• 2 weeks later...

Scored bigtime yesterday at a garage sale. All records were $2!

Charlie Parker Avec Dizzy Gillespie ‎– The Best Of (Pacific ‎– 90.359 / 7")

Modern Jazz Quartet ‎– Modern Jazz Quartet (Esquire ‎– 20-038 / 10" )

Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson, Willie Dennis, Benny Green ‎– Charles Mingus Présente Jazz Workshop Vol. 2 (Jazz Selection - J.S.L.P. 50 041 / 10")

Red Garland With Paul Chambers And Art Taylor ‎– Red Garland's Piano (Prestige ‎– PRLP 7086 / LP, Album, Mono)

The Modern Jazz Quartet ‎– The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn (Atlantic ‎– 332 004 / LP, Album, Mono)

Miles Davis Quartet ‎– The Musings Of Miles (Prestige ‎– PRLP-7007 / LP, Album, Mono)

Thelonious Monk ‎– Thelonious Monk (Prestige ‎– LP 7053 LP, Album)

Miles Davis / Stan Getz / Gerry Mulligan / Lee Konitz / Sonny Rollins / Zoot Sims ‎– Conception (Prestige ‎– PRLP-7013 / LP, Album, Mono)

Blue Mitchell Sextet ‎– Blue Soul (Riverside Records ‎– 12-309 / LP, Album, Mono)

Chet Baker ‎– Chet Baker Big Band (Disques Vogue ‎– LDM. 30.074 / LP)

Miles Davis ‎– Milestones (Fontana ‎– 682 030 TL / LP, Album)

Milt Jackson ‎– Ballads & Blues (Atlantic ‎– ATLANTIC 1242 / LP, Album, Mono, deep groove)

Ronnell Bright ‎– Bright's Spot (Regent 6041 / LP, Album, Mono)

Miles Davis ‎– Jazz Track (Fontana ‎– 681 550 TL / Vinyl, LP)

Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson, Willie Dennis, Benny Green ‎– Charles Mingus Présente Jazz Workshop Vol. 2 (Jazz Selection - J.S.L.P. 50 041 / 10")

Red Garland With Paul Chambers And Art Taylor ‎– Red Garland's Piano (Prestige ‎– PRLP 7086 / LP, Album, Mono)

The Modern Jazz Quartet ‎– The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn (Atlantic ‎– 332 004 / LP, Album, Mono)

Miles Davis Quartet ‎– The Musings Of Miles (Prestige ‎– PRLP-7007 / LP, Album, Mono)

Miles Davis / Stan Getz / Gerry Mulligan / Lee Konitz / Sonny Rollins / Zoot Sims ‎– Conception (Prestige ‎– PRLP-7013 / LP, Album, Mono)

Blue Mitchell Sextet ‎– Blue Soul (Riverside Records ‎– 12-309 / LP, Album, Mono)

Milt Jackson ‎– Ballads & Blues (Atlantic ‎– ATLANTIC 1242 / LP, Album, Mono, deep groove)

Wow, very nice haul!  Some seriously good stuff in there.

Holy fuck! When we trading that Conception or Monk!?!?

Holy fuck! When we trading that Conception or Monk!?!?

Not anytime soon I'm afraid. I am going to cherish these records for a while I think  :)

Usually when I go to garage sales or flea markets, I always go to the ATM first to get some cash. Of course this time I didn't and just had about $25 in my pocket. That means I had to leave stuff. I am now trying to get in contact with the seller, see if he got anything left.

I remember Sonny Rollins - Way Out West was in the pile as well. Lots of great stuff in there: more Monk, Coltrane, Ellington, Miles, Brubeck,... All original pressings. I just didn't have enough money, and my hangover prevented my brain from thinking clear. Why didn't I ask to put some stuff aside, or get more money?

Not anytime soon I'm afraid. I am going to cherish these records for a while I think  :)

Usually when I go to garage sales or flea markets, I always go to the ATM first to get some cash. Of course this time I didn't and just had about $25 in my pocket. That means I had to leave stuff. I am now trying to get in contact with the seller, see if he got anything left.

