$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Two weeks ago on craigslist I saw an ad for a U-Turn Table and immediately responded.   Turns out the guy is leaving the company, returning to Portland, and was selling the TT he built himself.   Two days later I took the trip to Boston and got myself the TT in black with MDF and Acrylic Platter, two belts, two motors (one black, one white), dustcover, power pack, rca cords and was mounted with a Oroton OM5E for a reasonable price.   Unplugged my MMF 5.1e and have been using the unit consistently for two weeks.  

I am not an audiophile but have progressed over the last 10 years from a Crosley all-in-one unit, LP60, JVC Q4 (direct drive 80's unit), MMF 5.1 and have finally settled on a slightly beat MMF 5.1e with Oroton Blue cartridge.   The last two units were purchased from CL.   For anyone near Boston or NH there is an MMF 2.1 ad right now for $265.  

My quick thoughts.   Although the hardware does not have the extras of the 5.1 such as adjustable feet, built-in level or cue, the unit is nice and I like being able to see the belt and hardware spinning the platter.   Kinda strange that the motor is in a rubber gasket and moves around a little (not solid as on the 5.1).   My unit does need a little quick spin to get moving but I can live with that non-perfect start.   Also after about a week the belt seemed to slip a little and I just put the belt back in the plastic bag with some sort of powder, re-installed, and all was good again.   Regarding the non-starting issue, I tied both motors but neither made a difference, the combination just would not go when the on button is pushed.   

Of course I had to ask him "what is taking so long for all the orders.?"   His response was that they get 1000 pieces of an item but if something is off by a millimeter the piece is not good and the company has to wait weeks for the replacement part.   Stated 5 guys work in the factory.   He would not tell me what he is going back to Portland to do but said we will be hearing about his new adventure soon enough.   

With all that said.   The bottom line is this unit sounds as good as my MMF 5.1e and will be on my porch in the summer.   Very happy with the purchase.   Also I am done with the computer for tonight and will be back tomorrow to post photos or answer any questions in the morning.  

I got it today and it sounds great. I can't really judge the sound quality because my old table was a Jensen (Crosley's cousin) but its more than I expected. The belt is a lot easier to adjust than I previously thought as well. The only thing I don't really like is the lack of a tonearm lifter but its manageable. I also didn't get the coupon for 50% off one, was that for backers only?

Did I miss something? Last I checked mine was supposed to arrive the week of the 24th of this month, and now it's changed to the week of the 31st? 

Unfortunately, they keep bumping everyone back without saying anything.

I was February 7th after the delay email went out. I'm not March 10th.

I'm getting more and more pissed off. I knew there was a wait when I first ordered, but this is ridiculous that it keeps getting longer.

I'm hoping that once I will receive that turntable, that it will be good enough to make me forget about this company's terrible customer service.

I work in customer service and if I pulled this shit with our clients, I would have been fired on the spot.

In case anyone wants to read the actual Fremer review.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/u-turn%E2%80%99s-remarkable-179-orbit-turntable-crosley-killer

I was kind of shocked to read that the overhang wasn't set to an actual standard, but with a little effort, fixable.

Now that Orbit has their configurator online, perhaps someone knowledgeable could do a comparison of an Orbit with a few more options vs. a comparably priced Carbon.

Orbit:

Platter: Acrylic

Cartridge: Grado Blue1

$349

Orbit:

Platter: Acrylic

Cartridge: Grado Black1

$299

Carbon: $350-$399

Maybe not apples to apples, but the price points are still not too far off. How do the cartridges compare? As for the Orbit delays, I could forgive that if I ordered one, but them not communicating status might be a deal breaker.