Steubenville, Ohio High School gang rape cover up

I dont want to seem like Debbie Downer or anything but instead of bitching about this happening and signing useless internet petitions why dont you all go out and get trained to volunteer at your local rape crisis center, rape hotline, womans shelter, etc. This kind of thing happens every single day and night, often just as violent or even more so than this case. Yes it is absolutely horrible and wretched and I am beyond happy that this is getting awareness and the kids will never have a good life now, but that isnt enough. Educate yourself, educate others, do not tolerate this behavior in your neighborhood, city, state. Make a stand against all types of sexual violence and make a real difference in the lives of many women.

This sort of thing doesn't happen in my area a lot. When I say my area, I mean my neighborhood. As far as my city goes, it happens all the time, but often times goes unreported. My neighborhood is a really shitty neighborhood, but a lot of people are very traditionally southern, and if this happened to a girl near me, I'm not rx averaging when I say the boys wouldn't have to worry about jail or an Internet petition. I'm fairly fortunate to live where I do. Most of the rapes that happen here (most, not all) are during Spring Break when we have hundreds of thousands of tourists being dumb at the beach. I hear about those often. To my knowledge, we don't have a women's shelter, or a crisis center.

Hey Kevin, here is some info for you

Bay
The Salvation Army Domestic Violence & Rape Crisis Program
1824 W. 15th Street
Panama City, FL 32401
Office: 850-769-7989
Fax: 850-769-5346
Hotline: 850-763-0706/800-252-2597
Services: 24-hour hotline, information and referral, crisis intervention, advocacy and accompaniment: general, medical and legal, therapy: individual, group and secondary victims, prevention education and training, medical referrals and follow-up and victim/survivor follow-up.
Service Fee: Free
Services to: Adults, Adolescents and Persons with Disabilities
Counties Served: Bay, Calhoun, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Washington

Sadly, I bet many other people in your area say the same thing. These centers are considered taboo in culture, like supporting a woman through a life changing, traumatic event is a bad thing. It also comes down to funding, they dont have the money to spend on radio, newspaper, tv ads and billboards to let people know about them. Check them out and see if there is anything you can do. I know in my area you can be on call like once a month and answer calls. Somethign that simple is a huge help to everyone.

Sadly, I bet many other people in your area say the same thing. These centers are considered taboo in culture, like supporting a woman through a life changing, traumatic event is a bad thing. It also comes down to funding, they dont have the money to spend on radio, newspaper, tv ads and billboards to let people know about them. Check them out and see if there is anything you can do. I know in my area you can be on call like once a month and answer calls. Somethign that simple is a huge help to everyone.

Yeah, the area it's in is a super poor area. There's a ton of homeless people down there. Our city government is shit. They don't support anything that costs money. They've tried shutting down the homeless shelter, they stop churches from feeding people. It's no wonder I've never seen anything about it. They likely get absolutely no help from the city. I'll check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

so im watching the news, and apparently they want to close the case to the public to keep the attackers safe. thats just asinine and completely sickening that they're trying to hide RAPE and rapists from the public. those fucks deserve to have everything including their soul ripped out of their bodies and put up for public shame and ridicule.

ahhh. i wanted to word this completely different but my mind went blank, but you get the idea.

I've been trying to keep up with this story but the media storm has semi-died down for now. I know 2 of the original kids charged have a hearing in february, i believe?

I kind of think it's too late to 'protect the attackers'. You can google all of them easily thanks to anonymous releasing all of their information. They're already screwed.

so im watching the news, and apparently they want to close the case to the public to keep the attackers safe. thats just asinine and completely sickening that they're trying to hide RAPE and rapists from the public. those fucks deserve to have everything including their soul ripped out of their bodies and put up for public shame and ridicule.

ahhh. i wanted to word this completely different but my mind went blank, but you get the idea.

Totally agree, I fuckin' hate that the wife beaters and rapist get segregation in prisons. 

• 1 month later...

so I've been living under a rock for the past few months.  what's going on here?  people on tv are talking about "digital intercourse" (there seriously has to be a better term...) and how they pissed on her, but that's not the vibe I get from the 12 minute video of that dude making "she's deader than..." jokes.

oh, and the guys in that video are another example of why most of my friends are girls

how is being a convicted rapist and being a registered sex offender getting off easy?  Those kids lives are (rightfully) ruined by just that alone.  Maybe the min detention is low, but being in jail until 21-24 is still 5 - 8 years depending on the child, but Rape cannot be expunged from juvenile court records, and removing the "sex offender" is near impossible.  So heres the thing, filing in juvenile court means they dont have to have a jury, and the visiting judge rules the decision and penalty.  charging them as adults opens up having to have a jury hear the case, and while the penalty for rape in ohio is 10 - 25 years min, to life, there's no way to know, definitely, that the jury will decide for the victim.  its shitty to say, but thats my take on this. 

This is fucked up. minimum one year in detention? And CNN says "the worst part part about it is they have to register as sex offenders"? Oh those poor rapists.