Shipping overseas tips

So, i've shipped records overseas many times with no issues, but i just sold a record on ebay that was really expensive. i am shipping it to italy, and want to make sure i'm totally covered in case anything happens. what is the best method to ship? they paid $90 to insure it gets tracked and insured. you guys have any tips?

The few times that I've shipped extremely expensive records (including one to Italy), I basically double boxed them. First, I package it up as usual, which could survive being thrown down a flight of stairs with no issue. Then I just get a slightly bigger box and package it up again. Just watch the dimension limits, but it shouldn't be an issue.

The few times that I've shipped extremely expensive records (including one to Italy), I basically double boxed them. First, I package it up as usual, which could survive being thrown down a flight of stairs with no issue. Then I just get a slightly bigger box and package it up again. Just watch the dimension limits, but it shouldn't be an issue.

This exactly. I package in an LP mailer just as I would a normal auction, and then find a slightly bigger box to stick that one in. Never had a problem.

The safest way to ship an expensive package here in Italy is to send by courier (fedex, ups, tnt) so the buyer can pay the customs fees to the courier. Otherwise the package gets stopped at customs that send you a letter, usually this letter arrives after months.

For cheap records first class is ok, just put as description "gift" or "merchandise" and value under 20$.

Never received a broken parcel.

hey guys...im shipping a record out to Australia , ill do the smaller box inside a bigger box. How can I get the guy a tracking number? Is there a shipping service that is better than another one for international shipping etc?

USPS has pretty affordable international shipping. First class is usually between $15-$20 but you do not get insurance or tracking. You have to upgrade to their priority international shipping, which is far more expensive and generally considered cost prohibitive unless you're shipping a very valuable record. I don't recommend double boxing or going beyond first class international in general.

ive heard from a friend that travels to italy a bit that the issue there is the customs agents never believe the stated value on the boxes and tend to open them to verify... so supposedly don't fudge the $$ and it might help to have a printed invoice in a sleeve on the outside of the box to deter them from riflling through it

What do you call some kind of damage though?

Because sometimes things are just goin tk happen, no matter how well you package it. Small corner dings, eh I can live with that. Oh can package it up like a tank and it will still occur. Slight warping, the same

Bent corners, inner seam splits, broken records and bad warping really grind my gears though. Especially when you can pinpoint it to poor packaging or blatant mishandling by a postal service.

I've personally only had two broken records in my life, one shipped in a bubble mailer, and one bought from a thrift store $1 bin.

TLDR; shits going to happen to records in long distant transit. Don't be a dick about things and express to the seller how you'd prefer your things sent. E: record outside of the sleeve and jacket, cardboard insert, preferably a fresh mailer.

Seriously? Half of my collections is from US (I live in europe) and every single parcel has had some kind of damage (no matter what service I use - courier or not)

I received only a cd sleeve broken, shipped in a bubble mailer togheter with a 7". The record was in a cardboard insert and had not damages :lol:

Maybe I've been lucky but a think that a record mailer with insert should be enough.

As jase said, record outside of the sleeve is the best way but when you buy new records this couldn't happen.

Most of my records from the US arrive beat up. There is something violent about the USPS international handling than that of other countries. Almost every mailer has a scrunched up corner. I can only guess that they are flung onto the plane to Japan.

Mailers that arrive in nice condition have sturdy cardboard sandwiching both sides of the LP. The record should be shipped in a protective sleeve outside the jacket to prevent seem splits.

If you're in the US and you're sending a package overseas, you need to imagine that it will be flung, dropped, etc.

It's about $38 US dollars from memory, but last timeni did that I think it was west coast. So it could be more from the east. Honestly, If it's coming to Australia it will get here fine.

Out postal is pathetic at Xmas, but quite reliable every other time of year. Just pack it well and all will be good

• 1 year later...

Mostly all of my records sent from the US/Canada arrive okay (to the UK), had a few seam splits but generally I order 3/4 records and they come in the folded cardboard boxes rather than actual record mailers which I think helps.

My pet hate with international shipping is this Global Shipping Scheme which eBay have now (when I run a Google search how can I not see people complaining about it everywhere!?). I recently won a Dads record on there for $30- but ended up paying $71! I had to pay for the sender to send to a courier, the courier to send over, and THEN customs charges based on those two sets of shipping! Without this, the sender would usually declare the parcel as a $20 gift, send for $18 postage or however much it is, and i'd get it for $38 not $71- cleared me out!

Global shipping scheme? Are you saying that if I sold you a record on eBay, I couldn't just mark it as a gift and charge you the actual cost like I've always done? Hard to believe, I think you had one bad experience because that's how that particular seller chose to do it.

You could do that (indeed that's what most people do) but eBay has introduced this scheme an increasing number of sellers are opting in because ebay are promoting it for security/easiness. Was the first time I used it so didn't think i'd get stung that badly but now when I see it advertised i'm staying well clear (a shame, because there's been some great records for good prices but I know the price will x2 or x3 under that).

I just shipped an LP to the UK a few weeks ago it cost me like 18 bucks. I havent r\heard anything back from the buyer, I used eBay and we kept in touch through the process but I'm starting to get nervous that he hasn't gotten it yet. Not sure what's going to happen if he doesn't get it since I don't have a second copy of it. Anyone ever have similar issues?

• 1 year later...

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs to ship a single LP from the US to Canada?

For a one pound, first class package to canada, it should be a bit under $11 if you ship from USPS.com and print your postage, or about $12 if you ship from the post office.

This is insanely easy to use: http://postcalc.usps.com/