Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

Hey all!  So, unfortunately I missed out on RSD and on their website, but I decided to buy a copy off ebay because Cake is in my top 3 bands of all time, and I wanted this badly.  Felt a little guilty about overpaying (paid $250 shipped), but it's only money and I really wanted this. 

Well, just got it today, opened the box, and there is a ninth album in mine!  Think this is a legit signed copy of Showroom?  I am playing it now, and it is indeed Showroom of Compassion.  Thoughts?  Here is a picture of it:

ccc0ff28_l.jpeg

Hey all! So, unfortunately I missed out on RSD and on their website, but I decided to buy a copy off ebay because Cake is in my top 3 bands of all time, and I wanted this badly. Felt a little guilty about overpaying (paid $250 shipped), but it's only money and I really wanted this.

Well, just got it today, opened the box, and there is a ninth album in mine! Think this is a legit signed copy of Showroom? I am playing it now, and it is indeed Showroom of Compassion. Thoughts? Here is a picture of it:

ccc0ff28_l.jpeg

You got one of the test press boxes. Congrats!

Hey all! So, unfortunately I missed out on RSD and on their website, but I decided to buy a copy off ebay because Cake is in my top 3 bands of all time, and I wanted this badly. Felt a little guilty about overpaying (paid $250 shipped), but it's only money and I really wanted this.

Well, just got it today, opened the box, and there is a ninth album in mine! Think this is a legit signed copy of Showroom? I am playing it now, and it is indeed Showroom of Compassion. Thoughts? Here is a picture of it:

ccc0ff28_l.jpeg

Nah, the guy you bought it from is just fucking with you. He pressed that one copy himself and then faked all the signatures. Not legit, just throw it out.

Hey all!  So, unfortunately I missed out on RSD and on their website, but I decided to buy a copy off ebay because Cake is in my top 3 bands of all time, and I wanted this badly.  Felt a little guilty about overpaying (paid $250 shipped), but it's only money and I really wanted this. 

Well, just got it today, opened the box, and there is a ninth album in mine!  Think this is a legit signed copy of Showroom?  I am playing it now, and it is indeed Showroom of Compassion.  Thoughts?  Here is a picture of it:

ccc0ff28_l.jpeg

You lucky son of a gun!!

Congrats!

ccc0ff28_l.jpeg

Congrats!  

Nah, the guy you bought it from is just fucking with you. He pressed that one copy himself and then faked all the signatures. Not legit, just throw it out.

Hey now, no need to be snarky :)  I don't buy a ton a vinyl so this is something new to me.

Well, feeling better about overpaying now! :)  Any idea how many of these sets are out there with this 9th autographed album in it?

Hey now, no need to be snarky :)  I don't buy a ton a vinyl so this is something new to me.

Well, feeling better about overpaying now! :)  Any idea how many of these sets are out there with this 9th autographed albums in it?

I believe 5 for each album for a total of 40 boxes with one.

Sigh...check out this reply to FB post announcing more will be available...

"as a collector, if you purchased this believing it was an edition limited to 900 copies, isn't this a bit misleading?"

Unreal. Not like you'd actually want the set because of the music, regardless of how many were pressed.

If Cake never said "limited to 900", these represses wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be a thing. It's the fact that folks made decisions based on that information (camping in line, overpaying, buying a set they may have been on the fence about due to scarcity), and are seeing it all walked back less than a week later. 

It's great that Cake is accommodating their fans, but people are entitled to be annoyed given that this was advertised as a RSD-exclusive, limited production run.

Cake got in touch with me about my issue with Motorcade and are making it right.  Thanks Cake.

Also, even though I waited in line for 8 hours (because it was limited to 900), I thought they were going to release more to the fans (based on the language of their February stay tuned email) but still waited in line to be sure I got one.  Hence standing in line over night.  I don't care that I won't have 1/900 or 1/1800 and will likely have 1/5,000 -- I just will be happy to have these remastered albums on vinyl. (That was the only goal originally - get the albums on vinyl.)  I'd never sell them, so the limited run is immaterial to me.

If Cake never said "limited to 900", these represses wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be a thing. It's the fact that folks made decisions based on that information (camping in line, overpaying, buying a set they may have been on the fence about due to scarcity), and are seeing it all walked back less than a week later. 

It's great that Cake is accommodating their fans, but people are entitled to be annoyed given that this was advertised as a RSD-exclusive, limited production run.

I feel better since I lucked out and get a test pressing, but quite honestly I have to agree.  Because I thought it was a limited run, I tried to get a "decent" deal on ebay...now, if I had known, I could have gotten it for half of what I paid.  Oh well...

I was able to get my set yesterday thanks to the board here and the advance notice on the link. I am on the cake mailing list but my email about the sale hit my inbox a couple hours after the set sold out.

I am glad to see that this is getting a repress for those that missed out. I understand we all collect records for different reasons and for some the exclusivity is a draw. For me I just like having the music in a format I get the most joy playing it from. Before these box sets I could not get  some of these albums without paying insane prices for them. I am happy that everyone has a chance to own them now if they want to listen to them. I am all for exclusive colorways or other things that cater to the collectors. It does bother me though to see releases of music in intentionally limited forms when there is no other way to get that music. It's really frustrating when I want to get something because I just want to hear it and can't because they made it something for collectors and only pressed 1000 of  them but 10x's that many people want to buy it.

If I'm right, you can still get Live at The Crystal Ballroom, which if you are a Cake fan, is awesome and the set list is like a greatest hits record.  That is supposed to be "limited", so at least all the peeps that got nothing can still get something!

Why have I seen multiple people call it the Crystal Ballroom? Crystal Ballroom is in Portland, not Sacramento. That's the Crystal Palace...

I feel better since I lucked out and get a test pressing, but quite honestly I have to agree.  Because I thought it was a limited run, I tried to get a "decent" deal on ebay...now, if I had known, I could have gotten it for half of what I paid.  Oh well...

Is the Test Pressing in anything special? Labeled? Etc. Just curious my friend. 

I do not personally care either way, but if they want to keep the RSD crowd happy they could repress on black or different colors.

I think this would be the fair thing to do.  Re-press on black vinyl.  Still get the set on vinyl, but makes the RSD set a little more special.

If I had not bought my copy on ebay I would have bought the black vinyl set...