Also, cinematography gives me a boner.

Movies can be god damn gorgeous. You're letting one aspect of an art form sway your whole opinion. I don't always need to know how a chracter's childhood was or EXACTLY what they're thinking to understand them. Take Javier Bardem's character in No Country. You don't know a damn thing about him, but he's still a terrifying and fully realized character. You don't need to know anything bout him to understand who his character is.

Movies fucking suck, but it's an art form I'm passionate about. There are more bad movies than good, but that's true of every medium. There's more bad tv and music than good. But sometimes a less than amazing movie is a fun 90 minutes, just like every TV show not being Breaking Bad doesn't make less excellent tv shows not worth the time.

I only commit to a select few TV shows also, and I haven't actually watched a movie since June. I like TV, but I don't spend that much time on it. 

I feel like, even though there's more bad than good in every medium, the bad:good ratio in film is WAY higher than any other. I just don't like it, man. I know how you feel; like I said, I'm tolerant of people who hate music as a whole. It's still hard for me to comprehend not enjoying music, but I'm definitely tolerant of it.

Side note: My brother doesn't like music. There's some strong irony to that.

Movies can be god damn gorgeous. You're letting one aspect of an art form sway your whole opinion. I don't always need to know how a chracter's childhood was or EXACTLY what they're thinking to understand them. Take Javier Bardem's character in No Country. You don't know a damn thing about him, but he's still a terrifying and fully realized character. You don't need to know anything bout him to understand who his character is.

Why are you so hell-bent on getting me to like movies? Look, I agree that some movies can be great, but there are so few worth my time that I don't bother devoting any time to it. 

Why are you so hell-bent on getting me to like movies? Look, I agree that some movies can be great, but there are so few worth my time that I don't bother devoting any time to it.

Because by not watching movies you're missing out on SO MUCH good shit.

Also, you're a youth, how are you planning on Netflix and Chill if you hate movies? You gotta at least be prepared to watch the whole movie.

I think you'd dig Every Frame a Painting.

My brother is a cop and my other brother is a drug addict and a lawyer. There's no irony between siblings.

The bad to good ratio is way more skewed towards bad for TV. So many channels. So much time to fill.

Pretty sure that's irony

I suppose you're right about that, actually. If you limit it down to only include shows with a serialized format (and by extension, also exclude films like documentaries and concert films), however, I think it would be less in the favor of cinema. That's just my thought process though.

Because by not watching movies you're missing out on SO MUCH good shit.

Also, you're a youth, how are you planning on Netflix and Chill if you hate movies? You gotta at least be prepared to watch the whole movie.

When I used to "Netflix and chill" with my ex, we watched 30 Rock.

Pretty sure that's irony

I suppose you're right about that, actually. If you limit it down to only include shows with a serialized format (and by extension, also exclude films like documentaries and concert films), however, I think it would be less in the favor of cinema. That's just my thought process though.

My issue is just that you're approaching character development from a skewed perspective. Quantity is not quality and so forth.

rac

I dunno, to a certain extent I prefer knowing all kinds of details about a character. It makes them feel more realistic to me if they have more "regular person" characteristics. I care more about a show if I can relate to the characters and since I'm not a movie badass I like action/drama better in a TV or anime format. I'm kinda average, so I can feel more for a guy in a show who kinda is too. I've probably watched Haruhi Suzumiya 8 times (and might put some of it on again tonight) because Kyon is basically me. TV/anime/movies are an escape from reality, and if I am more like the people in the show it's easier I guess. Part of my deep apprecieation for DxD is the fact Issei just says everything that most people that age are thinking. It's funny as shit to me to just watch the ensuing chaos that would happen if that actually were to happen. That plus the solid storytelling make it one of my favorites.

The first Saw was definitely what I would call a very well-written and well-made movie. Didn't see any after that though practically unanimously it all goes downhill.

I definitely find I favor the "mindfuck"/depressing movies over anything else movie/cinema-related.

Yes. I littereally yelled "what the fuck" at the TV when I watched the first one. Really great. I think movies do that whole "you don't know exactly what is going on" thing better than TV.

Go read a book, ya nuts! ;)

I've tried watching that anime like twice and didn't get around to finishing it for some reason?? I rarely ever finish an anime, though. No matter how short the series (Elfen Lied) or how much I love it (FMA).

First season is good. Never watched s2.

I dunno, to a certain extent I prefer knowing all kinds of details about a character. It makes them feel more realistic to me if they have more "regular person" characteristics. I care more about a show if I can relate to the characters and since I'm not a movie badass I like action/drama better in a TV or anime format. I'm kinda average, so I can feel more for a guy in a show who kinda is too. I've probably watched Haruhi Suzumiya 8 times (and might put some of it on again tonight) because Kyon is basically me. TV/anime/movies are an escape from reality, and if I am more like the people in the show it's easier I guess. Part of my deep apprecieation for DxD is the fact Issei just says everything that most people that age are thinking. It's funny as shit to me to just watch the ensuing chaos that would happen if that actually were to happen. That plus the solid storytelling make it one of my favorites.

Characters in fiction shouldn't necessarily be "normal people."

I've tried watching that anime like twice and didn't get around to finishing it for some reason?? I rarely ever finish an anime, though. No matter how short the series (Elfen Lied) or how much I love it (FMA).

I think half of my love for these shows comes from where I'm at in life. I doubt any of you guys here would find DxD as funny as I do because it's about people my age. I see a lot of my friends in the characters. Like I said too about Issei, he basically just says whatever he is thinking and it is funny as shit because it's things my friends will whisper or think or I keep to myself but he says it to people's faces and I just laugh my ass off envisioning what would happen if I did that.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic