I can't believe I agree with Bruce about some movies. Finally gave High Fidelity a shot a few weeks ago. Very meh. And I'm turned off to Boondock Saints and Fight Club mostly because of the people that loooooove those movies and think they're so amazing.

Shitty reasoning, maybe, but I can't get past it.

You guys do know that High Fidelity is sourced from a book, right?

I think that for sourcing a British book and adapting it to 90's American culture it did a fantastic job. Yeah, John Cusack has better movies, but 20 years ago, his only better movie was Say Anything. Jack Black's SINGLE ONLY good movie acting role that I can remember, in that he so encompasses the stupid metalhead elitist prick we all know. His loud stupid personality works with this character, and if you'd read the book you would know there's no other actor for this role. I don't think anyone likes the main ex-girlfriend of Rob, but for the whole first 3/4ths of the movie you're kinda supposed to feel for the guy and in that sense she succeeds at getting everyone to hate her as the cold bitchy ex-girlfriend.

It's a very apartment-record-day-to-day-live-drivel drama I guess, but that was the point. Working your dead end record shop job and obsessing on girls is the first half of what THE HOBBY is all about.

tl;dr stop the hate  :(

ps. book is always better

You guys do know that High Fidelity is sourced from a book, right?

I think that for sourcing a British book and adapting it to 90's American culture it did a fantastic job. Yeah, John Cusack has better movies, but 20 years ago, his only better movie was Say Anything. Jack Black's SINGLE ONLY good movie acting role that I can remember, in that he so encompasses the stupid metalhead elitist prick we all know. His loud stupid personality works with this character, and if you'd read the book you would know there's no other actor for this role. I don't think anyone likes the main ex-girlfriend of Rob, but for the whole first 3/4ths of the movie you're kinda supposed to feel for the guy and in that sense she succeeds at getting everyone to hate her as the cold bitchy ex-girlfriend.

It's a very apartment-record-day-to-day-live-drivel drama I guess, but that was the point. Working your dead end record shop job and obsessing on girls is the first half of what THE HOBBY is all about.

tl;dr stop the hate :(

ps. book is always better

The book was good. Movie was a turd.

Most goodiest day in a long while.  Ultimate frisbee was a blast but had a big crew head out for a drink with us.  Was the best political and economic talk I've had in a long time.  It's great to find people who you disagree with at very fundamental levels but still respect each other enough to allow for open give and take discussion.  Add in random drunk guy to these conversations and it's just total win.  He did manage to threaten to kill Scott Walker, threaten to rob a Kwik Trip and talk about pissing his pants (as a tangent in a conversation about global warming).

I need more days like today.  It rebuilds my optimism for the future.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic