That put a smile on my face. :)

No worries.  I feel bad for getting into it cause I know people tend to shy away from that type of stuff, and I don't want to be alienating.  Besides this is Small Talk, not Massive Talk.

I love talking about shit like this.  Lately a buddy and I have been debating Georgism Economics theory.  I hadn't even heard of it till he brought it up a year ago or so.  He's super into it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

I love talking about shit like this.  Lately a buddy and I have been debating Georgism Economics theory.  I hadn't even heard of it till he brought it up a year ago or so.  He's super into it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

I'm gonna have to read into this.  Hope it doesn't get me put on a 'list.'

Haha, yeah, we're hitting 115. Slight climate change.

I'm actually sweatin balls myself right now so I can't imagine what the heat there is like.  But the winters are rough!  Lots of shoveling!  People think 'global warming'  but its actually 'climate change' so we get more storms and shit than we used to cause the winds and everything increase.  More extreme weather on both ends, hotter summers and insane winters, at least for the past few years that's been the trend.

Hook us up with some ice cream?!

If you ever find yourself in Atlanta for some reason, haha.

Also, speaking of the heat, we're finally out of it for now, but we had a crazy heat wave late last month. It was at least 97°F (36°C) every day for two weeks, then it jumped back down into the upper 80s, which is where we normally are this time of year.

Nowhere close to Arizona summers, but still pretty hot.

I'm gonna have to read into this.  Hope it doesn't get me put on a 'list.'

I'm actually sweatin balls myself right now so I can't imagine what the heat there is like.  But the winters are rough!  Lots of shoveling!  People think 'global warming'  but its actually 'climate change' so we get more storms and shit than we used to cause the winds and everything increase.  More extreme weather on both ends, hotter summers and insane winters, at least for the past few years that's been the trend.

My favorite global warming article/story http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/5/curl-irony-alert-global-warmists-get-stuck-in-ice/?page=all

Also, speaking of the heat, we're finally out of it for now, but we had a crazy heat wave late last month. It was at least 97°F (36°C) every day for two weeks, then it jumped back down into the upper 80s, which is where we normally are this time of year.

Parts of AZ stay nice, just not where I live. Just got back from SF and the heat felt even more harsh

I've been to Hotlanta once... actually only drove though... it was raining and 'King of Pain' by The Police was playing on the radio and all I could think was 'this looks like a really beautiful city I'd like to spend some time here.'  Now every time I hear that song I think of Atlanta and rain on the windsheild.  Love that song.

Parts of AZ stay nice, just not where I live. Just got back from SF and the heat felt even more harsh

Judging by how hot it is here right now... I cannot fathom being that close to the equator.

I hope this isn't poor etiquette but I'm gonna post and respond to a quote from the pure noise thread so as not to further derail that thread.

Except that I would have said the same thing if the dude I was talking to was a woman, then it's "hey lady, what if this person was your mother, sister, friend, girlfriend."

It's more, what if this was a person you cared about that this had happened to.

I also would have said the same thing if it was a dude who was sexually assaulted but I would have used different gender pronouns.

I like you Bruce, but you get really worked up about gender stuff that shouldn't be a problem.

This isn't a gender issue, it's a sexual assault issue.

To address the last sentence first, sexual assault is a gender issue. Men can be sexually assaulted, obviouely, but it is not a part of our lives. It's not something a man has to worry about daily.

There's a reason I nitpick little things like this, regardless of intent. I get your intent and am not faulting you personally. It's just that little things like this contribute to an overall state of misogyny in our society. It's the little things that you don't think twice about that perpetuate misogyny. It's ingrained. Cultural/Systematic sexism (and racism) are the problem. Sexism on an individual level are not the problem. One racist or sexist person who actively hates women/people of color/gay people is an asshole, but more a symptom of the problem than the problem.

I've been to Hotlanta once... actually only drove though... it was raining and 'King of Pain' by The Police was playing on the radio and all I could think was 'this looks like a really beautiful city I'd like to spend some time here.'  Now every time I hear that song I think of Atlanta and rain on the windsheild.  Love that song.

Judging by how hot it is here right now... I cannot fathom being that close to the equator.

The mountain areas stay pretty nice. I think Flagstaff is still hitting highs in the 80s, with cool winters but not snow on the ground for 6 months straight.

It's not really a destination city or anything, but there are enough things to do to make a weekend getaway out of it. There are some great record stores too (Criminal, Wax 'n Facts, Decatur CD), and they're all pretty close to various train stations, which is a huge plus.

Also pro tip: if you ever do visit, try avoid calling it Hotlanta. ;)

I know I felt lame saying that.  Just cause we were also going on about the heat so I did.  I apologize for being a lamewad dork.

We all have our moments, haha.

I will say, though, it's sort of strange how many out-of-town people I hear say Hotlanta and mean it. Like, I don't think I've ever heard someone from the metro area ever call it that without joking.

We all have our moments, haha.

I will say, though, it's sort of strange how many out-of-town people I hear say Hotlanta and mean it. Like, I don't think I've ever heard someone from the metro area ever call it that without joking.

I hate when people call San Francisco "San Fran" or "Frisco".  It's definitely a tourist kinda thing to say.

How about Sassafras?  Not that anyone calls it that.  Maybe it could be a 'thing'?

damn its 5 AM here, I should probably get some sleep.

It's 2:20am here, but this is my noon pretty much.  Graveyard shift's got my circadian rhythms all fucked up.  I sleep when the normal folk are working, and I work while they sleep.

It's 2:20am here, but this is my noon pretty much.  Graveyard shift's got my circadian rhythms all fucked up.  I sleep when the normal folk are working, and I work while they sleep.

I did that for a while, recently almost attained normal person hours, but now I'm back to it again.

Wish I could get back to when I would get up at 4:30 AM and go for a bike ride and then be already on with my day when everyone else was just waking up.  Now I just stay up til 4:30 AM (or later) most nights.

I did that for a while, recently almost attained normal person hours, but now I'm back to it again.

Wish I could get back to when I would get up at 4:30 AM and go for a bike ride and then be already on with my day when everyone else was just waking up.  Now I just stay up til 4:30 AM (or later) most nights.

I'm forced to keep this schedule for work, not of my own volition.  Though when I did have the free time, I would usually settle into a schedule very similar to this.

I overslept today, since I forgot to set my alarm for the 730 shift instead of the 830 shift. I am not in a big rush though, since there will be no traffic downtown and no one in the parking deck at work.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic