I got jumped at a Hawthorne Heights show at my buddy's college. Had no idea who was playing, showed up and it was Hawthorne Heights and the rapper TI. I was really high and started the funniest mosh pit ever. It was just me and my friend pushing each other but people ran like it was a riot and there was like a 50 foot circle with no one moshing. Anyways, after some ironic hardcore dancing I went back to my friends and out of nowhere some kid jumps through the crowd and puts me in a headlock.  Literally the only time I've ever had to punch someone in the face.

First concert: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Our Shells World Tour

First Rock concert: REM

First "show": Queens of the Stone Age in a 300 cap venue

First hardcore show: Every Time I Die, Misery Signals, Zao, With Honor, The Promise

I tried to go goth in middle school because a few of my friends did and I really liked Tripp pants, but my mom wouldn't let me buy them. So I just started buying wristbands at Hot Topic and as many black T-shirts as I could find at Rugged Warehouse. That was sixth grade and the first half of seventh grade. The latter half of seventh grade until ninth grade was when I tried to pull off the skater look, which never worked.

Then I stopped giving a shit about what people thought of me in 10th grade, and ended up having more friends than I ever did while I was trying to fit into cliques. Moral of the story right there.

I tried to go goth in middle school because a few of my friends did and I really liked Tripp pants, but my mom wouldn't let me buy them. So I just started buying wristbands at Hot Topic and as many black T-shirts as I could find at Rugged Warehouse. That was sixth grade and the first half of seventh grade. The latter half of seventh grade until ninth grade was when I tried to pull off the skater look, which never worked.

Then I stopped giving a shit about what people thought of me in 10th grade, and ended up having more friends than I ever did while I was trying to fit into cliques. Moral of the story right there.

Second half of high school I wore tight pants and Zappa t-shirts that I bought at garage sales or NA shirts that I almost got beat up over. Nothing ever fit. Also a newsies style cap. I was terrible...but awesome.

Despite being really into numetal I also wore Abercrombie and Fitch because I wanted to be accepted by my peers. Some kid in UFO pants called me a poser because I tried to talk to him about his Korn shirt. I was like "Dude, Korn are on TRL every day..."

I did not have friends.

Oh yeah, I was a band geek on top of all of that. I played alto sax from sixth to twelfth grade. That's where I met most of my high school friends.

Being in band definitely had its advantages. Our high school band had over 200 students out of 1800 students total, and there were people from every clique and social circle the school had. I remember walking into the main building on the first day of ninth grade and saying hey to a bunch of juniors and seniors that I had befriended during band camp, and several people my age came up to me like "how do you already know so many upperclassmen?"

I think my first show was:

Thursday, From Autumn to Ashes, Onelinedrawing, and Planes Mistaken for Stars.

I would go to that show again right. now. Holy fuck.

Hmmm... it would be nice. I will be out to visit maybe in March or April with the wife and kid.

Lemme know!

I just started watching The IT Crowd last night. This show is awesome.

Yes yes yes yes!!! My favorite show ever made ever ever! ITS WHY I WANT TO MOVE TO ENGLAND AND WORK IN THE IT DEPARTMENT!! joking joking. :D

After the series ended they made another episode a few years after. If it's not up on Netflix then it's on YouTube. I think it's like an hour long.

Honestly though, I know I sound crazy but I'm always trying to get people to watch that show and nobody cares :(

The IT Crowd was great. Richard Ayoade is a really good director too. Gareth Marenghi's Darkplace was hilarious, Submarine was pretty good Wes Anderson worship from what I remember, and The Double was just really good.

Oooh I want to see The Double! Submarine was really good, I agree and the soundtrack Is one of my favorites!

I think my first show was:

Thursday, From Autumn to Ashes, Onelinedrawing, and Planes Mistaken for Stars.

I would go to that show again right. now. Holy fuck.

Lemme know!

I would see Planes again in a heartbeat.

Yeah a friend of ours is opening a tattoo shop thereabouts and she's going to do a guest spot.

Yes yes yes yes!!! My favorite show ever made ever ever! ITS WHY I WANT TO MOVE TO ENGLAND AND WORK IN THE IT DEPARTMENT!! joking joking. :D

After the series ended they made another episode a few years after. If it's not up on Netflix then it's on YouTube. I think it's like an hour long.

Honestly though, I know I sound crazy but I'm always trying to get people to watch that show and nobody cares :(

I love British humor like this. There's some cool music references in this show as well. There was a guy in a Guided By Voices shirt in one scene and there's a Boards of Canada poster in the office.

I would see Planes again in a heartbeat.

Yeah a friend of ours is opening a tattoo shop thereabouts and she's going to do a guest spot.

Awesome! Maybe I'll talk to her about a tattoo!

Planes was the highlight of that show for me. I think it must have been 2002?

COPPER AND STAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRSSSSS.

(k, sorry.)

Edit:

Thursday and Jonah played Mother Mary and Bury White...that was pretty awesome too.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic