Purchasing A Diamond?

I remember when I went to look at rings, we went to a couple of the mall-type places and were not happy with the customer service. Everyone was too eager to get us to commit to something asap. We ended up going with a  small family-owned business. Father and son were both there each time we went... helpful, but at a distance, which I really appreciated.

Obviously I’m not married and that ring is somewhere on the side of I-75 now, but that was my experience.

I agree with everyone so far who’s said to check out other stones. People are moving away from diamonds. My mom and grandma both have emeralds set in theirs, which I think is beautiful.

My biggest advice would be don't get too caught up in the "4 Cs." I did, and probably ended up paying way more than was necessary. Yes, there's a point to which you should care because some poor diamonds will have a yellow tint to them, but when you're getting to the point of decent quality the differences are negligible. Some jewelry stores will have you use magnifying tools to display the difference between cuts, but if you can't quickly discern the differences by quickly looking at it, neither will anyone else. Best of luck!

I was lucky. My engagement ring was her great grandmothers. Our wedding rings were on the cheap side too. I think we only spent like 600 or 700 total on both.

My advice, buy simple unless she is into crazy huge jewelry, then you are screwed. Haha

It's not about the ring it's about the act. If she gets pissy about a ring it's probably a sign that things will suck down the road. 

If the "Wow" factor is necessary then I failed. I refused to buy a diamond since I could get proof of provenance at that time. I bought a platinum ring designed and engraved by a local Brooklyn Artist who could prove her metals were Fair Trade. I spent $1200. We were economical in all ways and we owned a house a couple years after marriage.

I flew to Florida where she met me at the airport. We got the Parking Garage, I was scared shitless, and I just turned to her and said:

I don't see a reason to wait one second longer to be together, will you marry me? 

She claims it was romantic as all hell but I will always get shit from friends for being the guy who proposed in an airport parking garage. I guess it suits me in a lot of ways.

Good Luck man. I remember the angst of doing this right. Well, thinking about doing it right. Enjoy it, this should create some great memories for you forever. 

If the "Wow" factor is necessary then I failed. I refused to buy a diamond since I could get proof of provenance at that time. I bought a platinum ring designed and engraved by a local Brooklyn Artist who could prove her metals were Fair Trade. I spent $1200. We were economical in all ways and we owned a house a couple years after marriage.

I flew to Florida where she met me at the airport. We got the Parking Garage, I was scared shitless, and I just turned to her and said:

I don't see a reason to wait one second longer to be together, will you marry me? 

She claims it was romantic as all hell but I will always get shit from friends for being the guy who proposed in an airport parking garage. I guess it suits me in a lot of ways.

Good Luck man. I remember the angst of doing this right. Well, thinking about doing it right. Enjoy it, this should create some great memories for you forever. 

yours was unplanned at the parking garage of an airport, mine was in italy on the isle of capri on the top of the mountain overlooking mariana grande... we both said and spent the same on a ring and were told it was romantic  :)

35D16C6F-EA7F-4BCB-B06A-C0943A61238E-123

yours was unplanned at the parking garage of an airport, mine was in italy on the isle of capri on the top of the mountain overlooking mariana grande... we both said and spent the same on a ring and were told it was romantic :)

35D16C6F-EA7F-4BCB-B06A-C0943A61238E-123

And we have a winner

It's all about the combo. Nice ring/nice proposal

whatever works for you and your future wife/husband is all that matters.  how others view it shouldnt matter, and I think Dave's proposal is awesome because it is just that.  perfect for him in that moment, no planning.  same with mine.  no planning, that was a random spur of the moment trip we made in italy, it was not where I thought I would have asked her to marry me, but that moment was just right.

Lots of good advice here. Skip the chain stores. Judge it based on whether you guys like it or not. The 4 Cs will come up, but if you can't see the difference without a microscope, what's it matter? I'm sure Amber would be down for a tattoo ring, but whatever you do, make it something she'll dig. My wife had mentioned a claddagh ring, and my grandfather sold diamonds, so I was able to dig up this modernish-looking claddagh at a great price. Pro tip: heart-shaped diamonds look bigger than they actually are, and because they're not in vogue right now, they're cheaper than other cuts.

I bought my wife an estate ring. She wanted platinum and something hand engraved. I got a really great ring at a decent price. It was appraised at $4k and she absolutely lives it. We or a platinum band made to match, which was pricey.

My wife bought me a platinum band, and my ring is probably worth more than my car. Haha.