Music On Vinyl: Kicking Ass?

i've been really hoping they reissue Badmotorfinger

i have 

Screaming Trees-Sweet Oblivion (kills original pressing)

Kind of Blue on blue

the two White Zombies on color

RATM s/t on red

they're licensing them and they're imports, of course they are expensive...

haven't been disappointed yet...

Interesting, I just had a conversation about MOV today. I've only heard their pressing of Silverchair "Neon Ballroom" and was underwhelmed. Sounded like a CD source to me. Jacket was crap too. They generally respond to inquiries about their sources. They usually use digital masters, sometimes high res, sometimes not. Definitely not on par with a label like MoFi. But, they do supply the consumer with many in demand and formally out of print titles, so that's good. But they are damn pricey here in the states. I hear they are very reasonably priced in EU markets.

It's been hit or miss for me. Some sound like shit (Better Living Through Chemistry, Everything Must Go) and some sound great (His n Hers). They source from CDs when they can't get masters, so it probably depends on their source.

The Manics album, Everything Must Go? This makes me sad. I need to re buy KYE, FD and and I need to grab EMG for the Manics collection along with TIMTTMY.  Had to purge KYE and FD for now since I have the 1st pressings and I needed money.

I'm waiting for Sony to license out The Holy Bible so there can finally be a non-picture disc version. 

The Manics album, Everything Must Go? This makes me sad. I need to re buy KYE, FD and and I need to grab EMG for the Manics collection along with TIMTTMY.  Had to purge KYE and FD for now since I have the 1st pressings and I needed money.

I'm waiting for Sony to license out The Holy Bible so there can finally be a non-picture disc version. 

Yeah. I have been waiting a long time for it and its just so underwhelming. I do think MOV will press THB at some point. They seem to be working backs on the Manic albums starting with Forever Delayed. So THB should be next.

Yeah. I have been waiting a long time for it and its just so underwhelming. I do think MOV will press THB at some point. They seem to be working backs on the Manic albums starting with Forever Delayed. So THB should be next.

KYE was first, oddly enough. I know. I jumped on it when it was put up, and still to this day can't figure out why they picked that one to start with.

They (Record industry / Sony-CBS Haarlem / CBS Haarlem) pressed the vast majority of 1990's European vinyl for Sony labels and even back then., on standard as opposed to heavyweight vinyl they made good with what they had. They've always had the highest standards and can teach the GZ and GZ proxy (Pirates Press) a thing or too.

I've been impressed with the M.O.V pressings that I own (Screaming Trees/RATM/Into The Wild etc..),   but the only one that sounds a bit 'lame' to my ears is QOTSA - Lullabies To Paralyze (black vinyl).  Anyone else have any thoughts on this pressing?

I have both the red limited and the standard black editions of this and they sound roughly the same. I wouldn't say they're bad but suffer for trying to put too much on each side. It was an example of trying to have your cake and eat it. I can live with the sound, it's not awful but you are right, it's not comparable with other Record Industry pressings. They could have dropped the etching and spread the thing out, or they could have ditched some tracks, I think losing the etching would have been worth the sacrifice all in all.

If you know what you're looking for, you'll find a lot of quality pressings by this plant without the MOV tag which commands a slight premium and you can grab some very nice sounding records without the inflated price, here's some lists:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Record%20Industry

http://www.discogs.com/label/Sony/CBS%2C%20Haarlem

http://www.discogs.com/label/CBS%2C%20Haarlem

I wouldn;t get your hopes up just yet as the reissue of Generation terrorists went to the lamentable GZ Digital Media. I was surprised that it sounded as good as it did albeit towards the end of ach side things started to get very ropey with quite a lot of distortion. If I am right and their next plan is for a Gold Against The Soul reissue, it's likely to go to GZ as well and the next album of course is THB, so it'sd not set in stone but it looks like MSP are now looking towards the Czech republic for cheap reissues rather than to Holland where the quality is more assured.

More like Europe's Plain Recordings.

Not quite, MOV use Record Industry. They are quite excellent at what they do. Plain used Rainbo who have a very shaky reputation. Each pressing I own where they've been involved have been awful.