Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

well I was not looking for the 1st pressing version, I thought it was the 2nd pressing looking at the serial number on the back... so actually even the 2nd pressing looks black?

EDIT: I've bought it by following the link on the toolvinyl guide (the older one) ... it said that the common coloured vinyl were a kind of really bad quality versions, but there was this one that was slightly lower talking about quality than the 1st pressing... I hope It's not been a total flop

I bought each version of the bootleg when they came out a couple years ago fom Aural Exploits.com (not a plug - i don't think they are around anymore (i never got screwed by them but their reputation wasn't the best)) and they don't sound too bad.  The weight on the opaque marbled vinyl was nice and that version came with a better quality jacket and full color inserts etc.

Semantics question here: when people talk about the locked groove on the 1st press of Aenima, are they just talking about the SOUND of a locked groove that makes up the whole of Useful Idiot that's placed at the end of side A, or is that thing actually locked, like the record will just not stop spinning unless you pull the needle off? I have a legit 2nd press from '96 (lighter labels) that ends with Useful Idiot on side A and continues for a few seconds with the same sound to start side B.

Also, anyone knowledgeable able to tell me what all live tracks Tool have officially released (vinyl, cd or otherwise)?

Great thread and thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think of the sound quality of the 10,000 Days bootleg?

Is it worth the $40-$50. Even the Tool bootlegs seem to hold their value so im not too worried about the price if it sounds legit. Then when (IF) it's ever officially released I'll be able to primarily listen to das boot to keep the offical one nice.

Anyone know where I can find a first press of undertow?

That would depend on whether you mean the actual first pressing of Undertow (the grey or clear promo 12" without "Disgustipated") or the first commercial pressing that didn't get pressed until '96.

If you want the '96 version, this is a seriously great price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Undertow-12-2xLP-Zoo-BMG-1996-Reissue-/141183638927?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item20df335d8f Unfortunately, that copy is missing the original inner sleeves, hence the $26 price tag.

An original promo is gonna run you more than $100.