THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

What's even worse is when a seller refuses to tell you the reserve when you ask. I mean, Christ, if it's only a little over my max bid, I would have just bid a little higher if you told me, dude. But no, you refuse to disclose it because "that defeats the purpose of a reserve."

Refusing to set your price at what you'll take the item for also defeats the purpose of trying to sell it. Reserves are for people who are embarrassed to say what they want for something. Any time I list on ebay, I put the minimum price I'll take for the item, and I'll even lower the price over time if I feel I need to until there are bids. Flexibility is a key, and this seller is an idiot.

What's even worse is when a seller refuses to tell you the reserve when you ask. I mean, Christ, if it's only a little over my max bid, I would have just bid a little higher if you told me, dude. But no, you refuse to disclose it because "that defeats the purpose of a reserve."

Personally I think because the market is over saturated , a few years ago you could at least get with in a few dollars 

close to what you paid for a used record and now it's kind of unpredictable.

Some people believe that starting with a low opening bid generates more interest in an auction, rather than just starting it at, say, $200 if you expect (hope) it to sell at $250.

Which is true. Sort of. Most of the flurry of bids come early on for a few dollars at a time. So it will usually end with lots of bids, but whether it'll go for more in the end than an identical auction starting at a higher opening price is debatable. 

And then there are lots of people who refuse to bid on auctions with a reserve. I NEVER do unless it's a really rare item that hardly ever goes up for sale, like a test pressing. So there's an equally strong case that a low opening bid with a reserve HURTS your final price more than it helps.

Refusing to set your price at what you'll take the item for also defeats the purpose of trying to sell it. Reserves are for people who are embarrassed to say what they want for something. Any time I list on ebay, I put the minimum price I'll take for the item, and I'll even lower the price over time if I feel I need to until there are bids. Flexibility is a key, and this seller is an idiot.

As a buyer, I've hated the reserve since I joined ebay in 1999. 

But as a seller, I understand the unfortunate necessity of it. Auctions that start out at .01 sell better than those that start at higher prices. 

I wonder if they seller is aware that s/he could save a lot of money offering the record directly to minorincident. Reserve fee is $2, ebay fees are 8% to 10% and there's more.

eBay only charges for a final value fee now; a flat 10% regardless of category. So the cost has actually gone down from 13% for those of us that sell records. They only charge listing fees if you reach a massive amount of monthly listings. I don't know if there are fees to have a reserve because reserves are stupid anyways.

A reserve allows someone to start the auction low (given that it's a general principle of ebay that lower starting prices generate more activity) without having to risk selling it far below what he/she wants for the item.

But I agree with whoever said that when the seller refuses to state the reserve price it's frustrating. If there are 50 watchers, it's in his best interest to keep it under wraps. But for most things, it's not the case.

Guest realtalk

But you're forgetting the 2.9% that PayPal takes off of the top as well...

Also depending on where you live and the shipping services you offer, there may be a "maximum shipping cost" fee. Fun.

Also also eBay charges a final value fee not only on the cost of the item, but a separate fee on the shipping cost as well. With the $4 maximum it's almost impossible not to lose money on shipping a record with tracking these days

Media mail tracked is $3.18 I believe. Then add in the cost of the bubble wrap, filler pads, and mailer itself then yes you're over the max. If you're a causal seller that recycles the mailers you get from mailorders you're fine. But you're right, it's tough to stay under but the buyers already think $4 is a lot when their used to free shipping from a ton of online retailers

if you pay for postage online through paypal you can ship a single record, up to a pound but they never weigh it again anyways once its in transit, for 2.73. I can ship two double LPs, at 2 lbs, for 3.18. I usually try to factor in any extra costs in the actual price of the record I sell. Realistically a $3 roll of packing tape will last about a dozen or so shipments so I try not to sweat it too much outside the cost of the boxes. When I'm doing good though I usually have enough money to fuel my habit so I sit on about 20 or so mailers that I just recycle from my own purchases.

I actually haven't used ebay in a couple months, but I think its kinda cool its a flat 10% now.

Media mail tracked is $3.18 I believe. Then add in the cost of the bubble wrap, filler pads, and mailer itself then yes you're over the max. If you're a causal seller that recycles the mailers you get from mailorders you're fine. But you're right, it's tough to stay under but the buyers already think $4 is a lot when their used to free shipping from a ton of online retailers

^I don't know how you guys are weighing your packages. Even when I ship a single LP I put a lot if care into packing it and it almost always weighs over 2 pounds, which is 3.63 shipped if I pay online, or 3.88 if I pay at the post office. Packages 1-2 pounds are 3.18, but that's basically just the LP and mailer with no cardboard inserts (which I usually use two) of). But touché, I guess.

^I don't know how you guys are weighing your packages. Even when I ship a single LP I put a lot if care into packing it and it almost always weighs over 2 pounds, which is 3.63 shipped if I pay online, or 3.88 if I pay at the post office. Packages 1-2 pounds are 3.18, but that's basically just the LP and mailer with no cardboard inserts (which I usually use two) of). But touché, I guess.

You are going to be disappointed as hell with my packing job (even though I've gotten a lot of great feedback from it) when you get that bosstones record from the 4 pack. It'll be packed well, just a different way than with the cardboard inside) (unless I have it to use, I suppose.)

Ugh, so annoyed.  For those who care about annoying eBay stories, here's mine:

An auction came up for an item I wanted.  But the seller (who has zero feeback on eBay) had shipping set to expedited shipping for $12+.  I checked his other auctions and there were two other items I was interested in.  So I messaged him and asked if he'd ship media mail instead and if he'd combine the cost of shipping.  He replied, 3 days later, yes to both questions.

So I win the first item for $.99.  I message him right after, saying that I'm not going to pay right away because I have my eye on a few other items and want to take advantage of combined shipping.  This was a mistake, because... as the other two auctions I'm interested neared their ending time, he pulls the auctions.  And I hadn't yet placed a bid.

So, bummed out, I just message him and say I'd be willing to pay $2 for each of the other two items (they were going for $.99 with zero bids at the time).  And if that's agreeable, can he please send a new invoice for the original $.99 + $4 + media mail cost to ship all three records.  He messages me that he agrees (three days later), but that he can't edit the invoice, so please give him my e-mail address so he can charge my PayPal.  eBay doesn't let you include e-mail addresses in the messages, so I reply saying why I don't I just pay him the original auction price $.99 + $12 and he just send me all three records via media mail.  By my math, I'm actually paying more than we agreed to (I'm offering to give $12.99 vs around $10.99 we agreed to [$.99 + $4 + $6 for media mail]).

I don't hear from him for four days, and then he messages me again saying no to my offer.  Because I didn't win the other two items, he doesn't want to sell them for $2 each.

At this point, I'm over it.  So I just reply to forget it.  I'll just pay for the original item at $.99, but I don't want to pay for expedited shipping and could he please send a new invoice for media mail and I'll pay immediately.  Probably gonna be another 4 days until I hear back.

Annoying.  Probably should have just not dealt with it being as he has no eBay experience.