Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

LOL do I have a great story! So I ordered Bad Moon Rising by Sonic Youth from a seller on Amazon who lives in Iowa (I live about 3 hours away in Illinois). They went to ship it out on January 19th. After 10 days without it moving forward from "Electronic Shipping Info. Received," I asked him what was up, so he called his post office and they found the package in the back and it was not shipped out. Fast forward to yesterday, February 3rd, it says it was delivered to someone in Lake Forest, IL, zip code being 60045. My zip code is 60046. I called them, they found the package, and it was finally delivered to me today, after 17 days. When I got the package, it was clear to me that the USPS had opened it up, re-taped it in a different place, and even worse: I ordered a still sealed record, and the USPS tore that open (which I could obviously tell from the plastic being mangled, removed from the record, in the bottom of the box), took out the record, and had to verify that it was, indeed, media. Couple dings on the jacket but thankfully the record is fine. I hate the USPS.

Wow you were quite lucky!

I bought the last first press of These Roots Grow Deep from Calculator, beautiful record, and the friggin mailman threw it over the gate, i mean I'm sure he was trying to keep it safe, but it was marked fragile and the record shattered. I got a 2nd press copy for free from them at a show I went to later in the month, but god was that a bummer. I tried supergluing it back together because I saw a video where it worked, but my record was too shattered to do much with. The mailman also stuff LPs halfway in my mailbox? Like it obviously doesn't fit, and they used to get out of their damn truck things and walk the 5 feet to neatly place it against my house, but they've been stuffing shit in and thankfully it's fairly cold or else that shit would get warped. I should probably post a sign or something on my mailbox but seriously people use ups and fedex more often because the good old USPS is just god damn unreliable. 

I bought the last first press of These Roots Grow Deep from Calculator, beautiful record, and the friggin mailman threw it over the gate, i mean I'm sure he was trying to keep it safe, but it was marked fragile and the record shattered. I got a 2nd press copy for free from them at a show I went to later in the month, but god was that a bummer. I tried supergluing it back together because I saw a video where it worked, but my record was too shattered to do much with. The mailman also stuff LPs halfway in my mailbox? Like it obviously doesn't fit, and they used to get out of their damn truck things and walk the 5 feet to neatly place it against my house, but they've been stuffing shit in and thankfully it's fairly cold or else that shit would get warped. I should probably post a sign or something on my mailbox but seriously people use ups and fedex more often because the good old USPS is just god damn unreliable.

If your mail carrier is actually doing this, call your post office and ask to speak to the postmaster about it. I'm a mail carrier and when I hear of other carriers doing absurd things like this, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If you call and tell the postmaster what your carrier is doing then this should stop.

Also, fun fact that not a lot of people know is that USPS takes something like 30% of all FedEx and UPS packages.

Also, do you know for a fact that they "threw it over the gate" because 99% of the times that stuff gets damaged, it happens in the sorting centers. I would think if you saw him throw it that you would come outside and be like "hey idiot, don't throw my packages" haha

It's a high gate with no way to put it under or through the side gently, so I mean unless he climbed over to set it down, I'm just inferring that he dropped it over. Hey I could be wrong though. I left a note asking them to not throw things over and that hasn't happened anymore, they just stuff shit in my mailbox half way in haha.

If your mail carrier is actually doing this, call your post office and ask to speak to the postmaster about it. I'm a mail carrier and when I hear of other carriers doing absurd things like this, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If you call and tell the postmaster what your carrier is doing then this should stop.

Also, fun fact that not a lot of people know is that USPS takes something like 30% of all FedEx and UPS packages.

Somewhat unrelated, but what is the possibility of a 7 inch mailer being stuck at the bottom of one of those drop off boxes for the passed 7 months? One of the rounded top blue ones bolted to the ground.

Somewhat unrelated, but what is the possibility of a 7 inch mailer being stuck at the bottom of one of those drop off boxes for the passed 7 months? One of the rounded top blue ones bolted to the ground.

7 months and no package? Oh shit, don't those open from the bottom though? 

