dammit, I wish I didn't already have seasons 1, 2, and 3.

For real. I think since I can't actually see it. 

So how does it work? A lot of it has to do with the shadows cast by the big green cylinder. As Adelson [creator of the illusion] explains, the brain has to assess how much light is coming off the surface of each square on the board. This is known as the luminance of each square, and the brain also has to figure out how much of the luminance (or lack thereof) is caused by the color of the square and how much is created by the shadows. So the brain has to figure out where the shadows are and then compensate for them, and that's where we start running into trouble.

Adelson 
:

"The first trick is based on local contrast. In shadow or not, a check that is lighter than its neighboring checks is probably lighter than average, and vice versa. In the figure, the light check in shadow is surrounded by darker checks. Thus, even though the check is physically dark, it is light when compared to its neighbors. The dark checks outside the shadow, conversely, are surrounded by lighter checks, so they look dark by comparison.

A second trick is based on the fact that shadows often have soft edges, while paint boundaries (like the checks) often have sharp edges. The visual system tends to ignore gradual changes in light level, so that it can determine the color of the surfaces without being misled by shadows. In this figure, the shadow looks like a shadow, both because it is fuzzy and because the shadow casting object is visible."

Part of the problem is where the squares are located. Most people know enough about checker or chessboards to know that a square will be the opposite color of all the adjacent squares. That means two squares that are next to each other, or separated by an even number of squares, should be different colors. Since squares A and B are two squares away, they logically should be different colors, and our brains 
really
 seem to want to think that as well.

But don't worry, says Professor Adelson. All this really means is that your brain is functioning the way it's supposed to:

"As with many so-called illusions, this effect really demonstrates the success rather than the failure of the visual system. The visual system is not very good at being a physical light meter, but that is not its purpose. The important task is to break the image information down into meaningful components, and thereby perceive the nature of the objects in view.
"

This is your subconscious assaulting you for hiding something from your mom that she will find out.

What are you hiding from your mom?

hahah nothing!

Congrats on the pregnancy egg! 

Your name is still very festive eggnog.

yes idk what to do lol. i was talking w shane about my plan of attack. if i change it to something easter-y on mar 1, i will be set until the end of april. thats why i didnt change it earlier bc then i wouldnt have a name change in time for easter.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic