The shittiest thing I have ever seen a label do.....

In case anyone is wondering what road records will take if they continue to mirror what happened to baseball cards.

-Production will increase, but variants will continue to get shorter. (i.e. one album with dozens of variants in limited run. Black /500, Red /400, Blue /300, Clear /150, Green /100, Purple /75 Gold /10, Test Presses /1

-Variants will be inserted randomly. Collectors will have to buy multiple copies and trade or wait til someone pulls the one they want and buy it off the bay

-Serial numbering will be more common but it will have to be somewhere inside the packaging. Serial numbering will no longer be done in sharpie but printed.

-Autographs and random crap will be inserted into the packaging. This may include "redemption cards" for music memorabelia. (Send in this card to receive a guitar or something signed by the band!)

Eventually everything special will be overdone to the point that things that were once worth a lot (like a record limited to 100) will be so common that they essentially lose value. At one time having a Ken Griffey Jr. card serial numbered to 100 was worth $500.

Once the market is saturated and companies run out of ideas for doing something special fans will lose interest. Record interest will dip as companies struggle to keep people's attention. It won't go back to the things they once were. In fact companies will keep prices high to hang onto the market that is hooked on it. Every now and then some over-the-top promotion will keep people interested. Like an expensive piece of music history or redemption cards for a concert only for people who find redemption cards, etc.

Fuck they'll probably buy a guitar owned by Kurt Cobain and give it away via a boxset where they're guaranteed to make a profit with people looking for it.

records are a different breed than baseball cards, though. there are a few dominant baseball card companies (topps, upper deck, pinnacle, a couple of others) that produce various sets marketing the same baseball players. you could call it an oligopoly of sorts. selling vinyl is nothing like that because although bands compete with each other, one record label's success is not going to mark another's failure -- in fact, becoming a record label is easier than ever. i think the vinyl market is very saturated already but it's because music is oversaturated in general with any fucking pop punk band thinking they can ride this trend through the end of the year. vinyl will die again in 10 years when the trend dies, and i think a lot of real record labels will stay true to what they're doing and continue to press vinyl just like they did before vinyl started booming a couple of years ago. although i agree that overdoing the whole variants thing will get tiring to the biggest fans (condolences to tell all your friends collectors), i think the death of vinyl will simply be determined by a loss of demand rather than an increase in supply, which is what happened to baseball cards. it's hard to sustain interest when you've pulled out all the tricks, but it's also difficult when you've mass-produced the shit out of your product to the point where it's worth less than what it costs.

... however, ebay isn't typically abound with informed shoppers like the people on these boards, and this guy is taking advantage of an uninformed consumer base.....

Yeah people on eBay kinda dumb, I just sold my extra copy of the first Feist album for a needless $10 markup.  You can still buy it on her website.

Yeah people on eBay kinda dumb, I just sold my extra copy of the first Feist album for a needless $10 markup.  You can still buy it on her website.

totally off-topic: was it a first press?  i bought one of the represses from her website and the sound quality is crap.  sounds like they just pressed the CD master.

i almost wanna make a petition asking people if they own a white copy of YFW, first press, to see if it goes over 100. Cause it sure as hell feels like there are more than 100 (just based on how many theyve sold on ebay alone in the last few years)

It does, I've looked into it. I counted how many he sold for 150 and then when they went to a obo based on the repress coming out. There are far more copies of YFW og on white than people are letting on. That's part of the reason I had no problem letting mine go.

It does, I've looked into it. I counted how many he sold for 150 and then when they went to a obo based on the repress coming out. There are far more copies of YFW og on white than people are letting on. That's part of the reason I had no problem letting mine go.

I hate this dude but I don't know how many more are pressed on white - when this went on sale white was never an option in 2003 - I remember just blue and black were for sale and the clears were sold on tour. I paid 75 for a white from him on ebay and he told me a very similiar story that the whites were never onsale to general public and he ended up with two full boxes of just white.

But we should all attempt to do a count on the board to see who had them and has had them in the past - i am very interested in the truth!!! haha

The variant debate has always been - and will always be - a heated topic on VC.  There are a few albums and artists that I've gone variant-crazy on, I'll admit it.  But not once have I purchased a colorway with the intent off making bank off of it, somewhere down the road.  It's usually to fuel the collector's itch in me: I'll like a certain colorway a bit more, or I'll like a Euro press with revised album art.  Or I'll want to snag a tour copy at a show, as a memento of sorts.  Have I sold variants for significantly more than I paid for them?  Sure have.  But more often than not, those instances have not been without considerable reluctance.  When my back is against the financial wall, you can bet that I'll part with a second or third copy of a cherished album.  Sure beats breaking apart the rest of the collection.

That being said, I have no problem admitting that collecting variants - especially of the pricey nature - is simply impractical.  And a waste of money, if your collection is based solely on listening.  (Settling for standard, non-limited copies on black wax and modest packaging is probably the way to go, for that route.)  But there will always be a part of the audience that's wowed by limited silkscreen jackets.  By exclusive colored variants.  By test presses.  And by all the oohs, ahs, and brag rights that go with them.  These are the people that have no shame in spending $300 on a certain Brand New variant, despite seeing more common copies of a repress for significantly cheaper.  Some people have to have it all.  And quite frankly, that's their money.  And I won't even pretend like I have the right to judge them for what they do with it.

Brian / sharkticon stands out, in my mind, as a respectable [ex] variant-hoarder.  Anyone who knows Brian knows that he's gun-ho about Mylene Sheath, and many post-rock releases in general.  I'm pretty sure he didn't buy eight copies of Caspian's Tertia to flip for ridiculous coin, down the road.  In fact, I believe he actually parted with many of his variants for some very fair prices -- significantly lower than eBay costs.  He collected because it was a passion and hobby of his, and I'm sure he enjoyed having the envy of fellow Mylene enthusiasts while he did.  Obviously he came to a point in his life where he decided that funds would help him more than eight copies of one record, so he broke the collection up.  No one seemed to have a problem with it... in fact, I think a handful of VC members were grateful for it.  I see nothing wrong with any of that.

Typically, to complete a collection that spans across multiple variants, you're looking at a good chunk of time and money.  Tracking down tour editions.  Scouring eBay for the right auction.  Accumulating represses over the years.  It's a labor of love.  And I can think of no better example than Juan and his Converge collection.  Is there anyone who really thinks he's some asshole who's collected hardcore records for 20+ years, just to make bank off all his duplicates?  I seriously doubt it.  But if he ran into hot water and had to break apart his collection for loads of cash, I don't think he'd deserved to be lynched.

tl; dr: collecting variants doesn't make you an asshole.  And it doesn't make you an idiot.  It's true that your money could be better-spent on expanding your collection of albums, sure.  But just because you feel the desire to own 10+ copies of TDAG, I don't think you should necessarily be burned at the cross.  I'm much more disgusted with flippers who lap up limited releases and abuse fan bases on eBay.

And with all of that said, I still think Iodine and their $500 copies of YFW are laughable.  Especially in trying to print up a silkscreen cover and pass it off as a super limited variant.  They're essentially trying to create a brand new (Brand New) limited edition out of thin air, just for the sake ridiculous profit.  To me, this is far worse than "discovering" a box of rare records and selling them at a bloated price.  I should snag up a few more copies of Daisy, wait for it to get repressed, and then whip up a few custom silkscreen covers for my OG copies.  Scribble some #2/3 bullshit on them with a magic marker, and then ask for $500 a pop on eBay.  Sounds ridiculous, I'm sure, but the only real difference is that Iodine can call themselves a [sketchy] label, whereas I cannot.

I have nothing against variant collectors, however I find it laughable when the collectors complain about the cost of doing so, be it the number of variants a record has, or about a new repress, when they're a large part of the reason such variants and represses exist. I'd say it's one of the dumbest things I see people complaining about around here.

To those that collect test pressings.

My friend who used to drum for a punk band on fat wrecks told me about a lead singer who would just print up some "test pressings" when he needed some cash.

FYI.

if this is alluding to Mike, i highly doubt its true.. especially since so few fat wreck tests have ever hit the open market.

• 1 month later...

God forbid they open it to find out what color it is. Then it might only be worth $200. lol Who the fuck would pay $300 without even knowing what color it is? The people at that label have seriously got their heads so far up their asses.