It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia [Season 8]

Anybody who says this show peaked before "The Nightman Cometh" doesn't know what they are talking about or simply hasn't seen that episode... and it wasn't until season four. Hands down, one of the best episodes in the series.

i often find myself telling people they need to pay the troll toll. not to get into a boy's hole mind you, but so i'll... hand them a beer or whatever.

• Initially, this episode was supposed to be the SEASON PREMIERE. [it also has
    a production code XIP08001.]
  • The alternate title of this episode easily could be "The Gang Solves the Trash Crisis".
  • Here's a photo from shootings of this episode which Danny DeVito posted on his Twitter on August 3, 2012.
  • This episode refers back to earlier Sunny jokes, with the entire premise of being a nod to the 4th Season's "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis". Glenn Howerton said what episode was thrown in as a wink to fans: "That was the only episode where we sort of address where these characters have been. It was kind of, I guess, our version of a flashback episode in a way - revisiting some territory and retreading territory, but that was just something we did for fun".
  • There's a multiple hints to the previous episodes in here: Mac (with drink), Dee, and Dennis were walking through alley just like in the beginning of "The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby"; "It's a sad, throwaway culture we live in" is Charlie's line from "The Gang Finds a Dead Guy"; bird jokes; voting conversation about blasting Dennis in his ass just like in "The Gang Runs for Office" (as well as Frank's suggestion for Dee to be dressed as a whore); Mac's plan ("Not gay sex"), the whole thing about selling the gas door to door, "Wild Card" thing, Charlie's southern accent danger, and the Ghostbusters theme song - that's all from "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis"; Mac's accent obsession is from "The Gang Gets Trapped"; bored state of The Gang is from "Chardee MacDennis"; tuxedos and limo are from "The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods" and "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"; Dee's yellow suit is from "The Gang Gives Back"; gay-classification conversations it's a reference to "The Gang Sells Out"; song "The Boys are Back in Town" is from 03x03 and 06x02; "Martina Martinez" was first seen in 04x03; when Frank refuses to work in the same team with Dennis and says "I need a lady-whore" - it's a reference to the times when Frank was Dennis' pimp. ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 1)"), ("The Gang Gets Whacked (Part 2)")
  • When Charlie says Dennis to "be classy and bang" the City councilman - probably, that's a reference to Dennis' hypothetical "frame-bang" from 05x08.
  • When Frank dances and singing "I still got the moves... " - that's a reference to his famous "Go For It"-dance from the "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom".
  • In "How Mac Got Fat" stated what Frank is not a good plan-maker, but apparently he is.
  • The Gang used to do an acapella vocalizations in 02x02 and 04x08.
  • Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson's oldest son Axel Lee is "obsessed with trash trucks" - that's one of the reasons why his daddy wrote this episode. ["...so we could have a trash truck on set and he could spend at least three or four hours with it. <...> It's going to blow his mind."]
  • There was a real "garbage strike" in Philadelphia, PA, which ran for 20 days in the heat of the July of 1986. Rob was a little kid at the time, but he do remembers the "piles of trash everywhere".
  • Frank and Charlie's obsession with trash was a major theme of a 3rd Season premiere (for a brief time
    they even turned into a pair of homeless people). Later, it transforms into their gentle love for hanging out
    into the sewers. ("Dee Gives Birth")
  • Here's a Frank's words from 06x11: "Animals should be food, rugs and trophies". So he's got a guy for the raccoon meat ("Mac and Dennis: Manhunters"), now he has a "rug guy" - wonder if he's got a "trophies guy", too.
  • In Season Six, Mac, Charlie and Dennis are used to wear tuxedos, too. ("The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods")Also, in Season Two Mac and Charlie were seen in the tailcoats. ("Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare")

i liked the concept behind this episode, somehow I felt the execution was off.

I generally hate shows that try to be clever, versus just being funny. It's what (to me) separates stuff like Parks and Rec and Community, which lean too heavily on appealing to smart people, versus stuff like Sunny or the League, which seem like a group of people just trying to make each other laugh. This episode was trying to hard to be clever.

In a weird way, I felt like this would have been a better series finale. I dunno, two episodes in and and both have references heavily or mildly past episodes.

i liked the concept behind this episode, somehow I felt the execution was off.

I generally hate shows that try to be clever, versus just being funny. It's what (to me) separates stuff like Parks and Rec and Community, which lean too heavily on appealing to smart people, versus stuff like Sunny or the League, which seem like a group of people just trying to make each other laugh. This episode was trying to hard to be clever.

In a weird way, I felt like this would have been a better series finale. I dunno, two episodes in and and both have references heavily or mildly past episodes.

Saying that community and parks and rec pander to smart people is dumb. They're just written by smart people. It's not like they've got frasier content... The shows are just written with true heart and direction.

Tonight being their first real attempt at a horror episode, i enjoyed it. But after seeing the Sunny Christmas Special where charlie is screaming "DID YOU FUCK MY MOM SANTA" with his face covered in blood, i've always wanted them to do a zombie episode. I guess this is probably as close as i'll ever get.... womp womp... I still say these last few season don't hold a candle to seasons 1-3, The Gang Runs for Office, Charlie Goes America All Over Their Asses, Hundred Dollar Baby... all those episodes are what made sunny successful in the first place, and they will never be surpassed nor even matched in my personal opinion. It seems to me, that when they let Charlie be Charlie... it's always golden. The braces thing this season was INCREDIBLE. Let the man show his illiteracy with pride! This show is top notch when it comes to comedy, but the last few seasons its been overshadowed by Parks and Rec, Community, Archer, Bob's Burgers and 30 Rock. That's just me though, 30 Rock has long been one of my favorites. Sunny and 30 Rock had a great run together, now it seems like i'm losing one after this season... hopefully Sunny has another 2 solid seasons left in them.

• 2 weeks later...