Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

I give up. I'll have to live with the defect i guess.... I can't be bothered to contact them again to say that the replacement copy has the exact same problem as the original. 

I suspect they have shipped me a replacement copy that was not from a new pressing.

If you can't see the scratch, but your record is popping or skipping, it may just need a good cleaning.

Check out the cleaning thread; I don't remember if it's in this sub-board or over in the turntable one. Just a dry clean will not remove the debris that causes a skip like this.  

I understand that it is a new record and people expect them to play perfectly, but often there is residue from the pressing plant that can get packed into the grooves, so small you may not see it. It's sounding like that may in fact be your problem.

If you can't see the scratch, but your record is popping or skipping, it may just need a good cleaning.

Check out the cleaning thread; I don't remember if it's in this sub-board or over in the turntable one. Just a dry clean will not remove the debris that causes a skip like this.  

I understand that it is a new record and people expect them to play perfectly, but often there is residue from the pressing plant that can get packed into the grooves, so small you may not see it. It's sounding like that may in fact be your problem.

I know what your saying. 

I clean all my records before playing for the first time. The new ones are cleaned mostly to get rid of the static build up. And used ones i clean more vigorously as there is generally fingerprints or dust and hair that need to be washed out of them. 

The thing with this record is strange, it sounds exactly like a long scratch because the 'tick' is in the exact same position on every rotation, but there is no visible damage to the vinyl. 

I'll clean them both again really well before i play them next time and see if anything changes.

It seems strange that I've received two copies with the exact same defect.... if it's a pressing defect it should effect more copies......

I know what your saying. 

I clean all my records before playing for the first time. The new ones are cleaned mostly to get rid of the static build up. And used ones i clean more vigorously as there is generally fingerprints or dust and hair that need to be washed out of them. 

The thing with this record is strange, it sounds exactly like a long scratch because the 'tick' is in the exact same position on every rotation, but there is no visible damage to the vinyl. 

I'll clean them both again really well before i play them next time and see if anything changes.

It seems strange that I've received two copies with the exact same defect.... if it's a pressing defect it should effect more copies......

It's weird. My set from RSD has no issues. It's cool they are helping people out. But totally understand, I've bought new items that have had issues, guess it happens.

I know what your saying. 

When you say you're cleaning them, are you vacuum cleaning them?

I don't have a vacuum system so i'm using the cleaning solution with the cleaning brush technique. It's not perfect, but it's the best option for me at the moment.  I also use a carbon fibre brush before play. 

Right on. I don't have one yet either. That may make a difference if you can find someone. Who knows though.

It's definitely a great deal for the whole set, but $130 shipped would hardly be worth it if you only wanted a few...

I guess it depends what prices you can normally buy records for! Prices are pretty high in Australia, so even buying the box set for a few of the records doesn't seem so bad; I understand prices are generally a lot better in the US though.

Why not just pick up the box set and sell the albums you don't want?

Or have some nice trade bait. Honestly, every album is worth it (in my opinion, which totally matters). 

or, you could try selling these three,  which are also the first pressings of each. lol 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/102457-fs-3-records-from-my-cake-box-set/?hl=cake