Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

If they are smart they just do a black repressing like others have mentioned and that way pretty much everyone will be happy. Their website still shows it as "Limited". Over the past few years that word's value has deteriorated. To keep making pressings of the identical album to me shouldn't be considered limited. I feel if you are going to advertise that (which they did) then you should disclose the pressing details and keep them at that. But I see bands do it all of the time. I suppose maybe they didn't realize the demand would be so high for this. But maybe they did. Saying that it was "limited" gets a lot of people to make a rush judgement and even possibly spend $$ they can't really afford right then and there because they think that this is their 1 chance to own it. Where if they knew if would be available later (the LCD box was this way correct?) they could just hold off and get it whenever they'd like.

Regardless, I got one yesterday and I can still pay my rent so I don't really care. But I do feel bad for the people who weren't flippers who waited in line for hours or spent crazy amounts on ebay when apparently none of that was needed.

If they are smart they just do a black repressing like others have mentioned and that way pretty much everyone will be happy. Their website still shows it as "Limited". Over the past few years that word's value has deteriorated.

I already mentioned this, but even just a black pressing is going to irritate anyone who thinks they need to variant collect and doesn't want to spend that kind of money again. So there will still be some chunk of fans that aren't happy.  Also, "limited" basically means "not unlimited", so as long as they don't repress these boxes until the end of time it is still "limited".

Also, "limited" basically means "not unlimited", so as long as they don't repress these boxes until the end of time it is still "limited".

That is my problem with the phrase and why I think the industry needs a stricter definition placed on it. You could press 1 million copies of this box and then press 1 million more and it is still "limited" because an infinite number weren't pressed. 

And dantheriver is right. who gives the "RECORD STORE DAY LIMITED RUN/REGIONAL FOCUS RELEASES" info to the RSD people? It doesn't even come close to fitting that category for multiple reasons. So people should really be upset with them if anything.

At the end of the day, no one will ever be happy when it comes to this shit or any other fuckin' record that ever comes out. 

Which is why the band should just handle it however they want.  I can't believe there are people out there that have a problem with a band making their music available to the people that want it.  

Cake is doing this specifically to prevent profiteers from flipping their box sets on eBay (which I am fairly certain is perceived as the most heinous act possible on this forum), yet people still complain. 

Which is why the band should just handle it however they want.  I can't believe there are people out there that have a problem with a band making their music available to the people that want it.  

Cake is doing this specifically to prevent profiteers from flipping their box sets on eBay (which I am fairly certain is perceived as the most heinous act possible on this forum), yet people still complain. 

And that's what I was trying to put across but noooooo...band is still a bunch of assholes for "misleading fans" according to the entitled über-fans and über-collectors of the vinylz. 

1.  A lot of the grumbling has to do less with the product itself and more with the experience of owning the product.  More copies doesn't change their physical box set but it does change the context of the set and their personal experience, which in turn changes the meaning.  It'd be interesting to hear about whether a band is ethically and/or legally responsible for delivering a specific experience or meaning to it's fans through product.

2.  I've heard a lot of parties make comments that suggest they 'earned' the privilege of not having the box set made more available because they stood in line or did some digging/extra work.  I think this is pretty flawed and only looks at the situation from one's own narrow perspective.  Plenty of people waited in line for hours and didn't get the box set.  I'm sure people walked into a slow store and easily grabbed the box set without a fight.  I'd argue that luck is more of a factor in why anyone was able to receive their box set from a physical store on RSD than effort.  If you lived far from a store that had a copy, you could have waited in line for 4 days or stood on one leg and sang the Animaniacs capitals song...your effort wouldn't have produced the privilege to own a Cake box set.  It was mostly the fortune of being near a shop and then camping.

3.  People who bought on eBay have to accept that they crossed the ethical picket line and it is going to seem very silly to everyone if you decide to cross back over and join the angry Cake fans who didn't go looking for flipped product.  

4.  There are a lot of interesting collector pet peeves about color, numbering, etc. that I think are totally valid to have as serious collectors but I'm not sure every release has to abide by those preferences.  If Cake wanted to release a serious collector's only release, they shouldn't put it out on RSD or on their site.  They should release tickets through some darkweb IRC channel so that civilians, like myself and most Cake fans, don't even get the privilege of knowing the release exists!  :P

5.  The "bathed in tears" post is great.

6.  LOL at Cake fans who want the band to fix their marital spats over the use of money to buy the set or other interpersonal personal problems that have nothing to do with this release or Cake.

7.  My last thought is that it's kind of sad that an experience as wild as being a crazy dude or lady camping out on Record Store Day 2014, an experience and activity that carries its own priceless value and uniqueness and scarcity (it can never be replicated...like ever), can become so easily invalidated or tarnished...and by an action whose intent is so well meaning.  Some claim that this is a well orchestrated conspiracy by the band but unless there is some proof of an inefficient, expensive, time-consuming, low reward plan to screw over strangers, I have to look at it as a positive move to make their fans happy.  

That experience being so easily ruined makes me think that some parties aren't looking at their pretty awesome experience at RSD as a self-fulfilling moment and qualifying it as only being 'worth' it if there is some illusion of an exclusive or element.  That kind of sucks if that is how experiences work.  I personally wish I could have gone to RSD and participated in the hobo line lifestyle and picked up something cool.  Instead I woke up late and went to a store at 3pm and got the Deer Tick and Chad VanGaalen 7' that no one cares about.  Don't take that experience for granted.  It's not all about the t-shirt or material token you get at the end (or how rare the token is).