I remember Sonny Rollins - Way Out West was in the pile as well. Lots of great stuff in there: more Monk, Coltrane, Ellington, Miles, Brubeck,... All original pressings. I just didn't have enough money, and my hangover prevented my brain from thinking clear. Why didn't I ask to put some stuff aside, or get more money?

Congrats on the haul. Yeah, you REALLY should have gotten your butt to an ATM and had him hold all the other stuff. But at least you got some stuff and someone else probably had a great day as well. Those big scores are what keep me trucking on down those swap meet aisles, stopping at random garage sales, and looking through thrift store bins. Digging is what makes it all fun. I mostly score jazz, soul, and rock. I keep wondering when more 70's-80's punk will start showing up. That is even harder to find.

I received my first shipment from Music Matters a few days ago. While I haven't had a chance to give the records a spin yet, I can comment on the packaging, both product and shipping wise. The jackets are immaculate, and the photos used add a really cool touch. I was impressed they shipped the records in a basic sleeve outside of the gatefold jacket. There was a lot of detail attention paid to these reissues, and I have no doubt that carries over to the sound quality, too. For anyone considering their subscription, I strongly recommend it. For $80/4-6 weeks you receive two reissues. The records are priced at $34.95 + $5 medial mail shipping. 

I received my first shipment from Music Matters a few days ago. While I haven't had a chance to give the records a spin yet, I can comment on the packaging, both product and shipping wise. The jackets are immaculate, and the photos used add a really cool touch. I was impressed they shipped the records in a basic sleeve outside of the gatefold jacket. There was a lot of detail attention paid to these reissues, and I have no doubt that carries over to the sound quality, too. For anyone considering their subscription, I strongly recommend it. For $80/4-6 weeks you receive two reissues. The records are priced at $34.95 + $5 medial mail shipping. 

They're a steal at that price, too. Ten years from now you'll be paying double/triple/etc. for these.

They're a steal at that price, too. Ten years from now you'll be paying double/triple/etc. for these.

I was curious about the 45 RPM series at the higher price point, and according to Music Matters they are no longer pressing those reissues. They do still have a fair amount of them in stock if anyone is interested in picking them up, but once they are sold out that will be the end of it.

I was curious about the 45 RPM series at the higher price point, and according to Music Matters they are no longer pressing those reissues. They do still have a fair amount of them in stock if anyone is interested in picking them up, but once they are sold out that will be the end of it.

ahhhh that explains why I couldn't find em....thanks for the heads up...the45 rpm versions I purchased are insanely clear and quiet...sounds as if the band is in my room! I irgr any of u to pick these up...

Eric dolphy is my fav out of the four I purchased....Sonny Clarke is a close 2nd.

Now guess its time to subscribe before I regret it when these double in price.

I don't understand the need to subscribe. There is no price break and they don't sell out even close to instantly. And you don't have the option to skip something that may not be worth the cash. I guess taking the thinking out of it could be a plus?

No arguing with your logic. For myself, I prefer not having to remember to order the new releases each month, it's just easier to subscribe.

Yeah, they are fantastic.  Every single one has been one of the best pressings I have listened too.

I have Maiden Voyage, Midnight Blue and The Big Beat all on the way.

Yeah, they are fantastic.  Every single one has been one of the best pressings I have listened too.

I have Maiden Voyage, Midnight Blue and The Big Beat all on the way.

I ordered Midnight Blue from Music Direct some months ago, not knowing exactly what version I was purchasing, just that I enjoyed the album and I felt $34.99 was a fair price. I need to pick up the other two you mentioned, especially Maiden Voyage. I just streamed it last night, and while fantastic, I know Spotify doesn't come remotely close to doing it justice.

I'll just toss this here, but the RSD Miles Davis Prestige box is fantastic. It's so well made. Sounds fantastic. Sleeves are great. Pressings are quiet.

IMO it's an underrated era for Miles. There are must gets though. Highly recommended.

My favorite pick-up on RSD.  I also finally picked up the first box set at the same time.  Both are great.