woman punched in the face by philly cop

She might have been annoying but it's unnecessary. You take an OT shift at a parade or sporting event and guess what? You have to deal with a few drunks and boisterous people out for a good time. Small price to pay for time and a half or double time. In this situation he has all the power and authority - there is no need to take any significant action against an unarmed citizen half your size.

Looks like this guy has a history of complaints and violence. He's likely unfit to be wearing the uniform if that little annoyance makes him snap. We'll see what comes out in the days ahead.

yeah after watching it a few times I kind've thought that as well (the not a punch more of a slap). Ultimately though I really don't see any justification it was clearly a violent unnecessary act on his part. I'd hate to see what he would've done had someone done something actually/potentially harmful.

Not to mention pulling that shit from behind. what a fine example to portray.

edit: just read jerseydave's comment :0

Some more info about the cop

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=8831156

That article is laughable.

That officer, Lt. Jonathan Josey, 39, is assigned to Highway Patrol and is a 19 year veteran of the force.

Lt. Josey has been on the force for 20 years.

The woman who was hit is Aida Gusman, a 39-year-old domestic worker and mother of three from Chester, Pa.

"I'm 40 years old. I don't have time to play games like that," Gusman said.

A source who has seen Josey's file tells Action News he has roughly 20 internal affairs complaints, some for allegedly being physically and verbally abusive.

- Why not say the exact amount of complaints and exactly how many were for physical abuse.

Where are people getting the idea of silly string from? Some guy with a black longsleeve top and black shorts, who barely comes into the video, throws water on them. Cops see her giving them shit or complimenting them, whatever, while holding a bottle and assume it was her. The cop's reaction was way overboard and if you can't at least see that then you have problems.

That said I am in two minds as to whether it was intentional or not.

Possibly from the can of silly string that she was spraying in the video? I don't know.

I hadn't actually seen the silly string until now (must not have zoomed in much). while I'm not condoning the cop's actions, I have no sympathy for someone who voluntarily provokes someone and subsequently gets hit in the face.

maybe she needs to listen to this chick:

"I'm 40 years old. I don't have time to play games like that," Gusman said

wait a minute, that was her? after "den[ying] throwing anything at police and say[ing] she had no idea why she was punched"? and her children were there? hmm...

Possibly from the can of silly string that she was spraying in the video? I don't know.

y4OAb.gif

Or did you mean "Where did the inventor of silly string get the idea from?"

Nice gif. Cop wasn't unprovoked, so she is not blameless. However, cop did overreact, but probably did so only because he was hot over what was initially going on. If theres a swarm of cops, stay away. End of story.

It was an after party for a parade. The cops were there for security and then called in more for an erratic driver. The people were allowed in the streets. The cops were at a city party and were upset that silly string was sprayed on them? She is completely blame free as she was partaking in the festivities of the day. This guy is a cop and felt that the best way to apprehend a suspect (that wasnt warned or asked to submit to arrest) was to just slap/punch in their face and not actually follow police procedure? Nevermind the fact that he had no idea who he was looking for and instead went for the closest person to him as the culprit for throwing the beer. You would think that when you are an officer in this situation where you know it is a party and that many people are around you may want to make sure you have the right person who committed the crime opposed to just swinging wildly at the closest person to you.

Just like in any profession, policemen and women feel the need to "earn their money", to the detriment of actually improving a situation. Just look at how many cops are standing around this "routine traffic stop" or whatever they're calling it. They're chomping at the bit to get a pat on the shoulder and a "good job" from Daddy.

On the other hand, you have people like this woman who want to be caught by Daddy and scolded because they too were ignored as children. It's a simple game that should've ended with a slap on the wrist or a stern talking to--a simple intimacy exchange for both parties. What she didn't anticipate was that this power-tripping "policeman" would use this silly string escapade as an excuse to reconcile his own dark memories of abuse and humiliation.

:[

2. To make or shoot scenes.

Sean, something tells me you had that stodgy old professor who couldn't deal with the invention of Beta cameras and felt it his duty to correct every student who ever used the term film when in fact they were on a tape-based format.

As a TV professional, I've never had a miscommunication when using the term film. Nor have I had a problem understanding what someone meant when using the term in discussion with me. I prefer the neutral "shoot" but it is such a small deal. Or maybe they'd care more about it in LA than they do in NYC.

[media=]

[/media]

This just happened in my town about a week ago. I think it's a bit more severe than this parade smack.

my dad told me about that last night. and yes, infinitely worse.

Jesus christ, what is that dudes problem? Even if the cop was assaulted with that slap (which legally would not hold up in a court of law if it was between two civilians) the flurry of punches and the ddt from the wheelchair is way more than he needed to make the person stop the assault.

What is really fucked up is the guy in the wheelchair was charged with felony assault for his attack on the officer (which the station dropped after the video came out) and the PD is trying to get the officer with a misdemeanor fifth-degree assault. The officer also put in his report that he only punched him twice during the whole thing.

Oh and he signed a final and last chance agreement in March that said any future acts or omissions which violate public trust and/or violate (police policy) will be deemed an act of gross insubordination justifying termination. Sounds like a classy man all around.

To follow up on the Philly story:

""Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey has decided to take 'Commissioner’s Direct Action' against Police Lt. Jonathan Josey for his actions on Sept. 30, 2012, on the 2700 block of North 5th Street," said the department's announcement. "Effective Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012, Lieutenant Jonathan Josey will be suspended for thirty days with the intent to dismiss."

This sort of quick action doesn't happen to officers with clean records or those acting within their authority.

Sean, something tells me you had that stodgy old professor who couldn't deal with the invention of Beta cameras and felt it his duty to correct every student who ever used the term film when in fact they were on a tape-based format.

As a TV professional, I've never had a miscommunication when using the term film. Nor have I had a problem understanding what someone meant when using the term in discussion with me. I prefer the neutral "shoot" but it is such a small deal. Or maybe they'd care more about it in LA than they do in NYC.

yeah art institute was full of arrogant teachers that never really made it in the biz.

my correction of him was total sarcasm tho.

it's kinda like folks getting mad when people say vinylz