Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

i definitely wouldnt have gotten up early to stand in line .... this is also against the t+cs  of the deal with RSD.. so i wonder if cake gets blacklisted because of it

Does a band really NEED RSD?  Plenty of bands/labels still put stuff out on RSD and it garners a good deal of attention regardless of being on the official list.

I fail to see how this is "misleading the fans". The box set was initially limited to 900. Yes.

But then guess what? The band got hip to seeing that a good number of fans got shafted in either not securing one on RSD or online sales and then getting fleeced by flippers on eBay. So they recognized this and made the decision to hook their fans up by pressing more.

I fail to see how this is misleading at all.

The sense of inflated entitlement of some people is astounding.

The right thing to do is to re-press this boxset and make it a different color vinyl.  That way nobody can complain that their boxset that they once thought was limited, is no longer limited anymore.  The fans who missed out on a boxset now have an option to purchase one, albeit slightly different.  Everyone's happy.

My issue with this is that 

a) they broke RSDs rules

B) it's their fault they didn't press more to begin with

c) they marketed this boxset themselves as being limited.  If it was always your intention was to press more copies, you should have made it an "RSD First" item like LCD Soundsystem did with their boxsets.

obviously the whole thing is a first world problems scenario... but their technically could be legal ramifications if some nutob is pissed that he spent 12 hours outside, or forked over $500 on ebay.. they'd have a pretty clear cut false advertising claim (probably have one already seeing as the 900 number was understated already).. so its an interesting situation from a legal standpoint

Im glad everyone has the opportunity to get a set. If i would have known i could get it cheaper, not on rsd and from the comfort of my couch i would have waited.

I still would have lined up just to avoid the chance of being poorly packed for shipping and split spines due to repeated drop-kicks by unhappy USPS workers.

Got my copy in the mail today from my eBay purchase. When this box set was first announced last year, I told myself I'd pay up to $250 for it. That's exactly how much a bought a copy for on eBay; I could have saved by waiting but I'm impatient and don't like uncertainty.

That being said this thing is GORGEOUS!!! Spinning Prolonging the Magic right now!

obviously the whole thing is a first world problems scenario... but their technically could be legal ramifications if some nutob is pissed that he spent 12 hours outside, or forked over $500 on ebay.. they'd have a pretty clear cut false advertising claim (probably have one already seeing as the 900 number was understated already).. so its an interesting situation from a legal standpoint

It really doesn't bother me other than just the whole "moral aspect" of the whole thing.  Just do what you say you're gonna do, it's really not that hard.  Don't lie to people just so you can help push your product.

i definitely wouldnt have gotten up early to stand in line .... this is also against the t+cs of the deal with RSD.. so i wonder if cake gets blacklisted because of it

The Flaming Lips did the same things with their Heady Nuggs set a few years ago and they've continued to release RSD records.

Nahh.. far as I can remember the band never said RSD was the only chance to get it, didn't advise people to buy from ebay, never even said what the set was limited to- but the website DID say 'coming soon' on their web page even after RSD.

Unless I'm forgetting something, there was no false advertising.

Seriously don't do that.  It's been like 24 hours.  They aren't going to magically ship out every single box along with any other orders for other bands overnight.

My point was that their customer service is responsive, and that any concerns about orders/order status will probably be handled quickly. I wasn't implying that anyone who recently ordered should mindlessly spam them looking for constant updates.

Seriously don't do that.  It's been like 24 hours.  They aren't going to magically ship out every single box along with any other orders for other bands overnight.

i agree with you... i'm not going to pester them. 

I don't like that they are not shipping in a proper order though. people who ordered much later in the day have rec'd shipped notices but others who ordered earlier are still waiting...

This thread, holy shit. Cakegate 2014.

Can't everyone just listen to their records and be happy?

LOL.  Yep this whole thing is one giant first world problem.  I am in the camp that though 900 was too few and I figured they would do a repress eventually, maybe a year or so from now.  I am surprised that they are announcing a 2nd run so quickly, but I am just happy that I will be able to grab one of these in the near future.

Guys --

Nowhere was it said this boxset was limited to 900 copies total. 900 was the number that would be available on RSD only. Cake made it clear on their mailing list that they would have additional copies available through their webstore -- they didn't give an exact number, just that they would have copies available in addition to the 900 that were sold through record stores on RSD.

Why is this rumor getting so out of hand? Why are people actually upset about any of this? Why hasn't my copy shipped yet? Should I email the webstore and then update you all on whether or not my order has been marked as "shipped" or if it's still labeled "ready to ship?"

Guys --

Nowhere was it said this boxset was limited to 900 copies total. 900 was the number that would be available on RSD only. Cake made it clear on their mailing list that they would have additional copies available through their webstore -- they didn't give an exact number, just that they would have copies available in addition to the 900 that were sold through record stores on RSD.

Why is this rumor getting so out of hand? Why are people actually upset about any of this? Why hasn't my copy shipped yet? Should I email the webstore and then update you all on whether or not my order has been marked as "shipped" or if it's still labeled "ready to ship?"

Pretty sure this was billed as RSD exclusive /900. Not worried about it enough to check. Either way, deal with it.

Pretty sure this was billed as RSD exclusive /900. Not worried about it enough to check. Either way, deal with it.

Pretty sure... I know you're wrong. Everyone who's been a subscriber to the Cake mailing list longer than a week can also confirm that you are wrong.

When you email the webstore asking for your tracking number, can you check on mine, too? Thank you.

Pretty sure... I know you're wrong. Everyone who's been a subscriber to the Cake mailing list longer than a week can also confirm that you are wrong.

When you email the webstore asking for your tracking number, can you check on mine, too? Thank you.

I followed up my claim on the RSD website and it was indeed listed as "RSD Limited/Regional Focus".  I commend you for your loyalty to Cake and their mailing list.  I don't care enough about them to feel humbled by your extreme Cake knowledge.  Congrats though, you won this time.