Ban on cell phones at shows

Not gunna read through the comments, but I'd like to add that when I saw Aziz he told everyone to take out their cameras/phones now and take a bunch of pictures and then put them away for the rest of the show and anyone taking pictures after that will be asked to leave. It is very possible for a phone ban to work it just takes an artist to step up and a cooperative staff to enforce the rules and a willing crowd.

also saw that tour, and completely forgot about it until i watched the special last week.

I just came here to say I'm seeing louis c.k next friday and I am fucking jazzed. and that my friends and I are close enough that we'll often be like 'hey asshole, put your phone down', if we are all out together eating dinner or something. I'm much rather be in the moment having fun than trying to get the perfect angle of my meal for instagram.

Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on this idea ? I'm all for it really anymore i'm completely fed up with Bright blue screens obscuring my view at any given moment.

As someone who likes to take photos (i won't give my self the liberty of the title photographer yet) I can completely understand the want to take photos i get that. It would be cool if they would implement some kind of rule like cameras for the first 3 songs of each band. In reality I know that will never work. the nice thing about GA is you don't have to stay in one set place but lets be realistic no matter where you go sure enough...

I think last night when I went to see louis ck in cleveland is what just really irked me.

I was a row behind these two drunk bro dudes just being obnoxious as shit repeating some of his lines loudly, clapping/laughing way after the joke and whipping out the cell texting/taking pics the entire set. Every single person around them was entirely pissed even after 3 people scolded them they didn't stop. someone went and told the seating host nothing happend.

Not really a hinderance to me but I also remember when I went and saw frank turner and this couple just sat there the entire show and texted or looked at apps. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE ? the show was sold out and someone who actually wanted to see the show could have went.

Ultimately emergencies require you to have a cell phone but i mean is it really that hard to keep that shit on viberate & go to the back of the venue/bathroom ?

don't go to a Dan Deacon show for sure if this bugs you......dude has his own app that you use during the show....your head my implode

oh come on. you're telling me you have never taken out your phone to take a picture, record a video or song at a show, ever? Just because you dont like it, dont do it, are annoyed with it doesnt mean that other people shouldnt be allowed to do whatever they want at a show. Its harmless, if you are annoyed, move, or ask them politely, or just suck it up. I think its awesome that people WANT to take photos or video of a comedian or a band/artist.

As someone who used to be a concert photographer, all the people at the front of the show snapping pictures with their cell phones with flashes pissed me off. 99% of the time the rule for photographers was first 3 songs and no flash, but anyone behind the barrier could shoot away with a flash whenever they want. I have a bunch of pictures that would have been awesome, except the band member is all washed out because of a cell phone flash. Honestly I have no problem with them taking pictures, just don't use your damn flash.

I get the argument that people with phones are annoying at shows, but it would be pretty tough/unpopular to force a ban. There are assholes but its not everybody.

Personally security should be more strict in searching for drugs at shows. I was at Minus The Bear last Saturday in NYC and there were about 4 different groups around me smoking weed. Give me a fucking break, shit is rude and disgusting and not to mention illegal. Don't tell me thats part of the show environment and you "have to do it when you listen to (X) band." Fuck I have almost fought people over this. I usually push the biggest asshole at the show into the smokers. Go home and smoke weed and jerk off to the record.

deodorant should be mandatory

This x 1,000. Especially at house shows.

i dont care about people just using their phones.

its the fucking morons who spend an entire show taking shitty indistinguishable pictures. or shitty 30 second inaudible videos.

put down your fucking phone and watch the show nooowwwwww. it wont be 1/10000th as good later when you upload it on to facebook for your friends to see... your friends who probably have no idea who this band is because your friends are assholes with shitty taste.

Dude. You just knocked it out of the fucking park. I applaud you.

The worst thing I had ever experienced was last year when I saw Rush in Cleveland. The fucking show was being filmed for a DVD THAT NIGHT and people were still taking video. I just don't get it.

I've been to venues where taking photos with a cell phone or even camera (unless you're in the camera crew of course) is prohibited. Case in point: I went to see Fiona Apple twice earlier this week/weekend. The first night on Sunday I caught the show at the Fillmore Theater in Miami Beach. Show was great. Seated floor but everyone had their own space when standing. But around me I had a drunk Woo-girl who not only kept coming close to spilling her wine all over me, but kept recording the performance with her iPhone. I am sure that recording came out all wobbly and shaky. And then the bro in front of me with his girl was recording it as well and blocking my view at any given time.

The next night I went to the Hard Rock Live in Orlando. Show was better sound-wise and crowd. But I went to reach for my phone to take one picture since I was pretty close to the stage in the GA standing floor, and one of the security guys tapped me on the shoulder and had me put my phone down. I had forgotten that HRL has a no picture policy for every show.

For me it's always been hit or miss with people around me spending more time taking pictures and recording. Some shows I've seen some that's all they fuckin' do. Sure, I take a few pictures myself but I don't spend the whole show doing it.

I am more dumbfounded at the people who video record the show with their cell phone. Who really wants to watch a crappy video of the show with shitty audio?

deodorant should be mandatory

Yes it should be. I was at a show one time where this guy smelled like a cat had peed all over him :-/

Cell phones don't bother me too much at shows unless the person is just constantly playing with it and doesn't seem to be watching the show at all.

Personally security should be more strict in searching for drugs at shows. I was at Minus The Bear last Saturday in NYC and there were about 4 different groups around me smoking weed. Give me a fucking break, shit is rude and disgusting and not to mention illegal.

lol, oh no!!! It's illegal!