7 months and no package? Oh shit, don't those open from the bottom though? 

I have no idea how they open. They're the ones with four feet. Probably about 6 inches of space between the bottom of the box and the concrete it's bolted to.

In June or July I dropped off a package in one, and it never got scanned in and the tracking was never updated.

I have no idea how they open. They're the ones with four feet. Probably about 6 inches of space between the bottom of the box and the concrete it's bolted to.

In June or July I dropped off a package in one, and it never got scanned in and the tracking was never updated.

I think there's like a door that opens though, I mean the odds of them never finding it are probably nil. Must be stolen or lost in transition. That's a bummer. So much for tracking. 

I think they're supposed to scan the packages when they get them, so I have no idea if the mail truck driver picked it up or not. The odds of it being stolen from the box seems pretty low.

Well it could've been left somewhere or dropped and taken I mean. I work as a shipping clerk selling books and one time the USPS mailman picked up our orders and we sell hundreds of dollars of product a week and he usualy puts them outside and drives around to pick them up with his truck, but this one time left ALL of the packages outside, and simply forgot them. Thank god for the UPS man letting us know that our packages were just sitting on the curb on the street. 

Last month I sold an Apple TV on Amazon for my brother. The buyer was at a military base in Germany. I shipped it off on the 10th, and I got a message from the buyer saying they haven't  received it yet. They told me the last item they ordered from the states took 10 days. I checked the tracking number and the only entry it has was that it left the post office on the 11th. I have limited experience shipping international, and I've never had a package get lost in the mail before. I sent the buyer an email telling them all the info I know, and told them it might have been delayed because of all the snowstorms lately. What else can I/should I do?

Last month I sold an Apple TV on Amazon for my brother. The buyer was at a military base in Germany. I shipped it off on the 10th, and I got a message from the buyer saying they haven't  received it yet. They told me the last item they ordered from the states took 10 days. I checked the tracking number and the only entry it has was that it left the post office on the 11th. I have limited experience shipping international, and I've never had a package get lost in the mail before. I sent the buyer an email telling them all the info I know, and told them it might have been delayed because of all the snowstorms lately. What else can I/should I do?B

Talk to the post office you sent it from. Call or show up in person.

I live in Western New York and I have to be patient with the packages I'm expecting lately, I realize that if it's not possible for my shipment to get here in a timely fashion through white-outs and unsavory driving/flying conditions, I simply have to wait it out.

But it should never take over a month. There's a problem somewhere.

I think they're supposed to scan the packages when they get them, so I have no idea if the mail truck driver picked it up or not. The odds of it being stolen from the box seems pretty low.

Yeah any package we pick up, we are supposed to do a scan on it so you know that we picked it up.

Just got back from my local post office where I dropped off seven packages with preprinted eBay labels. When I asked for the receipt of acceptance, the clerk (she is the snotty one) glared at me and said that when they have to scan each one, "it ties up the line."

Mind you they were all PREPRINTED and only had to be weighed/scanned. It took her less than a minute. Meanwhile all the other clerks were helping other patrons tape packages, fill out forms, etc the entire durations of my wait in ine (~5 min) and I get scolded asking for a receipt.

Ah, USPS....

Just got back from my local post office where I dropped off seven packages with preprinted eBay labels. When I asked for the receipt of acceptance, the clerk (she is the snotty one) glared at me and said that when they have to scan each one, "it ties up the line."

Mind you they were all PREPRINTED and only had to be weighed/scanned. It took her less than a minute. Meanwhile all the other clerks were helping other patrons tape packages, fill out forms, etc the entire durations of my wait in ine (~5 min) and I get scolded asking for a receipt.

Ah, USPS....

Haha, yep that's how it goes.  If I sell anything that isn't fragile then the bin in the lobby is always my friend.

fuckin usps didnt deliver today because of snow and we only got like 7" so far. and i've been waiting all day for my new stylus.

so much for their motto: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor fucking apocalypse stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Yea, they promise the moon but don't deliver (pun intended)  :lol: