PO: The National "trouble will find me"

I can see how people think they're boring, it's how i kind of felt at first. It's hard to explain, but I think once I learned the lyrics and subtleties I really grew to appreciate the passive aggressive tension in their music. It's like a calculated restraint that they build, and Matt went from the thing I was unsure about to my favorite part of the band. Maybe they're just not for everyone, I mean I don't get a lot of things people get hyped about on here either. To each his own

i think this is the most boring band around, but SO many people i respect like them. i'll give them another shot at some point.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I think they are sorta an acquired taste.  Their subtlety, their amazing use of space, their ghost notes, and the lyrics are incredible.  But it takes patience and attention to detail to enjoy... and that's not for everyone.

i wanna say it was "fake empire" that used to always play on the contemporary muzak station at the bank i used to work at. i didn't know who it was, but i knew i hated it. then my friend was like "you gotta hear these guys!" and put on that song. i thought he was fucking with me. now any time anyone tells me to listen to the national i just hear "the guy" who sings "that song". i hate how he sings. if someone wants to recommend their best song and best album, i'll give it a try. but i seriously just don't get it.

If you hate how he sings then you will never like the band and you will never get it. That is the whole point. His voice is front and center which is what I really appreciate about them. I discovered them when I created a Nick Cave channel on Pandora and "Cherry Tree" came on. "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is one of my favorites by them.