THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

You're a little late to the party on this one. Shoezeum has been a Mecca for sneakerheads for quite some time and gained mainstream attention a few months back when it was featured on one of those pawn shop reality shows.

Ha. Maybe you haven't realized what this thread is about. See, this thread is called "the official ebay craziness thread." We, as a board, discuss crazy auctions on the electronic bay. What, you might be asking, does this entail? Well good sir, we discuss, just as the title suggests, absurd (or if you prefer the original term crazy) auctions on ebay. Now, these types of auctions don't only have to be the gasp-inducing, outlandish ones. No, in fact, 'crazy' can mean "really, really good prices too". So if one is remotely impressed by viewing an auction, whether for good or bad reasons, he or she can put that link in this thread and hit post. Good conversation will usually flow forth.

I hope this gives you a little insight into why I might put a link to a series of ebay auctions that are demanding high prices for old ass shoes.

Ha. Maybe you haven't realized what this thread is about. See, this thread is called "the official ebay craziness thread." We, as a board, discuss crazy auctions on the electronic bay. What, you might be asking, does this entail? Well good sir, we discuss, just as the title suggests, absurd (or if you prefer the original term crazy) auctions on ebay. Now, these types of auctions don't only have to be the gasp-inducing, outlandish ones. No, in fact, 'crazy' can mean "really, really good prices too". So if one is remotely impressed by viewing an auction, whether for good or bad reasons, he or she can put that link in this thread and hit post. Good conversation will usually flow forth.

I hope this gives you a little insight into why I might put a link to a series of ebay auctions that are demanding high prices for old ass shoes.

I read this in a British accent that kinda sounded like Paul Giamatti in John Adams.

Guest Fredneck

It no different than going to the Vietnam Memorial and etching a name. Except there is a body 6 ft from you in the ground.

That is insane. Nearly 6k for paper with Boards of Canada printed on it and a piece of plastic with a 20 second sound clip. I would still think it is crazy if it was a full album.

Okay so here's a little bit of eBay craziness for ya

There was a listing for an item I wanted (not a record) that was 99 cents, with a high shipping price using USPS 1st class mail. The price was like $20

5 days prior to the end of the auction, I messaged the seller asking what the cost would be to ship using media mail. I never got a response prior to the end of the auction, so I bid and won the item for 99 cents as there were no other bidders. I messaged the seller again, asking for an invoice with the correct price of shipping. A few days passed, and I sent my 3rd message, yet again.

It was like; a week and a half after I initially won the auction that I finally got a response.

"hi wats up"

I sent another message restating what I had said in my previous messages. He complied and provided me with a new invoice, with the shipping method changed to media mail, but the price still the same as $20.

I messaged again asking for a correct shipping price using media mail, not just a change of text stating that media mail was used.

"how much wood u like to spend on shipping for a 99 cent item"

I kindly responded that I won the item fairly at 99 cents and that the $20 cost for shipping and handling was unreasonable when the USPS provides an inexpensive service designed for the transport of media like this. I asked him to provide a fair price that would cover his costs for packaging and handling the item; like sellers are supposed to charge.

"I'm not making any money then I can't charge any less if u want we can cancel the purchas"

As if its my fault that he listed the item for 99cents when he didnt want to only make 99 cents on it.

Guys a douche, left negative feedback and canceled the purchase. End of story.

There was a listing for an item I wanted (not a record) that was 99 cents, with a high shipping price using USPS 1st class mail. The price was like $20

5 days prior to the end of the auction, I messaged the seller asking what the cost would be to ship using media mail. I never got a response prior to the end of the auction, so I bid and won the item for 99 cents as there were no other bidders. I messaged the seller again, asking for an invoice with the correct price of shipping. A few days passed, and I sent my 3rd message, yet again.

It was like; a week and a half after I initially won the auction that I finally got a response.

"hi wats up"

I sent another message restating what I had said in my previous messages. He complied and provided me with a new invoice, with the shipping method changed to media mail, but the price still the same as $20.

I messaged again asking for a correct shipping price using media mail, not just a change of text stating that media mail was used.

I kindly responded that I won the item fairly at 99 cents and that the $20 cost for shipping and handling was unreasonable when the USPS provides an inexpensive service designed for the transport of media like this. I asked him to provide a fair price that would cover his costs for packaging and handling the item; like sellers are supposed to charge.

"I'm not making any money then I can't charge any less if u want we can cancel the purchas"

As if its my fault that he listed the item for 99cents when he didnt want to only make 99 cents on it.

It's a trick to get $20 out of you. But, unfortunately, according to ebay standards, you're in the wrong. He listed it for sale and shipping as $20. He made it clear. You didn't get a response before the auction ended so you have to agree to his terms. Happens all the time. It's no big deal but you'll get an unpaid item strike.

"hi wats up"

Yeah it is lame on the sellers part, but it was stated as $20 in the listing.

Yeah it's whatever, he wanted to cancel the item, so I won't get a strike. I can see how this technically makes me wrong, but it's like someone was selling a record and refused to ship it with media mail. Like. It's MADE to ship this kinda thing, use it man haha. I honestly would've paid $10 for shipping, despite that being more than double what it really costs to ship, if he really wanted to make a few extra bucks.

But now, he gets none.

the_soup_nazi017.jpg

It's a trick to get $20 out of you. But, unfortunately, according to ebay standards, you're in the wrong. He listed it for sale and shipping as $20. He made it clear. You didn't get a response before the auction ended so you have to agree to his terms. Happens all the time. It's no big deal but you'll get an unpaid item strike.

It's also a trick to avoid paying as much in eBay seller fees. You see quite a lot of this sort of thing for electronics accessories from China etc. which are listed with buy it now prices. If they charge $5 plus $30 shipping instead of a realistic $25 plus $10 shipping, they only pay the seller fees on $5 instead of $25. 

It's also a trick to avoid paying as much in eBay seller fees. You see quite a lot of this sort of thing for electronics accessories from China etc. which are listed with buy it now prices. If they charge $5 plus $30 shipping instead of a realistic $25 plus $10 shipping, they only pay the seller fees on $5 instead of $25. 

No, seller fees are applied to item cost AND shipping costs.