MOVIES ARE SO DOPE. HOW DO YOU NOT APPRECIATE ART? DO YOU EVEN HAVE FEELINGS?

I've always felt that movies don't have enough time to develop character. There are a number of exceptions, but a good 95% of movies don't have enough characterization to make me care.

In contrast to that, I've always found it amazing that music can accomplish what movies can't (to me) in (an average of) 45 minutes or so. I can get very invested in an album and become emotionally attached to it.

Eraserhead is an "I can always watch it" movie for me.

I remember one horrible winter night, I was going through some serious shit, I had just come in from the freezing cold after smoking a joint. it was probably 2 or 3am. I turned the tv on, opened the guide, saw that Eraserhead had just started on IFC and watched the whole thing. That's how fucked up a person I am.

I'm never ok afterwards, but I can always watch it.

Eraserhead is my all-time favorite movie.  I've seen it, no hyperbole, over 100 times.

Ugh, it's really weird coming across girls I sorta know on Tinder. I met this girl a handful of times, and she is gorgeous and awesome. Doubt we'll match, and I have not seen her around in a long time. 

I've always felt that movies don't have enough time to develop character. There are a number of exceptions, but a good 95% of movies don't have enough characterization to make me care.

In contrast to that, I've always found it amazing that music can accomplish what movies can't (to me) in (an average of) 45 minutes or so. I can get very invested in an album and become emotionally attached to it.

Movies...don't develop characters...

WAT

I have seen some that do it well, but lots of movies do it really poorly and genericly. What are your favorite movies?

He hit the nail on the fucking head. There are a VERY select few movies that fully develop characters. You know, the "good" ones.

Every other one is just a waste of my time. Fuck movies.

He hit the nail on the fucking head. There are a VERY select few movies that fully develop characters. You know, the "good" ones.

Every other one is just a waste of my time. Fuck movies.

Just friendly advice, a laserdisc would probably be the easiest way to fuck a movie since it has the big hole in the middle.

Y'all don't understand movies. Jesus.

Go watch...I don't fucking know...the original Robocop. If you don't love Robocop you're broken.

I don't like movies. My opinion is different. It's not that I "don't understand" it, I just don't like it. I mean, I'm pretty tolerant of people who don't like music.

I have seen some that do it well, but lots of movies do it really poorly and genericly. What are your favorite movies?

Eraserhead, La Planete Sauvage, Kids, Happiness, It's Such A Beautiful Day, most Tarantino/Lynch/Rodriguez/Scorsese/Kubrick/Carpenter/Cronenberg/Cohen Bros/,  so many others...

You're failing to understand an entire medium. Movies are different than TV. Movies and TV are different than books. Books are different than paintings. Etc forever.

Sure TV has more time, but it's episodic. Each episode is it's own mini movie with a first, second, and third act. It just has a longer arc. Hell a lot of tv shows go on too long and fuck all the characters up because there's so much "development"

Short stories aren't less valid than novels. Different stories need different amounts and types of characterization. Yeah a lot of blockbusters are generic garbage with paper thin characters, but those are more "ride" than art.

You're failing to understand an entire medium. Movies are different than TV. Movies and TV are different than books. Books are different than paintings. Etc forever.

Sure TV has more time, but it's episodic. Each episode is it's own mini movie with a first, second, and third act. It just has a longer arc. Hell a lot of tv shows go on too long and fuck all the characters up because there's so much "development"

Short stories aren't less valid than novels. Different stories need different amounts and types of characterization. Yeah a lot of blockbusters are generic garbage with paper thin characters, but those are more "ride" than art.

Short stories generally put a heavier emphasis on a good plot in their time rather than characterization. TV can do both, and often does. Movies try to do both, but usually only manage one or neither. Like I've said, there are exceptions, but I just have no interest in something with such a low success rate. I just don't like movies. Like, at all. Fuck them.

I also have trouble wrapping my head around you saying about an hour ago that you hate everything, only to now be passionately defending film. Maybe it "sucks less" or whatever, but you really seem to like it. ;)

Random list of favorites:

Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, The Fountain, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Eraserhead, Being John Malkovich, Hot Rod, Evil Dead 2, The Thing, Happiness, Synecdoche NY, The Royal Tennenbaums

All of them completely different in tone, style, presentation and with various TYPES of character development. Is Daniel Plainview from TWBB a more developed character than Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park? Yes, but they're both fully realized characters with clear personalities and motivations. They're different types of movies but each has the character development necessary for what it's set out to do.

Short stories generally put a heavier emphasis on a good plot in their time rather than characterization. TV can do both, and often does. Movies try to do both, but usually only manage one or neither. Like I've said, there are exceptions, but I just have no interest in something with such a low success rate. I just don't like movies. Like, at all. Fuck them.

I also have trouble wrapping my head around you saying about an hour ago that you hate everything, only to now be passionately defending film. Maybe it "sucks less" or whatever, but you really seem to like it. ;)

Movies fucking suck, but it's an art form I'm passionate about. There are more bad movies than good, but that's true of every medium. There's more bad tv and music than good. But sometimes a less than amazing movie is a fun 90 minutes, just like every TV show not being Breaking Bad doesn't make less excellent tv shows not worth the time.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic