Flaming Lips- Zaireeka RSD

for those not in the know:

Zaireeka is the eighth studio album by the alternative rock band The Flaming Lips. Released on October 28, 1997, the experimental rock album consists of four compact discs. Each of its eight songs consists of four stereo tracks, one from each CD. The album was designed so that when played simultaneously on four separate audio systems, the four CDs would produce a harmonic or juxtaposed sound. The discs can also be played in different combinations, omitting one, two or three discs. The album's title is a portmanteau of two words: Zaire, chosen as a symbol of anarchy after Wayne Coyne heard a radio news story about the political instability of the African nation, and eureka (literally: "I have found it"), an expression of joyous discovery.

oh jesus christ... im glad i just found a file where someone digitally combined it... neat concept, but like most of the FL gimmic stuff.. really impractical

If you actually listen to it properly, it's not really gimmicky at all. It's not like they just took some normal songs and mixed them across four discs. 

And listening to it properly isn't that hard to do nowadays, since so many different devices play music now. 

This and the new album are the only Lips things I'm somewhat excited about right now. Everything else is meh.

If you actually listen to it properly, it's not really gimmicky at all. It's not like they just took some normal songs and mixed them across four discs. 

And listening to it properly isn't that hard to do nowadays, since so many different devices play music now. 

This and the new album are the only Lips things I'm somewhat excited about right now. Everything else is meh.

How are you going to properly listen to four LPs at the same time?

This is moronic. They should have just combined all 4 recordings onto one master and put this out so you don't have to go through the hassle of listening to 4 different recordings at the same time. I remember doing it once in college and it was awesome but it took quite some effort.

I really want to buy this and listen to it properly, but there is no way that will be possible.

This is moronic. They should have just combined all 4 recordings onto one master and put this out so you don't have to go through the hassle of listening to 4 different recordings at the same time. I remember doing it once in college and it was awesome but it took quite some effort.

I really want to buy this and listen to it properly, but there is no way that will be possible.

There's a bootleg floating around with all four mixed.

http://www.discogs.com/Flaming-Lips-Zaireeka/release/810291

at least it was kind of feasible with the original CD version. you could wrangle up enough of your friends that had boomboxes to get it done.

the only reasonable way I could see this getting listened to on vinyl is if you're a DJ with two decks, you have a DJ friend with two decks, and one of you brings your rig to the other.

also, I hadn't thought of this until just now, but flipping the records and synchronizing a second start halfway through. sheesh.

That's defeating the purpose. 

And also, the four discs aren't supposed to sync up perfectly. They were made not to. It's kinda the point.

That's defeating the purpose. 

And also, the four discs aren't supposed to sync up perfectly. They were made not to. It's kinda the point.

Exactly.

I want this. I want to try to make it happen. I'll have a listening party. I've hated so much of the recent FL gimmick stuff but for some reason the challenge involved with this one is exciting. 

Of all of the gimmicks they've release, this is one of the less gimmicky things they've put out.