Whirr / Anne Split 2x7" Coming Soon from RFC

what is it with cassettes right now?

Some people buy records because they're from before their time and a novelty.

I think for that same reason some younger fans are drawn to cassettes... and where there is demand so will follow supply.

The funny thing, though, is that I think some people who are in their 30/40 year old range are also drawn to cassettes because of the endearment to making and receiving mixtapes back in the day.

I think it's a bit silly that we're seeing them again, but in rare instances where it's the sole format I will pick one up occasionally (like the Anne mixtape) and they're usually reasonably cheap.

The funny thing, though, is that I think some people who are in their 30/40 year old range are also drawn to cassettes because of the endearment to making and receiving mixtapes back in the day.

Yup. I'm definitely in that category. It was always records and cassettes when I was growing up and getting into music more and more.

And of course...mix tapes...all that Rob Gordon says about them in High Fidelity is completely true.

My dad had a huge record collection growing up, and I would get my music from a place called Tape World(talk about horrible long-term strategizing) in the mall. I don't plan on abandoning vinyl/cassettes/cds anytime soon. MP3s are the only thing I won't drop money on. As long as it's a physical format, I'm game.

To each their own, i'm not knocking anything down here.

I'm big into still getting a physical product for money i spend. But, these are the times and I like my music to be mobile as well and i want to be able to have that MP3 option. Most records (all should in my opinion) come with MP3... I don't really want to have to buy 2 different formats to get music i buy into MP3 format.

I can easily put CDs into this MP3.

But, i definitely don't have a tape player any longer, nor do i think a tape would give me any better sound quality than either of the other formats mentioned. Nostalgia... I get it, but for me, it's no longer practical with other options. And, my music enjoyment started before CDs.

BTW, I have never just bought an MP3. don't people know that if they just buy the music they here on the radio via itunes then they are:

A: Letting someone else pick their music

B: Probably missing out on the best songs from an album / artist

Surprisingly, a lot of people don't think of this.

I'm 28 but I was into making/receiving mixtapes all the time as a youngster (as well as taping stuff from the radio and what not). I'm okay with tapes being alive and well but there's always gonna be the people that think it's stupid. It's a good way for bands that don't have much money to get a physical format out there.

I noticed the new tapes coming out in 2003-2004 and didn't think it would last long as long as it has so far. I'm happy they're still around and I'll continue to grab tapes that interest me.

Someone give me a crash course on Anne. I haven't jumped on this split yet because I know nothing of them and am hesitant to drop the cash on something I'm only partly familiar with.

What releases do they have out? Where can I get them?

They put out an LP on a389 called Dreampunx. It's a collection of their demo and first EP.

Two months ago we put out a newer 7" called Power Exchange. Listen to the title track here: http://runforcoverre.../power-exchange

I believe a380 has Dreampunx (we're sold out).

Thank you.

They put out an LP on a389 called Dreampunx. It's a collection of their demo and first EP.

Two months ago we put out a newer 7" called Power Exchange. Listen to the title track here: http://runforcoverre.../power-exchange

I believe a380 has Dreampunx (we're sold out).

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got info on the release date? Can't find anything

10/16. Looking like we'll make it with no issue. Did I just jinx it?

Listened to the download tonight, hell of a split. Nice work putting this together Jeff.

Thanks. I really decided to go crazy on this release. I upgraded the jackets to the heaviest stock gatefold jackets last night and the plant responded with a new quote. I did the math and we have to sell every copy to break even. No money made until the repress. These bands deserve money, so if you haven't, buy a copy :)

Good pitch?

What other artists would you guys recommend along the lines of Whirr/Averkiou/Anne?

Lush, Swervedriver, Lilys, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Catherine Wheel, Swirlies, Boo Radleys, Curve, Drop Nineteens, Medicine, Slowdive, Asobi Seksu...to name just a few. This is mostly the older stuff aside from 1 or 2 bands.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably shouldn't have posted a picture of the etching, because although it does look like it looks cool, they actually messed it up pretty bad.

When I sent them the design I had made, the plant wrote back saying the needed an un rasterized file, along with the font, or the text would come out really shitty in the etching. I sent them what they needed but they used the old file by accident, and lo and behold, it came out shitty. We rejected the tests last week and a new one is being sent out Friday.

So yeah, there's gonna be a little delay but it will still be shipping this month.

• 3 weeks later...