selling on discogs to european buyers

it seems like 80-90% of my oders come from Europe. I havent had a problem yet but im pretty paranoid about having no recourse when someone claims non-receipt.  USPS shipping is about $15 to most places in Europe, but Ive been told that to get tracking or delivery confirmation, price jumps to $45.  What do you guys use in these situations?

The Italian postal service has a terrible reputation and if you send a package there, chances are it may not end up getting delivered. Hence, many sellers don't ship to Italy.

i guess specifically how do you protect yourself from claims when all you can do is ship with delivery confirmation and that difference seems to be $45 from $15 with USPS?  Or do you just cross your fingers?  Im not particularly worried about European buyers in general, just Paypal claims in general

I'm actually in your same boat. I've been selling on discogs the past year and had a $120 order to Italy before christmas and buyer says they have not got it. I've shipped all Europe, Asia and Australia without problems, but losing that much has prompted me to either not ship to Italy or up to registered mail just for Italy after all the research I've done.

I sold an LP on discogs in July of this year to Japan.  The buyer claimed he never got it and put in a claim.  I refunded him his money and then, no joke, On Jan, 2 he told me he finally got the LP.  The dude was so honest and nice he resent me the money and everything.  

For some unknown reason, the record took almost 5 months to get to him.  

PS.  Never ship to Italy~!

You guys do realize that most international shipping has insurance built into the cost for like 70-80 bucks.

I forgot which one but if they say they never got it, just open a claim with usps

thats not insurance against item not received though is it?  they told me there was no way to track or confirm delivery with the standard USPS shipping (which is like 14-16 dollars to most european countries)

I have had "lost" packages to Italy, Russia, and Greece. I don't ship to those places anymore. The only legitimate mail fuck up I have ever encountered was a package destined for Germany that ended up in japan and the disappeared. I have no idea what happened. I did get my insurance claim on that one because I had done USPS Intl Priority (which had tracking) because it was a high dollar item. It took 6 months and many, many phone calls to resolve my claim with the USPS and get my money. I did eventually get the package returned to me 8 months later, it had been all over the world. Pretty bizarre.

I currently use Stamps.com for shipping and pay for their insurance instead of USPS. With theirs you only have to wait 30 days to file a claim and you just need something from the buyer stating they did not receive the item (email works) and proof of payment (Paypal receipt). You don't even need tracking for international stuff. The few times I have had to use (on "lost" packages) it I got my check within a few weeks after making the claim.

I live in Sweden and order a lot of records from the US. You can ship First Class International with a registered option to get a tracking number. That is around 11-12 usd extra. I've had a lot of trackable shipments from the US where postage is nowhere near $45, usuallt ~23usd for one record and a few extra dollars per record added.

Oh, and hi, im new over here.

I was told by a USPS employee that registered only tracks to the sorting facility and not to the address. With paypal you must demonstrate that the item was delivered to the address, which is only available with International Priority.

Funny enough. I was just told tonight that if I get an International First Class parcel registered tonight, I couldn't use clear plastic tape. I had to use brown-paper tape.

Who knows what the USPS is doing?

I ship internationally a lot and almost always through First Class mail unless the buyer requests something different. The only countries I've had issues with are Italy, Romania and Brazil. I'd say in a given year 1-2 packages end up "lost" in the mail to one of these 3 countries. I recently had a terrible experience with a total nut job from Romania so I'm considering no longer shipping to these countries at all.

I ship internationally a lot and almost always through First Class mail unless the buyer requests something different. The only countries I've had issues with are Italy, Romania and Brazil. I'd say in a given year 1-2 packages end up "lost" in the mail to one of these 3 countries. I recently had a terrible experience with a total nut job from Romania so I'm considering no longer shipping to these countries at all.

I know Brazil can be a problem. Things just get held up in customs, in my experience. But I openly say I won't ship to Italy and the entire continent of Africa because I've heard so many things.

Yea, that is always the case with registered mail, You have to use the brown paper wet tape stuff.

Had no idea. Is that so it's easy to see if it's been tampered?

I was told by a USPS employee that registered only tracks to the sorting facility and not to the address. With paypal you must demonstrate that the item was delivered to the address, which is only available with International Priority.

At least in Sweden, registered first class mail is trackable all the way to my local post office where I go to pickup the parcels. I'm able to track all First Class Mail International shipments (registered or not) to the sorting facility within the US, by using the customs form number that usually starts with L-XXXXXXXXUS.