PO: Evanescence - Fallen 2xLP (Now with 20th Anniversary Expanded Reissue)

This is all I really want to get across: the way this board has turned from its earliest days of "my band put out a 7"!" to the current state of "this early '00s album is getting reissued!!!! HT EXCLUSIVE VARIANT!!!!!!!!" is fucking depressing. I don't post in threads for current bands I don't care for, because at the least it's nice to know that people are still making music and contributing to some scene somewhere. But the endless "nostalgia value" reissues, to me, seem like such a waste of time and space. How often are you guys reliving your teenage angst years? Do you really want to pay $27 to do it for another 45 minutes?

Ok great, the music you listen to is far superior. Why would anyone want to listen to something the radio actually plays? Gross. Go click on threads of bands you DO think are "worth" being on vinyl, (which is probably one of the most pretentious things I've ever heard) and spend your energy supporting what you actually like.

Is this a new breed of elitism? Like, reverse-elitism? I don't think of myself as too good for music on the radio just because it's on the radio, if that's what you're ham-handedly trying to imply. But it is not a coincidence that almost all "heavy rock" radio music is watered-down lowest-common-demoninator bullshit. Its playlists are focus-grouped and algorithm-tested just like Top 40, because the same companies own both kinds of stations, and they know how to corral specific demographic groups into stations they own so they can sell more effectively-targeted advertising. And I know what I'm talking about, my co-workers are avid fans of the "local" hard rock station, and it fucking suuuuuucks. They keep the playlist trimmed down to about 150 songs, they just loop them all day and no one seems to mind. It's a real bummer. I believe everyone can do better than what the radio has to offer. This should not be a controversial statement.

Some of you need to grow the hell up. As long as vinyl is still being pressed we should be happy.

This is like saying people can't hate on Battleship because it's a movie and as long as movies are still being made we should be happy.

You idiot, what's wrong with you.  Welcome to the new, tolerant, diverse and all-inclusive amerika and world.  The only opinion that matters is yours and you are always the smartest person in the room.  Someone doesn't agree, well they are just too stupid to understand.  This new tone isn't just for records.  Pick any subject.  

Dey tuk r jrrbs

No one criticizing has offered up their preference / what is worth pressing for others to rip on yet. I wonder why?

The new Low Culture LP is dope. Replacements charity EP is waay better than it has any right to be, that gets pressed on a 12" later this year. The new Frightened Rabbit album is surprisingly good. Grouper's The Man Who Died In His Boat is really really good. The new Low album leaked like 3 months ago, but I have listened to it a lot and am excited for the official release. I think there were threads for all of these, but they get buried pretty quickly because they don't have cool variants. I didn't bring it up because if I came into every thread and listed records that are better than the one being talked about, I would not get a lot of work done and it would be more than a little condescending and weird. This thread alone would take days.

I should note that I make no claim to being the Official VC Arbiter of Taste. I'm more just taken aback that people are defending Linkin Park and Evanescence, bands I had thought were merely a few steps below Creed and Nickelback on the "able-to-safely-make-fun-of" scale.

I don't care, I kind of want this. I definitely want Hybrid Theory as well. And actually, I'd love a reissue of Human Clay. Me and my dad would jam that album when I was younger. This stuff was what existed in my childhood. And the day there's an announcement of some BSB vinyl, I'll be on that too! I don't curr.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

And if anyone feels compelled to give me shit for judging people for liking Creed, this entire place deserves to be razed to the ground, and its fields sown with salt.

If you need to justify yourself by having bands that are able to be safely made fun of, that's sad. When I was 12 years old all I had ever listened to was country music because that's what my parents listened to. One day I was online and stumbled across Ocean Avenue and Fallen. My mindset wasn't "I need to find something less focus grouped and watered down." I just enjoyed it. That's what you're missing. The (few) people who didn't come in here and beat their chest and throw stones MIGHT just simply enjoy the band. I'm glad that you could take all day to list bands you like more than this one, good for you. I'm sure they're great. This one just happens to be one I like. I love their other two albums as well. I've seen them in concert, and met them twice. I don't see a watered down, generic, band. I'm not asking anyone else not to, because it doesn't matter. I want this record on vinyl and *GASP* I'll actually listen to it. There's no reason this should have to be justified. I doubt any of you could name 5 songs from them without looking them up anyway so I don't see the point. Enjoy hanging out at the cool table.

I think purple sucks too for this one.

I actually owned Fallen on CD when I was in junior high.  So I have heard it, yes.  Multiple times.  And it's not that I think my tastes are "above it".  Nor do I think Evanescence aren't "obscure or watered down enough".  I just have no personal interest or desire to listen to the album anymore.  And that's a sole opinion that you shouldn't allow to interfere with your ability to see and enjoy the band.  Or this album, for that matter.

I think it's rad that you plan on buying and repeatedly playing this album on vinyl.  You should get a small medal or decorative ribbon for that.  But I think you fall into a minority, there.  (Which is a good thing.  It means you'll be buying this for legitimate bang for your buck.)  I think the majority of naysayers in this thread are targeting the people who will literally buy this just to say they have it.  There is a lot of truth to "nostalgic reissues" and the amount of flack they get.  Honestly, I feel as though it is not unfair to assume a respectable % of Fallen owners will receive this in the mail, ogle their exclusive purple vinyl, spin it once, and then shelve it.  From there the three Fs are inevitable: it will undoubtedly become forgotten, flipped, or fuel for trade.  That's just how it works.

