SLC Punk Sequel?

I think the point of the movie is: punk is cool when you are young, but not when you are old...or something.

something like this.

my husband spent a lot of his youth in SLC, listening to punk and doing things to be different in a largely mormon area and then he grew up to be an attorney so while his life wasn't exactly like anything in the movie, it's an interesting (albeit exaggerated) take.  i didn't take it too seriously, but i liked it.  i wouldn't mind seeing a sequel as long as it's either similar or better.

• 7 months later...

There is an indiegogo campaign for this now

As much as I would love to see this sequel, it doesn't look like it is going to get funded

The perks are kind of lame

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/slc-punk-2-punk-s-dead

Also, I think the point of the movie is that punk is not a hairstyle or a fashion statement. It is something that is a part of you. At the end of the movie Stevo becomes a lawyer, but for the specific purpose of recognizing that looking punk is not being punk. Punk is an attitude and by carrying that attitude with him into his career of being a lawyer he can "cause more damage inside of the system than outside of it." 

I don't think SLC Punk rips on punk or kids who try to be punk at all, but rather recognizes that as you get older you have to reconcile the youthful idea of punk with the adult world. It deals with the fact that the spirit of punk rock is more powerful and important than the mowhawks and dyed hair. It is a value system that can be carried with you throughout your life in order to provoke change. Isn't that what punk rock is all about anyway? Not liking something and fucking it up in an attempt to change it?

i'm guessing i like this movie so much because it was JUST a movie for me. i didn't try to read into it at all. i grew up not even listening to punk until long after i had even seen this movie (which i do now see as a fucked up situation), so there was that whole barrier in place that let me take it as just some guy telling his story. i would like to see what they do with the second one because i found the first one enjoyable to watch and i would like to see where they take it. 

i could see someone denying the statements of another blowing it up as a spot on portrayal of punk life in any respect, but it seems like it's a lot better if you take it all with a grain of salt. i'd pledge, but the perks aren't really that appealing. i have a feeling they will probably make it if they really want to. i think they are just trying to take advantage of the pledging wave.

SLC Punk was absolutely one of my favorite movies throughout high school. I got to chat with Matthew Lillard about it when he was on Warped promoting his movie adaptation for Fat Kid Rules The World (I was bummed that they didn't do the book justice at all, but that's a story for another day). I hope he has involvement with the sequel, I'm interested to see where it goes. 

Mainly, I just want them to perform a séance and bring back Heroin Bob

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

So this is on Netflix and is very strange. 

I watched it a while ago when it came out. I didn't know how to feel about it. You're right, it is strange. So odd to watch a sequel so long after the original, and especially when the original is a movie I grew up on, and loved. I lived in SLC while they filmed this oddly enough, and that's the only reason I heard of it back then. I was pretty reluctant that it was going to be any good, and I guess I was right. I still don't know what to thing of it. I don't think I enjoyed it.

37 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I watched it a while ago when it came out. I didn't know how to feel about it. You're right, it is strange. So odd to watch a sequel so long after the original, and especially when the original is a movie I grew up on, and loved. I lived in SLC while they filmed this oddly enough, and that's the only reason I heard of it back then. I was pretty reluctant that it was going to be any good, and I guess I was right. I still don't know what to thing of it. I don't think I enjoyed it.

It was very tacked onto the old movie and just overall was kinda dumb and boring. Whereas the first had some heart to it to, this just felt like a goofy road trip comedy movie from the 90's that's trying to be artsy-fartsy for the sake of it.

Also Devon Sawa got too handsome, Jeremy Renner looks the way I'd assume he would look now haha.

4 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

It was very tacked onto the old movie and just overall was kinda dumb and boring. Whereas the first had some heart to it to, this just felt like a goofy road trip comedy movie from the 90's that's trying to be artsy-fartsy for the sake of it.

Also Devon Sawa got too handsome, Jeremy Renner looks the way I'd assume he would look now haha.

The movie ironically needed more punk, and a lot more drugs. I think one of the reasons it really didn't hit home for me is cause the punk era of now vs. then is completely different. SLC Punk was a great gateway of punk music for me when I was 11. So I guess I just hold it in even higher regard, while SLC Punk 2 didn't teach me shit. Haha.

8 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

The movie ironically needed more punk

When they played NOFX and Rancid towards the beginning I was hopeful, then they ended up at a "punk show" where 40yr+ dudes were singing songs about trying to fuck everyone's girlfriends on a well lit stage with a full blown sound system ha.