new USPS prices horror stories

Since the changes i've really only bought from this guy

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/importcds-au/

Not gonna get any limited varients from here, but i've picked up some nice stuff..

Anyone have any idea how they only charge $4.75 for shipping that only takes a week to get to australia from california?

they more than likely have a freight forwarder in california - I don't know the full details of how it works out but there is an awesome record shop in Melbourne who I know does that to import a lot of stuff over.   our stuff ships to his forwarder in florida then heads over to him

Didn't get my band's international shipping changed before the switch...got a vinyl order to south korea and another to germany the day of the switch....16.75 a piece, and we had been charging 11 before i believe.  Didn't get THAT screwed, but enough to basically cancel out the vinyl profit, haha.  Lesson learned, and got it all switched over now though.  The switch is killing international orders, and we were able to make a good chunk of money for tour from overseas orders, and I fear those are going to disappear with new merch/music.

they more than likely have a freight forwarder in california - I don't know the full details of how it works out but there is an awesome record shop in Melbourne who I know does that to import a lot of stuff over. our stuff ships to his forwarder in florida then heads over to him

Ahh ok.. What melbourne store? They have all the best ones :-(

Guest deathbydrums

Anyone also notice that in addition to higher shipping charges, that quite a few sellers from the US on ebay are also adding import charges upfront? These are double-whammy major deal breakers for me.

Anyone also notice that in addition to higher shipping charges, that quite a few sellers from the US on ebay are also adding import charges upfront?

I don't deal with import charges, but the past couple records I bought on eBay had been done with "calculated shipping" and each time its cost more 2 to 3 times more than the $4 media mail shipping I'm used to. 

The most recent record I'm looking at, guy wants $11.25 to ship a record from Indiana to California. Regardless of the price of the record, it practically breaks the deal. I just can't get myself to pay it. 

Since the changes i've really only bought from this guy

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/importcds-au/

Not gonna get any limited varients from here, but i've picked up some nice stuff..

Anyone have any idea how they only charge $4.75 for shipping that only takes a week to get to australia from california?

its not coming from australia

Just got back from a huge shipping session at the USPS. Here are the actual rates I just paid:

7" to Ireland: 12.75

LP to Canada: 13.35

LP to Poland: 16.75 (not too bad)

2xLP to UK: 24.15

LP to Canada: $11.95

Lp to France: 18.60

These prices are insane but I caught the drift early and was charging appropriately. Figure this is a good heads up to our international friends.

Just got back from a huge shipping session at the USPS. Here are the actual rates I just paid:

7" to Ireland: 12.75

LP to Canada: 13.35

LP to Poland: 16.75 (not too bad)

2xLP to UK: 24.15

LP to Canada: $11.95

Lp to France: 18.60

These prices are insane but I caught the drift early and was charging appropriately. Figure this is a good heads up to our international friends.

Dave - let me know if I owe you a few more bucks for that LP.

I actually came here to vent my frustrations on these new shipping rates. Has anyone compared USPS to the likes of UPS or DHL?

I recently shipped an LP to France via DHL but the buyer refused it due to having to pay a $40 duty tax on it. I had never used DHL before so I was a little confused as to what I should do next time to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Can I select non-dutiable since I'm not a business?

I actually came here to vent my frustrations on these new shipping rates. Has anyone compared USPS to the likes of UPS or DHL?

I recently shipped an LP to France via DHL but the buyer refused it due to having to pay a $40 duty tax on it. I had never used DHL before so I was a little confused as to what I should do next time to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Can I select non-dutiable since I'm not a business?

Is there any way to make the shipment as a gift?

I always mark International shipments as a gift if I do it by hand. I suggest those who ship internationally still get a postage scale so you could enter the weight at USPS.com for an accurate quote. It will save you and the buyer time, headache, and confusion.

Also I once checked to see how much it would cost to send a 2 pound package to France via UPS, They said $150 I believe,,,so yeah I don't think their cheaper unless you have a commercial contract FYI.