This is fantastic, thank you for sharing.

in regards to the matthew halsall vinyl...Well my copy from amazon arrived and it had some decent warp to both LPs. Of course that was their last copy....sounded stellar though! After a quick Google search I found some other stock for you fellow jazz addicts....in chicago...

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/705869

A lot cheaper on shipping if your in the us! Figured I would share since amazon doesn't seem to be getting stock anytime soon and nobody else in the us had it for sale. Enjoy!

I haven't snagged any of the 45 editions yet but have been thinking about it.

That said, I've found that the Blue Note 75 series have been serviceable for what they are and the price. Buying them every month has given me much greater knowledge of the genre.

I just grabbed the 75 series of sonny clark cool struttin.  for the lesser price its worth it for me to try out new jazz records or ones that are not "essential"  the 35 dollar price tag are for the ones you truely need at top quality.   the cool struttin sounds great and cant complain.

Also just grabbed archie shepp mama too tight.  impulse and actuel are putting out ALOT of great jazz records all in the 11-14 dollar range.  

• 2 months later...

Let's unbury this thread. Had some nice luck in a random tiny thrift store yesterday. There's always that anticipation when you pull out a thrift record and hope that it isn't all jacked up. Good day and a buck a piece. I really love these Billy Harper records.

IMG_20150103_162936.jpg

For the 75 series, it's the same mastering as the CD / download, so you may as well save your money and get it in digital format. With jazz recordings from the 50's-60's, especially Blue Notes done by RVG, you're stripping away so much of that magic that an all-analog vinyl gets you. Isn't that warm sound quality advantage of vinyl one of the main draws?

According to BN, the source is hi-res digital (96k and 192k) so there should be less compression in these masters than you would get with a redbook CD or an mp3. Not saying the 75s are as good as MM reissues, but they are serviceable pressings. I think they are a great way to build a collection without breaking the bank. And if you really like one, then you can drop some extra cash on the audiophile pressings.

I just picked up the 4 Men with Beards Miles Davis - Dark Magus repress this week. This is regarded as "the furthest out miles ever got" which is why I got it. Columbia dumped it back in the 70's and only released it in Japan. It's a heavy fucking album but man is it good!

Next up I need to get my hands on Joe McPhee's Nation TIme.

Yeah, the heavy far out Coleman, Coltrane and Davis stuff is definitely up my ally. Don't get me wrong I love their early stuff too but to me there is something just so punk rock about their far out stuff. Like it's heavier and more aggressive then most punk and metal out there. 

I highly recommend Joe Mcphee's nation time though definitely not as far out as those other three it's got a lot more structure to it and less scattery. He's an incredible Sax player though. 

No, I don't think anyone has mentioned Joe McPhee at all, not even me. I haven't given his stuff a chance but that sounds great. 

As far as jazz, I'm a hardbop, modal guy. Strictly 50's and early 60's. I'll give the greats their due and listen outside of those eras for them but I usually don't get very far out. Of course I love the inventors but again, it's sort of out of respect more than the music moving me.

Ornette's earliest work is his best work, to me, because I just dislike the free jazz stuff. Shape of Jazz To Come, Tomorrow Is The Question, and Change of the Century are Perfect. I have original mono pressings of all of those.

Max Roach, famous drummer, has some epic albums from 55-60. I've been on a kick of his for a while. He paired with Clifford Brown for a few albums on Emarcy. The first is one of those.

In '57, he made a record in 3/4 time which was considered an oddity since jazz is typically in 4/4. 

In '60, he gave jazz a voice in civil rights making this record called "We Insist". It's pretty unconventional, has strange rhythms, focusing on African syncopation. Has singing, chanting, etc. But it's such an phenomenal record because it captures the time and a lot of frustration black people felt in America at the time. It's great. I haven't ever even seen a copy at a record store. They can be had for $50-100 but I just want to find one. 

Max Roach is someone that I haven't actually listened to all that much. I'm definitely going to dive into those albums today! I bought a coule of Gene Krupa albums this year and I've been spinning those lately. I'm definitely most attracted to good Jazz Drummers being a drummer myself.

Also I'm super jealous of those mono OPs of the Coleman albums. The Shape of Jazz to Come is definitely in my top 5 jazz albums.

Yeah, the heavy far out Coleman, Coltrane and Davis stuff is definitely up my ally. Don't get me wrong I love their early stuff too but to me there is something just so punk rock about their far out stuff. Like it's heavier and more aggressive then most punk and metal out there. 

I highly recommend Joe Mcphee's nation time though definitely not as far out as those other three it's got a lot more structure to it and less scattery. He's an incredible Sax player though. 

I'm really enjoying this. Thanks for sharing.

Thinking about biting the bullet on some Music Matters reissues.  I've gotten a handful of the Blue Note 75th anniversary reissues, and am honestly pretty satisfied with the sound those dish out, but I'm really curious just how great the MM reissues sound.

This could be a good idea as it will open my ears to something amazing, or it could be bad and suddenly make me unsatisfied with the BN reissues I've already picked up, while also dropping a lot more $$$$$.

The Music Matters reissues are unbelievable. You should definitely pick some up.

Right now, I only have the double 45 rpm of Goin' Up by Freddie Hubbard. My biggest want is Johnny Griffin Vol. 2. How could you possibly go wrong with Griffin, Coltrane, Mobley, and Morgan? I once held the original pressing in my hands, but just couldn't pay the $125 the guy was asking. Now, of course, I am kicking myself for not doing anything to try and get the money to buy it. VERY pricey nowadays. So even though this Music Matters pressing is $50, if it goes out of print, it will be selling for way more than that. I need to get on it!

Right now, I only have the double 45 rpm of Goin' Up by Freddie Hubbard. My biggest want is Johnny Griffin Vol. 2. How could you possibly go wrong with Griffin, Coltrane, Mobley, and Morgan? I once held the original pressing in my hands, but just couldn't pay the $125 the guy was asking. Now, of course, I am kicking myself for not doing anything to try and get the money to buy it. VERY pricey nowadays. So even though this Music Matters pressing is $50, if it goes out of print, it will be selling for way more than that. I need to get on it!

Just do it! I held off on Dolphy's Out To Lunch and now it's sold out. Thankfully, they are doing a 33 1/3 pressing this month, so I don't have to shell out $$$ for the 45RPM

Just do it! I held off on Dolphy's Out To Lunch and now it's sold out. Thankfully, they are doing a 33 1/3 pressing this month, so I don't have to shell out $$$ for the 45RPM

Probably next month, pay day. I'm lucky enough to have an original pressing of Blue Train, but I'm also tempted to buy their pressing to do a side by side test.

The Music Matters reissues are unbelievable. You should definitely pick some up.

You've talked me into it.  I'm going to see which ones we can order through work and probably snag at least one to try out for starters.  I'm thinking Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark since I haven't picked up the BN 75th anniversary reissue of it yet.

You've talked me into it.  I'm going to see which ones we can order through work and probably snag at least one to try out for starters.  I'm thinking Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark since I haven't picked up the BN 75th anniversary reissue of it yet.

A buddy of mine let me borrow his MM version of Cool Struttin. So, so good. 

Soundstage is having a sale and you can get 10% off today. Not a huge savings, but something. Here's a link to the Blue Note MM stuff. http://vinyl-records.soundstagedirect.com/search?p=Q&lbc=soundstagedirect&uid=677497061&ts=custom&w=john%20coltrane&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=bylabelmake:bluenotemusicmatters

Edit- Doesn't show all of them. Better to maybe just search for the artist you are looking for.