I personally prefer people smoking and enjoying the music over people drinking to a band they only know one song from.

Personally security should be more strict in searching for drugs at shows. I was at Minus The Bear last Saturday in NYC and there were about 4 different groups around me smoking weed. Give me a fucking break, shit is rude and disgusting and not to mention illegal. Don't tell me thats part of the show environment and you "have to do it when you listen to (X) band." Fuck I have almost fought people over this. I usually push the biggest asshole at the show into the smokers. Go home and smoke weed and jerk off to the record..

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

People that are stoned are much better behaved than drunk people.

Oh my, call the police, people are smoking at a minus the bear show.

Fuck I have almost fought people over this.

- Let me guess they didn't fight back because they were stoned. Smoke a j and relax.

I usually push the biggest asshole at the show into the smokers.

- Doesn't that make you the biggest asshole? You throw yourself at smokers?

Go home and smoke weed and jerk off to the record.

- So stay home? And what does jerking off have to do with anything.

lol, oh no!!! It's illegal!

I personally prefer people smoking and enjoying the music over people drinking to a band they only know one song from.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

People that are stoned are much better behaved than drunk people.

Oh my, call the police, people are smoking at a minus the bear show.

Fuck I have almost fought people over this.

- Let me guess they didn't fight back because they were stoned. Smoke a j and relax.

I usually push the biggest asshole at the show into the smokers.

- Doesn't that make you the biggest asshole? You throw yourself at smokers?

Go home and smoke weed and jerk off to the record.

- So stay home? And what does jerking off have to do with anything.

I don't get these last two posts. We're having a discussion over people and cell phones (which can be annoying, but not the most annoying thing at shows) and I talk about something more gross, annoying, and offensive and somehow I'm wrong, uptight, and an asshole? Am I missing something.

Bronchitis - I agree that drunk people in general at shows are more annoying, especially those who only know one song and yell to play it every 5 minutes. That said it doesn't change how I feel about smokers.

Paul - C'mon man really. I mean my post did sound a little immature, but lets be real. No I'm not calling the police but it is what it is. Illegal and gross. I should be more specific, at that show (or any show in particular) if someone is smoking I first ask them to put it out. Most oblige, no problem. Two assholes in front of me looked at me like I had 5 heads and continued for a good 5 minutes. I took an annoying push mosh snoopy dancer and pushed him into them. Self policing I guess. No that doesn't make me the biggest asshole. The fight almost happened at another show with another aggressive asshole. The jerking off comment was immature. Sorry if you or anyone else is offended.

I'm not debating smoking itself or legalization or whatever, people could do whatever. Just if I pay some money to go to some overpriced venue, I don't want smoke blown onto me if its not supposed to happen in the first place. Its a shared space. At house shows its a whole different ballgame. I usually just step outside after every set because its a house, they have their rules, and I pay a max of $8.

I get the argument that people with phones are annoying at shows, but it would be pretty tough/unpopular to force a ban. There are assholes but its not everybody.

Personally security should be more strict in searching for drugs at shows. I was at Minus The Bear last Saturday in NYC and there were about 4 different groups around me smoking weed. Give me a fucking break, shit is rude and disgusting and not to mention illegal. Don't tell me thats part of the show environment and you "have to do it when you listen to (X) band." Fuck I have almost fought people over this. I usually push the biggest asshole at the show into the smokers. Go home and smoke weed and jerk off to the record.

This x 1,000. Especially at house shows.

Was MTB at the Webster? I saw them there last year and could not believe how many people were smoking. That was also my first NYC experience, and basically the rest of the week of CMJ was pretty ridiculous. Especially odd future. Never seen so many people smoking at one show.

However, as one who partakes, I can't complain. Especially when people are cool enough to offer.

Was MTB at the Webster? I saw them there last year and could not believe how many people were smoking. That was also my first NYC experience, and basically the rest of the week of CMJ was pretty ridiculous. Especially odd future. Never seen so many people smoking at one show.

However, as one who partakes, I can't complain. Especially when people are cool enough to offer.

Nope. Best Buy Theater last Saturday. I guess I wasn't crazy in noticing more smokers than usual. Goes with the band I guess.

Smoking is so much more annoying than drinking. The smoke sticks to everyone, not to mention that you are infringing on my right to breathe clean air. I guess I am an asshole because I expect people to abide by the law when in a public place. I guess I should start going to shows naked and pissing on people, and if anyone complains I will just say Im having fun, "oh noooo its illegal! LOL" and then if they complain some more Ill just tell them to "get naked and relax".

Smoking is so much more annoying than drinking. The smoke sticks to everyone, not to mention that you are infringing on my right to breathe clean air. I guess I am an asshole because I expect people to abide by the law when in a public place. I guess I should start going to shows naked and pissing on people, and if anyone complains I will just say Im having fun, "oh noooo its illegal! LOL" and then if they complain some more Ill just tell them to "get naked and relax".

The act of drinking is less annoying, but a persons behavior after drinking is more annoying.

I could see if you guys were telling some one smoking a cigarette to put it out because yeah you could not want to breathe it in and it may make your clothes smell a little. But if people are smoking weed at a show they will most likely have some per-rolled joints or a one-hitter. They will take a couple puffs maybe pass it to their buddy next to them for a couple puffs they will probably blow the smoke down towards the floor so guards don't see it and boom they are done.