What albums/bands got you into music?

Offspring - Smash and Green Day - Dookie for me, i remember having my mind blown by the "stupid, dumb shit, goddamn motherfucker" line in Bad Habit because i had no idea people swore that bad in songs. I must've been about 9 at the time.

Definitely this. Prior to this I listened to the same rap stuff my cousins would listen to, so a lot of Ice Cube, Bone, and early Snoop stuff. Green Day "Dookie" and Offspring "Smash" blew my mind. I was also really into a lot of radio stuff back then, like Bush, the Goo Goo Dolls, etc. I used to look at cassette inserts so I could read Thank You lists to discover new bands. I got into hardcore in 8th grade from listening to Black Flag, the Misfits, and Fat bands, because a dude I thought was a badass would wear their shirts and write band names on his notebooks (I wonder if kids still do that).

Man. This is a tough one. I listen to so many different styles but to sum up it goes a little something like this: (these bands are the foundation)

NWA - straight outta Compton. First tape I ever owned.

Slayer, iron maden, gnr.

Greenday - dookie

Live - mental jewelry

Nirvana, STP, dinosaur jr, Alice in chains, PJ.

Siamese dream changed my life forever.

Now I'm into post rock and shoegaze. Go figure.

When I was like eight, I played Linkin Park's Hydro Theory and Meteora nonstop. After growing up a good bit, really the stuff that got me into music were Nirvana's Nevermind, From Autumn to Ashes' The Fiction We Live, Underoath's They're Only Chasing Safety, and Story of the Year's Page Avenue. Yes, this was in like 2004.

Dude I also played both linkin park albums non stop for a while. Chasing safety and story of the year was also heavily played back in the day

man i can't remember shit anymore. pretty sure my first cd was either meatloaf, aerosmith or the last action hero soundtrack.

music for me changed when i went to the library and took out sepultura chaos ad. i thought the cover was kick ass and i remember that was on my discman before every hockey game.

first thing i can remember since before i can even remember is my dad listening to a lot of pearl jam, along with some stp, soundgarden, alice in chains, and candlebox thrown in. i started out listening to that shit, then i remember taking dookie, and offspring-smash off his cd rack and liking them alot. this was at age 6. when i was 8 he bought let's face it by the bosstones and that was probably the first album i ever "loved" followed closely by ska-core, the devil, and more which he bought a few months later.

i'm so grateful to have a dad that's into such good music.

Rise Against's Revolutions Per Minute for me. I was 11. Strung Out and No Use right after that.

Around that same time I was in the music section at Best Buy looking around, at a Beastie Boys album specifically. A younger guy (early 20's) noticed me looking at it and started up a conversation about what type of music I was into and discouraged me from buying that one. He brought me over to a Pennywise album and strongly recommended picking that up. We chatted a bit more before he left, and as I sat there in awe over what an awesome guy I had just talked to, he came back in with a stack of roughly 20 CD's from his car he wanted to pass on to a cool dude. I listened to those CD's for years.

He really changed my life that day, and it will always be something that I remember. I've always wanted to pass on what he did for me to someone else.

Great thread.

The band/tape(the medium at the time) that, while it didn't get me into music, certainly changed my perception of music, was Descendents "Liveage." The moment I heard it, everything changed. I knew who I wanted to be, what I wanted to hear. Such an important record to me.

Rise Against's Revolutions Per Minute for me. I was 11. Strung Out and No Use right after that.

Around that same time I was in the music section at Best Buy looking around, at a Beastie Boys album specifically. A younger guy (early 20's) noticed me looking at it and started up a conversation about what type of music I was into and discouraged me from buying that one. He brought me over to a Pennywise album and strongly recommended picking that up. We chatted a bit more before he left, and as I sat there in awe over what an awesome guy I had just talked to, he came back in with a stack of roughly 20 CD's from his car he wanted to pass on to a cool dude. I listened to those CD's for years.

He really changed my life that day, and it will always be something that I remember. I've always wanted to pass on what he did for me to someone else.

Jokes on that guy for not realizing the genius of Beastie Boys and how incredible every album is. I would take any album of theirs over Pennywise any day and I enjoy Pennywise.

Jokes on that guy for not realizing the genius of Beastie Boys and how incredible every album is. I would take any album of theirs over Pennywise any day and I enjoy Pennywise.

To be fair, he did praise everything they had done but thought I'd enjoy that one more. I think his goal was to set me up with more bands like Pennywise rather than Beastie.

I remember owning Aerosmith cds, Marcy Playground, Eminem,etc (I'm 26 now, so this was maybe when I was 15) but none of that stuck.

The albums that got me into my current taste in music were "Anthem For A New Tomorrow", "let's talk about feelings", "apathy and exhaustion", "Good Mourning", and a few others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Oasis- (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

I was 8 years old when this album came out. My dad bought the cd and we would listen to it on the 2 or so hours it would take to drive out to the desert to ride our dirt bikes (So. Cal.)

I learned every word to every song and would listen to it over and over again. I loved that album and I still do.

My entrance to music was Beavis and Butthead. I will always remember and love Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" for being the one song/video that stands out most. That show also led to me listening to Metallica,Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Ramones, Helmet, Suicidal Tendencies, STP, Rollins Band, and of course, GWAR among others. It also made me hate all the hair metal and soft rock that came on in my parent's car because they made fun of it on the show. There was also that Space Jam soundtrack and shitty Columbia house CDs phase to discover music.Then blink-182 came out and I listen to less metal and alternative and got into a ton of punk and ska.

The Cure, Disintegration in particular. I was 13 and they were my first introduction to Alt after listening to nothing but top 40 radio. Sucks that it took me so long to get into the genre - my dad tried his hardest to bring me up on the legendary WBCN but I never listened to him. Shame it's gone now.

Anyways, still one of my all time favorite bands/albums. Still waiting for the chance to see them; hopefully next year if they come to the US.

Yahoo Radio and Skateboarding/BMX video games (Namely Dave Mirra's Radical Remix, Street Sk8er and Tony Hawk) were key too. I still have that Dave Mirra CD and remember actually playing the PS1 Street Sk8er came in my walkman jamming out to H2O, LTJ and The Pietasters. Good times.

Even though they suck something awful today, the first CD I ever bought was Green Day Dookie when I was 9. That opened the floodgates for me.

exactly. first explicit CD i owned. got me into alternative rock and punk.

Hatebreed - satisfaction & system of a down's first cd got me into heavy music.

american nightmare got me heavily into hardcore punk.

Linkin Park - Meteora was the first cd I ever went out and bought. Hybrid Theory had a huge impact on me. The first album that got me really into music and made me want to learn guitar was Green Day - Nimrod. Scattered was the coolest song. Some other notable mentions was all blink-182 albums before Neighborhoods, Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree, and The Offspring - Americana & Smash.

And like the guy said above, thanks Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series for introducing me to other awesome bands like AFI, Dead Kennedys, Rancid, Bloc Party, and others.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was 10, after being a devout rap/hip-hop fan, I borrowed my older brother's copy of Dookie and Nevermind which opened my eyes to some of the local music around me. Growing up in NJ when I was in middle school Saves the Day, Midtown, Catch 22, Big Wig, Glassjaw, Brand New, etc, etc that paved the way me to find slightly older stuff like Op Ivy, Rancid, NoFX and eventually everything else I've listened to along the way...and there was a huge ska period for me at one point