Dick in the trash is always going to be comedy gold, dude

Doing stand up has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. For the last decade I've been telling myself "I'm totally gonna try it this year..."

It's never actually gonna happen.

For the longest time it was my dream too, but I never had to balls to actually attempt it.  i would always psych myself out right before and then make up some lame excuse that I was going to bomb anyways.  This recent breakup has really given me a "new lease on life" and made me push myself out of my comfort zone.  And I'm finding now that that's a good thing.

That's amazing. That story is amazing. Just steal stories from man advice and make material from it. Talk about your VC friends.

I could try that, but I don't know.  I stole my friend's opener ("This is my first time, so don't be disappointed... which is what I tell every woman I trick into sleeping with me.") because he forgot to say it, and I felt a little guilty afterward.  The good thing is he assured me it was okay because he couldn't use it next time, so win/win.

I feel my life is fucked up enough to fuel quite a few bits until all of my stories are depleted.  Then that means I have to get out and make more! :D  

I could try that, but I don't know. I stole my friend's opener ("This is my first time, so don't be disappointed... which is what I tell every woman I trick into sleeping with me.") because he forgot to say it, and I felt a little guilty afterward. The good thing is he assured me it was okay because he couldn't use it next time, so win/win.

I feel my life is fucked up enough to fuel quite a few bits until all of my stories are depleted. Then that means I have to get out and make more! :D

This is secretly my dream too. I love improv, I've experienced some crazy shit, and I always dreamed of being on SNL. But. I'm not that funny.

This is secretly my dream too. I love improv, I've experienced some crazy shit, and I always dreamed of being on SNL. But. I'm not that funny.

You'll never know until you try!  Just look up any local comedy open mics and take a chance.  Most people there are newbies, so you don't have to worry about disappointing them.  And rarely will you get hecklers, because they're in your same position.  Then once you get a hang of the feeling, you can move your way up the ranks and be super famous on TV!

I really had no "planned" material, just a few stories in my head and a general story arc.  A lot of the other folks had notes/notebooks and would glance down at them occasionally.  It's understandable in this kinda situation.

Anyone doing anything fun and exciting for the weekend?

We don't do fireworks or anything here so it'll be a typical weekend. I'll probably hang out with friends and have some beers if they're willing. 

I do know I'm hanging with a friend on Sunday for a Sunday Funday at the local craft beer place we go to. That'll be fun. Day beers. 

We don't do fireworks or anything here so it'll be a typical weekend. I'll probably hang out with friends and have some beers if they're willing. 

I do know I'm hanging with a friend on Sunday for a Sunday Funday at the local craft beer place we go to. That'll be fun. Day beers. 

Last Grateful Dead show on Sunday in Chicago.  I still can't believe it.

Last Grateful Dead show on Sunday in Chicago.  I still can't believe it.

Some folks I know are there for it. This one guy I know followed them around most of the 80's while he was in high school & college. I watched some of the second set from last weekend, but it just seemed like they were kinda stepping on each other's toes a bunch of times. Bobby is looking like the Lorax now, but Trey didn't sound out of place I admit. Phil was doing good holding up a good portion of the vocals. 

I'm in Portland hanging out with DaveGrohl and MyFriendPeter, having a "Very VC 4th of July party".  Going to see Torche tonight and drink a bunch of cheap beer for 3 days.

Some folks I know are there for it. This one guy I know followed them around most of the 80's while he was in high school & college. I watched some of the second set from last weekend, but it just seemed like they were kinda stepping on each other's toes a bunch of times. Bobby is looking like the Lorax now, but Trey didn't sound out of place I admit. Phil was doing good holding up a good portion of the vocals. 

Bob said they didn't get together to practice until 2 1/2 weeks before.  He sent Trey a list of 120 songs, and they are running w 70-80 for these 5 shows.  This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous up there.  Really, really, really looking forward to it.  There is an after show/party at a local place called the Abbey that we might swing through.  Grateful Zappa - players that were in Zappa's touring band, w some guests.  Depends on time.  

Thievery Corporation is performing a Dead set tonight in Chicago as part of the series of shows

Day beers. 

I'm guessing that will sum up my weekend pretty well. At least that's the plan.

My girlfriend and I will be camping out at her family cabin. There's not enough room for everyone to sleep in the cabin, so we offered to sleep in a tent. I'm really stoked. Apparently her grandpa really loves fireworks (like he spends a few grand on them a year, all for this one weekend) so we'll see how that all goes. Usually I could care less about fireworks, but if he's stoked on them that much, then I'll be stoked on it.

I'm on a phone call with a customer that is going on 26 minutes.

I've been spelling out my work email for 25 minutes and he still can't get it right.

This is torture.

This is my daily routine. Fuck phone jobs.

Working, but getting paid double time.  Worth it to me!

I'm on a phone call with a customer that is going on 26 minutes.

I've been spelling out my work email for 25 minutes and he still can't get it right.

This is torture.

I had a call center job for AT&T and it really prepared me for any customer service job thereafter.  When every single customer you get is already seething angry at you before you even speak one word, you get really good at:

a. damage control

b. not giving a shit

The latter came in handy a lot more often.

Working, but getting paid double time.  Worth it to me!

I had a call center job for AT&T and it really prepared me for any customer service job thereafter.  When every single customer you get is already seething angry at you before you even speak one word, you get really good at:

a. damage control

b. not giving a shit

The latter came in handy a lot more often.

I never get angry with CS reps.  I always stay calm and tell them it's not their fault if they say 'sorry'.  Getting mad just gets you shittier service.  Staying calm gets you 50% off.  Cooler heads prevail.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic