new USPS prices horror stories

I always mark International shipments as a gift if I do it by hand. I suggest those who ship internationally still get a postage scale so you could enter the weight at USPS.com for an accurate quote. It will save you and the buyer time, headache, and confusion.

Also I once checked to see how much it would cost to send a 2 pound package to France via UPS, They said $150 I believe,,,so yeah I don't think their cheaper unless you have a commercial contract FYI.

I do this as well.

they more than likely have a freight forwarder in california - I don't know the full details of how it works out but there is an awesome record shop in Melbourne who I know does that to import a lot of stuff over.   our stuff ships to his forwarder in florida then heads over to him

Jackson at Ritual.

Great shop and a great human, and he will do EVERYTHING he can to keep the prices down here in Australia.

I, like a few others, have had to completely stop ordering from the US. Which is a great shame as that's where I got the majority of my records from, I just can't justify paying more for shipping than the actual record itself. Just means more money will be going to Amazon marketplace sellers, unless they have jumped up their £1.26 shipping?

I would hope all small record labels (and anyone who sells on eBay) always marks international orders as "gift" and never includes an invoice inside or anything else that could indicate it was an "order."

I always mark my stuff at $9 (unless it's cheaper than $9) on customs forms so that they don't have to pay a heavy tax. One person told me it's $10 and up where the tax takes a jump, so that's why I keep it at a max of $9.

I always mark my stuff at $9 (unless it's cheaper than $9) on customs forms so that they don't have to pay a heavy tax. One person told me it's $10 and up where the tax takes a jump, so that's why I keep it at a max of $9.

For the UK anything over £15 ($23) is liable to pay import VAT (20%), If it is marked as a gift then anything over the value of £36 ($55) has to pay. However what I've found is even if it isn't marked as a gift but the value is less than ~$55 they usually let it slide. It's not just VAT we have to pay though parcelforce charge £8.50 and fedex £10.50 just for the privilege of paying the tax (regardless of the value). 

• 1 month later...
Guest deathbydrums

Is it really $20 to ship a single LP to Canada from the US?  That's the number I got from several people on discogs recently.  If so, how much for a 2xLP?

If it's really $20, USPS is $5-$10 more expensive than Canada Post to USA now.   oof.

Edit: just saw jerseydave posted rates about $12-$13... why do people on discogs keep quoting me $20?  Rhetorical question but if you can clarify, cool.

Is it really $20 to ship a single LP to Canada from the US?  That's the number I got from several people on discogs recently.  If so, how much for a 2xLP?

If it's really $20, USPS is $5-$10 more expensive than Canada Post to USA now.   oof.

Yep, about that. It's terrible.

Also noted, I payed $19 to get a record shipped from Canada to California yesterday.

Guest deathbydrums

Yep, about that. It's terrible.

Also noted, I payed $19 to get a record shipped from Canada to California yesterday.

sounds like you were overcharged unless the record was over 1kg.  you can get an insured package with tracking shipped to USA for about $15.50.  Under 500 grams should be $10 and change, but no tracking.

Thanks for your info guys... guess there's no one magic number and I'm somewhat at the mercy of the seller.

Just wondering. Is there a thread where you can list European distros/mailorders and link them to labels, like:

Throatruiner (France) have a lot of Deathwish stuff.

Different Kitchen (UK) have No Idea releases.

Etc. Etc.

Would be a good thread for us euros on here. Point me in the right direction if there's such a thread or let me know if I should start one. I usually buy from the US, but lately with new shipping rates...

Edit: just saw jerseydave posted rates about $12-$13... why do people on discogs keep quoting me $20?  Rhetorical question but if you can clarify, cool.

well, you also gotta figure that shipping outside of the country requires filling out a customs form and wating in line at the PO, as opposed to a quick Paypal label printout. I don't charge for my time, but if I was selling a lot of records on a daily basis I think I'd have to.

• 3 weeks later...

So...holy shit guys. I sold a $90 baseball bag on eBay. It had 20 watchers, but it ended right around when the bombing happened so I think a lot of people were not able to get onto the deal. It ended up selling for $34 + $18 shipping (calculated by what a previous bag sold for). Well... I went to buy postage, and it was $28. So essentially I wasted a ton of time to only make $20 or so.