Would you still buy records if you couldn't listen to them?

Um ... there is no "music" if the record isn't played. This may be the silliest post I've ever read.

I don't know what internet you use, but the one that I use has digital music readily available to listen to for free at any given time.  Be it through downloading illegally or through a service like Spotify.  Buying physical copies that I can hold makes me feel feel like the artists are finally giving me a product worth buying.  

I don't know what internet you use, but the one that I use has digital music readily available to listen to for free at any given time.  Be it through downloading illegally or through a service like Spotify.  Buying physical copies that I can hold makes me feel feel like the artists are finally giving me a product worth buying.  

Wait, you buy records to "hold them" while you listen to a digital version?

I literally have no response to that.

OK, I will answer this question in a more direct and less hostile manner. I would imagine that losing my hearing would affect my life in such an extreme way that buying records would be the last thing on my mind.

When I was in middle/high school I bought LTJ 7's all the time, never had a way to play them, I just loved having everything LTJ. My two favorite bands growing up were Blink and LTJ. I bought They Came to Conquer Uranus from the Grilled Cheese/Cargo SNAIL MAIL order catalog, that's how old that was hahaha I've always loved music but I usually chose whatever medium was more convenient at the time tape/cd/mp3. It wasn't until about 4-5 years ago when Jack's Mannequin's Glass Passenger came out when I purchased the first record that would really ignite my love for vinyl. My roommate at the time inherited his dad's collection after he passed and I'll admit I wanted the JM record just to frame but my roommate hooked up his turn table one night and when I listened to it I was blown away. From there I dug out all my old LTJ 7's and went to my local record store and bought some Stones, Dylan, Beatles, the Police and Queen. From there, it was all down hill! 

When I was in middle/high school I bought LTJ 7's all the time, never had a way to play them, I just loved having everything LTJ. My two favorite bands growing up were Blink and LTJ. I bought They Came to Conquer Uranus from the Grilled Cheese/Cargo SNAIL MAIL order catalog, that's how old that was hahaha I've always loved music but I usually chose whatever medium was more convenient at the time tape/cd/mp3. It wasn't until about 4-5 years ago when Jack's Mannequin's Glass Passenger came out when I purchased the first record that would really ignite my love for vinyl. My roommate at the time inherited his dad's collection after he passed and I'll admit I wanted the JM record just to frame but my roommate hooked up his turn table one night and when I listened to it I was blown away. From there I dug out all my old LTJ 7's and went to my local record store and bought some Stones, Dylan, Beatles, the Police and Queen. From there, it was all down hill!

You'll type an entire essay but you won't type the goddamn band names?

Thomas, I disappoint.

I think what OP is asking is "if records were just blank with no way of reproducing music, would you still pay money for them?"

The obvious answer is "fuck no, that is completely fucking stupid. They take up too much space, use too many resources and are too expensive to just keep on a shelf. I'd buy a T-shirt or a CD or something if I wanted to 'support the band'."

And of course, people on this board have already answered "I already do."

GUNINMOUTH.JPG

If records were just a blank disc with no music on it, why would anybody buy them?  Although I'm never going to play some of my records ( because I have a variant worth 1/10th the cost ), I wouldn't buy it if there wasn't the possibility of playing it.

If I was deaf, I would still buy them, and probably still play them too.  (I'm currently quite hearing impaired, but I know that even if it keeps getting worse, I'd still buy them).

If record players cost 1 million dollars, but records cost the same, I probably would still collect. It's a collection, and I find satisfaction in knowing I've completed it // am working on it.