MAN ADVICE

i really liked reading this. because it comes off cute and i'm like "Oh ryan! you adorable scamp!"

but then i imagine if i KNEW that girl and you DID hit on her and she told me about it later.

"DUDE. I was just shopping with my mom. I was buying a fucking BRA and the guy at the register decided to hit on me!!! i'm buying a bra AND he hit on me in front of my mom!!! WTF!!! who does that!!"

and i would definitely lol all the way home.

ps. i love you.

Liked for use of "scamp"

good on ya nicky!

I'm sure your fellow lesbian folk can say something better but don't let it get you down. I'm sure almost every gay person has someone in their family that doesn't approve. Sucks that it is a mom and not a cousin or something. But if not her it would be someone else. Just gotta do you. Intolerance and disapproval is going to be a part of your life, hopefully just a small one with a lot of happiness otherwise.

And it doesn't even sound that bad. She might just be thinking "I'm ok with my daughter being gay but I want give it some time to make 100% sure this is her life choice before I have that conversation with the rest of the family". It's not the best way to play it, but it could be a whole lot worse. If she accepts you around, that's a sign it will probably work out fine with the family in time.

heh, in my family it's some distant cousins who are big bible thumpers. on the other side of it, you have my parents, who wanted to know which week this month she was staying with me so as not to cramp our style, ha.

well she's been out to her immediate family for a decade, and we've been together for two years at the end of this month, so neither of these things are news to her mom. her brother told her that their mom was just being dumb and lazy. either way, my lady's coming back in july for at least a month, so it miiiiight have to be addressed that time around. it's just nice to not have to feel like anything needs to be hidden or that there's any shame in anything.

Does anyone know anyone who just went cold turkey on heroine? Most of my knowledge of hard drugs comes from "Intervention". I've been sheltered from it.

From what I do know, girl needs rehab. Not sure how reliable the source is but it says 87% relapse rate for heroine users, and that is with treatment. Couldn't image anyone just kicking it without help.

http://soberplace.com/common-relapse-rates-in-drug-recovery/

nope. every heroine addict i've known has had to really want to get off and relapsed a few times before completely quitting. it's not easy, but they had a lot of support from our friends and their family. john's been sober for 13 years and now has a few kids and a wife. his ex girlfriend (i think it's sam) wound up cleaning up quickly mainly because for some odd reason she never got addicted, it was just a phase for her (which is fuckin' weird). she moved on to coke, then just quit after a few months, and for the last 10 or 12 years has just smoked cigarettes. she stopped drinking too. she said the alcohol is what got her to just say "fuck it" and do it in the first place. she got over her partying phase and just sobered up and went back to school and got her shit together. she's now a vet somewhere in colorado or something, last i heard. actually almost all my friends are sober now and have families and girlfriends/boyfriends and shit. 

yeah, one of my good friends from high school had an awful time getting off it. several trips to rehab and relapses. we tried being supportive, until he was arrested for stealing packages off peoples porches during christmas time last year. lately, he's posted some pictures of himself on facebook, and has gained some weight, which we all pray is a good thing.

yeah i'm def. going to be distancing myself from her a bit.

on my kid free days, we'll probably still see each other.

she really does dig me a lot, and i dig her too, but this is a little disappointing to say the least.

sarah took the girls yesterday for the first time since she left, and brought them back at 8am this morning, complaining that they 'drove her crazy'.

so she's probably only going to do the 'one day a week' thing, unfortunately, but whatever.

also sarah's mom keeps promising to take the girls over the weekend and backing out last minute, because she's 'too busy'.

looks like i'm still more or less the full time dad, which i don't mind, but a little more freedom would be nice.

I'm no therapist or counselor or anything, just a dude in MI posting on a web site. But I'd add this to my earlier statement and then I'm good --

Every one of us would get a huge personal or emotional win for ourselves from being the one that is there for an addict and their support going through the tough times. The problem is that it is the origin of codependency and is counter-productive to them getting better. If this girl is chemically dependent on heroine, she needs to hit rehab, figure out how to be happy on her own, then find someone to share her life with. It's a process of months to years. Don't be the one little life ring that keeps her from sucked into the whirlpool of rehab and spit out on the other side with a better life. Being her new crutch (if that's where this goes) might be the absolute worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm no therapist or counselor or anything, just a dude in MI posting on a web site. But I'd add this to my earlier statement and then I'm good --

Every one of us would get a huge personal or emotional win for ourselves from being the one that is there for an addict and their support going through the tough times. The problem is that it is the origin of codependency and is counter-productive to them getting better. If this girl is chemically dependent on heroine, she needs to hit rehab, figure out how to be happy on her own, then find someone to share her life with. It's a process of months to years. Don't be the one little life ring that keeps her from sucked into the whirlpool of rehab and spit out on the other side with a better life. Being her new crutch (if that's where this goes) might be the absolute worst thing you could possibly do.

she said she didn't use it enough to be an 'addict', she's just decided to stop, and she's going through a detox.

she says she's used it maybe 20 times in her life, and it wasn't a daily thing, but was starting to become one, which is why she stopped.

she said she didn't use it enough to be an 'addict', she's just decided to stop, and she's going through a detox.

she says she's used it maybe 20 times in her life, and it wasn't a daily thing, but was starting to become one, which is why she stopped.

Hope so -- For you and her. I've heard it said before that you can get hooked on that stuff the first time. If that's an exaggeration, maybe only a couple. Using heroine 20 times seems like a lot to me. Stuff is wicked. Keep your guard up for a while.

one of the raddest girls I know was a meth addict years ago, she quit prior to me meeting her, but she said she hasn't slipped once since quitting.  seeing her you would never suspect that she was a former drug addict as she's pretty successful, focused, and super attractive (she looks almost exactly like Katy Perry)

goal for the weekend: hang out with a different girl tonight, tomorrow, sunday. 

edit: plans for tonight with hotel girl. okcupid date sunday. i'd say my best bet for the trifecta is incoherent drunk babe from last weekend. woo!

nobody does heroin as a recreational drug, it isn't a "hey, it's Friday, let's go shoot up" kinda drug, heroin is some pretty heavy shit, but that doesn't mean that with the right dedication and support system she won't be able to rid herself of the habit

so i'm thinkin' tomorrow's plans are a bust.

but i'm off to get sushi with babe #2.

i'm so proud of how grimey my intentions are this weekend.