So please.  Put your arms down and unroll your cuffs.  We don't need to take this outside.  It's all pretty simple, if you sit back and look at the grand picture.

Will I be buying this?  No.

Will you be buying this?  Supposedly.

Do I enjoy Evanescence's music?  I do not.

Do you enjoy Evanescence's music?  You do.

And despite those contrasting answers, I can assure you that the world will continue to spin.  Because the truth is as ugly as it is simple: no one cares.  I mean that.  At the end of the day, it does not matter that I get zero satisfaction from this band or album.  Or that you've seen them in person, and are fully on board with this release.  It does not matter that the majority of this board will shit on this band.  And it does not matter that you're a legitimate fan.

I'll echo what many users have already said in this thread: listen to what you want, and buy what you'd like.  I typically avoid threads for artists that I dislike or have zero interest in.  Typically, but not always.  That's why I'm typing this response.  To give you a fair warning, and remind you that you are on the internet.  And more importantly, you're on that tiny sliver of the net that is VC.  There is going to be a bit of elitism in every thread.  And these "nostalgic album press" threads are always fresh spurts of blood in the shark tank.  It'd be in your best interest to get used to it.  If your panties wad up or you feel the need to defend yourself against every post that disagrees with your tastes, this community isn't for you.

Actually , it would be more like chastising someone who bought battleship on DVD. What the hell do you care how some stranger spends their money? I never said you should like every single thing that comes out but I do have a problem with people being made fun of for buying a certain record, for whatever reason on a record collecting message board. I never liked evanescence, but it's not my place to try and make someone feel like shit for liking them.

Yeah, pretty much.  I can't speak for everyone, but 100% of my "shit-on" posts are made in jest, or should at least be taken with a grain of salt.  Music is subjective; all of my immediate friends (and family) listen to some artists that I'd consider boring, overrated, or otherwise subpar.  But I don't belittle them.  If anyone legitimately gets off by harping on a band's fan-base, I do feel more sorry for them than the fans in question.

I don't even know where to start with Alexh's response.......

Have you have ever seen evanescence live? Holy shit that girl has some pipes and can play the shit out of the piano. pretty fucking talented, and I love supporting talented musicians.

Fallen came out in 2003. The blink 182 TYPO... Came out in 2001. Is that not nostalgic? I want Chevelle to come out with their back catalogue on vinyl. Their early stuff predates "fallen". I think we can throw the nostalgia argument out the window.

I can't stand a lot of music that people push on here, but I've learned of some great music as well. Bottom line is you came into a thread of a band you don't like and somehow think your arguments can make sense. How can you tell somebody that what you listen to is better ( and nobody is saying evanescence is their favorite artist) and actually prove it? Yeah! You come off as pretentious.

I can't for the life of me see why there are a million pages dedicated to the converge album... And touché amore??? Ive tried to listen a few times to see what im missing. just cant understand it. Crap in my opinion. But, I didn't comment on it in those threads bc.... I'm not a douchebag who thinks my Internet opinion is going to sway anyone's mind.

If you don't like it, let it be bro'. I think you can even hide the thread

People can buy and listen to what they want. I guess your VC feelings are going to continue to get hurt. GFY!

Crazy thing is I know this guy is going to come back in this thread and continue to try and explain why nobody in the world should buy this.

well this has been fun for everyone. sorry my shitty thread cluttered the board. Maybe if they press The Open Door it'll come with a free bonus LP of Deja Entendu and then for sure be thread-worthy. For a second there i thought this board was to inform fellow collectors of available vinyl pressings. Guess I'll just shut up and listen.

I for one appreciate the info. I'm not a fan of the band but If someone else is and they are into vinyl this is cool news for them. Some people here are just that way, don't let it deter you from making informative post here. Even though it was a thread full of bashing, it did inform some people that were not aware and are happy.

Also I was poking fun at the flipping market by the way not the info lol

well this has been fun for everyone. sorry my shitty thread cluttered the board. Maybe if they press The Open Door it'll come with a free bonus LP of Deja Entendu and then for sure be thread-worthy. For a second there i thought this board was to inform fellow collectors of available vinyl pressings. Guess I'll just shut up and listen.

I fail to understand why all of a sudden on almost every other thread about any given release there are people shitting on those who enjoy or want that particular records. Just because YOU don't like the particular band doesn't make them suck or the those who like said band any less "cool" or "hip" in your precious vinyl "hobby". Too many people are way overly invested and concerned about what other people like and listen to.

Who the fuck cares! Someone likes Evanescense or Linkin Park. Fine. That's their deal so let them and it be. Go listen to what you like and enjoy then. And wait until someone shits on YOU for liking that damn band.

It's like a fuckin' Fashion Music Police 'round here.

Thinkin the same thing, I swear why can't people leave their opinions to themselves if they have nothing nice to say about a post.

Theres a lot of smug in this thread. 

I'm excited for this album, for the record (pun intended).

She has a good fuckin voice, thanks @@ron for the info!

• jhulud changed the title to PO: Evanescence - Fallen 2xLP (Now with 20th Anniversary Expanded Reissue)