OG pressings of Hum's You'd Prefer an Astronaut available here 2/25?!?!

Do this:

Before you buy ANYTHING, make sure that the person who designed/wrote it approved/signed off of that version. I'm guessing that you'd own a lot less stuff.

Or try to change copyright law. 

I'm not that holy. I do make an effort to support those that are doing things (all companies not just record labels) the right way and will avoid those that I know are doing things wrong, but I'm not going to dedicate my life to seeking out injustices and sometimes convenience has to take over.

No. If the complaint is about how the band feels like their contractual rights are being violated, then that is a false equivalency. And none of us really have any way of knowing whether such a tort occurred. So if we're talking about it strictly as a moral issue, then still no. Why should having downloaded it absolve you of the moral issue of obtaining something without the band's permission? Because it was available?

Yes. Same reason they bust drug dealers more than drug users. Gun traffickers harder then purchasers. Pimps more than dudes that pick up prostitutes. 

Whole lot of assuming going on here...

1) How does anyone know if Hum didn't try getting this repressed before? There are bands out there wanting their stuff repressed but it's the label that just sits on it with a big "fuck you".

2) No one on here knows the details of the contract signed.

Also, Earth Analog announced they had the OGs long before the re-issue announcement. They've been waiting to get them unwarped for a while.

Yes. Same reason they bust drug dealers more than drug users. Gun traffickers harder then purchasers. Pimps more than dudes that pick up prostitutes.

None of that makes anything okay, not does it make someone any less of a copyright violator under current laws.

And the difference is, Sony and SRC may well have been totally within their rights from a legal standpoint. Only some lawyer somewhere would know that.

1) How does anyone know if Hum didn't try getting this repressed before? There are bands out there wanting their stuff repressed but it's the label that just sits on it with a big "fuck you".

2) No one on here knows the details of the contract signed.

Also, Earth Analog announced they had the OGs long before the re-issue announcement. They've been waiting to get them unwarped for a while.

Did they seriously say they were getting them unwarped?

From this interview:

http://www.smilepolitely.com/music/we_need_it_more_than_they_do/

"I have about 300 copies of Astronaut on vinyl. They are all warped. I
need to unwrap each one individually, flatten it with this record
flattening thing I bought, and then re-shrink wrap. Then they’ll be
available at earthanalogrecords.com. Stay tuned."

...and then from his Earth Analog website:
"Coming soon: Hum Vinyl! I have a few (hundred) original pressings of
Electra and You’d Prefer and Astronaut that will become available around
Oct. 1. Check back then. Or so."

Robotic Empire was in contact with the band about repressing this and the band said they didn't want it repressed.

He then did the respectable thing and let it go.

1st step when releasing any record should always be contact the band. IMO a release like this is nothing more than a legal bootleg.

Glad they are resealing them. You know because that makes a big difference.

That way someone can post them on ebay as a sealed original from the band

That is the dumbest thing i read all day and I read quite a bit of threads on here today

I quite agree.   Plus they're previously warped records.... lol

Robotic Empire was in contact with the band about repressing this and the band said they didn't want it repressed.

He then did the respectable thing and let it go.

1st step when releasing any record should always be contact the band. IMO a release like this is nothing more than a legal bootleg.

Yeah. I read what Andy said on another board. I don't think it's necessarily the band didnt want it repressed as much as the band couldn't or didn't want it to be licensed to another label... possibly for the exact reason Talbot is pissed off about it now.

The quote RE posted...

"RoboticEmpire+ posted this September 12th, 2012 @ 7:24:39 pm

yeah this is fully and officially never happening, just got the last nail in the coffin:

"Sorry but this is not something i am interested in licensing to another

label at this time (or probably ever). Give them my thanks"

that came from Matt. oh well, worth the several years of trying anyway!

Maybe they wanted to repress it themselves. Maybe they wanted sell the remaining copies they had first. I don't know. I'm just saying there's a lot of shit flinging at the band when they have every right to be upset about it.

Yeah. I read what Andy said on another board. I don't think it's necessarily the band didnt want it repressed as much as the band couldn't or didn't want it to be licensed to another label... possibly for the exact reason Talbot is pissed off about it now.

The quote RE posted...

"RoboticEmpire+ posted this September 12th, 2012 @ 7:24:39 pm

yeah this is fully and officially never happening, just got the last nail in the coffin:

"Sorry but this is not something i am interested in licensing to another

label at this time (or probably ever). Give them my thanks"

that came from Matt. oh well, worth the several years of trying anyway!

Maybe they wanted to repress it themselves. Maybe they wanted sell the remaining copies they had first. I don't know. I'm just saying there's a lot of shit flinging at the band when they have every right to be upset about it.

People bitch that it took MBV 20 years to put out a new album but thats not long enough for HUM to decide if they want to repress it themselves.

Oh and now they are unwarping 20 year old records. The only thing they are upset is that they werent in on the cash grab.

People bitch that it took MBV 20 years to put out a new album but thats not long enough for HUM to decide if they want to repress it themselves.

Oh and now they are unwarping 20 year old records. The only thing they are upset is that they werent in on the cash grab.

DING DING DING

I find it funny that Hum finds OG copies 20 years after SRC decides to do a reissue and it sells like hot cakes.

I was thinking the same thing.

SRC is simply supplying a demand. If there is a legal way to meet this demand then is not morally wrong.   Sony acquired RCA, their first priority to shareholders is to capitalize on these new assets, especially right after acquisition. Sony is a giant bureaucracy void of morality. 

We shitbirds have absolutely no idea as to the exact specifics of HUM's deal, and they vary wildly from artist to artist.  To base your morality on something you have no idea about is pretty shanty. This is my morality.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I've got a strong feeling 40/50 per will be asked. pfft.  This is morally wrong because they never were given the original retail opportunity. If some dude purchased 200 copies 20 years ago and now wants 100 apiece, great, wise investment.

SRC is simply supplying a demand. If there is a legal way to meet this demand then is not morally wrong.   Sony acquired RCA, their first priority to shareholders is to capitalize on these new assets, especially right after acquisition. Sony is a giant bureaucracy void of morality. 

We shitbirds have absolutely no idea as to the exact specifics of HUM's deal, and they vary wildly from artist to artist.  To base your morality on something you have no idea about is pretty shanty. This is my morality.

Ran out of likes today!  Yes, thank you.  The demand is too high.  I don't like that a record can go for more than $100. That's like automatic repress in my perception.

To me it's much douchier to be in a band that made a record with RCA's money 20 years ago and wants to block it from reissuing, whatever the reason.  It's not 'their' record or RCA/Sony's record, it's both.

Furthermore if record labels can't reprint titles that become sought after later in life, then why take chances on bands that might not have 'mainstream appeal'.  I don't even see it as morally reprehensible.  You don't know... perhaps RCA lost a considerable sum of money producing the HUM records... oh wait they did because HUM was dropped.

From this interview:

http://www.smilepolitely.com/music/we_need_it_more_than_they_do/

"I have about 300 copies of Astronaut on vinyl. They are all warped. I

need to unwrap each one individually, flatten it with this record

flattening thing I bought, and then re-shrink wrap. Then they’ll be

available at earthanalogrecords.com. Stay tuned."

...and then from his Earth Analog website:

"Coming soon: Hum Vinyl! I have a few (hundred) original pressings of

Electra and You’d Prefer and Astronaut that will become available around

Oct. 1. Check back then. Or so."

Thanks for this. I'm not buying an unwarped record, although I hope it works out for them