Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I just read like 15 pages of this thread, but I just got back from a music festival so my brain is pretty fried. I apologize if I'm stupid.

My girlfriend got me a pro-ject debut carbon as a gift, so now I'm in the process of piecing the rest of my setup together. I'm checking out amps now, and it looks like Marantz pm6004 integrated amp is a popular choice for noobs and I found it for 450 on Amazon. This would be a good choice, yes? I read that you should never put the tt and the amp on the same table, correct? Just clarifying because I keep seeing pictures of people who put them on the same piece.

Speaking of furniture, what types of stands do you guys use for your setup? I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on something that would look sweet.

I'm still not too sure what speakers I should go with. Will I be able to use these speakers as surround sound for my tv? Also, I should be able to hook up my computer to the 6004 and play music also, correct?

ALSO:
Just to clarify, I can plug in my tt right to the 6004, then the speakers to the 6004, and that's all I need. right?

I read that you should never put the tt and the amp on the same table, correct? Just clarifying because I keep seeing pictures of people who put them on the same piece.

You can put them on the same table, just don't stack them (the turntable on top of the amplifier). Putting speakers on the same surface as the turntable is a big no no though.

Speaking of furniture, what types of stands do you guys use for your setup? I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on something that would look sweet.

Any sturdy piece of furniture will work. The most important part are the speaker stands. You should set at least $100 aside for them.

I'm still not too sure what speakers I should go with. Will I be able to use these speakers as surround sound for my tv?

Choosing the right speakers depends on your budget and the size of your listening room. You'll be able to use them with your TV, but not as "surround sound". If you want that you need a surround receiver and a set of at least 5 speakers. But it will cost at least four times as much to get the same level of sound quality.

Also, I should be able to hook up my computer to the 6004 and play music also, correct?

ALSO:

Just to clarify, I can plug in my tt right to the 6004, then the speakers to the 6004, and that's all I need. right?

Yes and yes.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been searching stuff about speakers, but before I make the purchase I just wanted to clarify a few more things. So I'm stuck in a small apartment for about another year. My living room is 125 square feet. I was thinking about starting with these http://www.klipsch.com/rb-61-ii-bookshelf-speakers-pair . The pm6004 says " Support for 5 line inputs and 2 line outputs" this means that I can have two sets of speakers connected to it, right? I want to make sure that the speakers I buy can be built upon later once I end up in a bigger place.

Also, is there a book or anything that I could read about getting into hifi? I have friends with radio shack not so great systems, so I don't really have anyone who can help me out in person. I look forward to listening to the yardbirds on vinyl soon!

The pm6004 says " Support for 5 line inputs and 2 line outputs" this means that I can have two sets of speakers connected to it, right?

Yes this is right. In the front of the amp, you can choose to have the first or second set on only, or you can have both sets on at the same time. I turn both off when I go into headphone mode to not disturb anyone else late at night.

Also, is there a book or anything that I could read about getting into hifi? I have friends with radio shack not so great systems, so I don't really have anyone who can help me out in person. I look forward to listening to the yardbirds on vinyl soon!

A book is a good reference/start point and Amazon stocks quite a few but as you get more experienced you will find most of the info is available for free on the internet, it just takes time and a lot of searching.

I searched hifi in Amazon books and quite a few came up, I haven't read any so wouldn't want to recommend a particular one but if anyone can recommend any it could be a useful addition to this thread.

So, I'm finally buying a Spin Clean system on Friday and new inner sleeves for all of my records, specifically the MoFi knock-off Sleeve City ones. After I deep clean all of my records, I still need a new dry cleaning method. What do you guys use? Those carbon fiber brushes have left bristles in my records (hopefully the Spin Clean takes 'em out), so I need a new way to get excess surface dust off before each play. I read the "how to clean your records" post, but all I've really seen is people talking about how they wet clean them. Anybody have any luck with specific cloths or brushes?

The Spin Clean comes (should) with two rags made for drying and instructions on how to properly use it, which is just basically to wipe in a clockwise motion over the record. After I use mine I let them air dry for a couple minutes then I use my Discwasher brush (late 70s to early 80s version not the new one) for between plays. It does an awesome job at picking up surface dust and hairs and it comes with a mini brush to take any excess dust off of it. I had to grab the brush off of eBay. I want to say I got mine for $30. The new version will leave a line of dust without actually picking it up. I am waiting for more inner sleeves to come in the mail to continue cleaning more records, Spin Clean is fun to use lol.

FYI, the older discwasher is a wet cleaning solution, it is not made to be used as a dry brush (according to the owners manual) if that's what you guys are talking about. I've seen records actually get a lot of hairline scratches from using one of those as a dry brush.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away from Crosley

Stay away from Ion

Stay away from Stanton

Stay away from Audio Technica (at least the LP60 model)

Stay away from anything that looks like a Crosley, Ion, Stanton, Numark, AT LP60 or a combination of any of the above. A “USB” in the name is usually also a big giveaway, though Pro-Ject does make such a model, for some reason.

Sorry if somebody already added this, but you can add the Denon DP-29F to that list. Awful piece of junk, with zero adjustments, 3.5g tracking force, and no arm lift lever. Grabbing the pickup is also really difficult, it's a TT designed to put the record, hit start and play it from start to finish. Which is what you can expect from a $100 turntable.

You people suck at impulse shopping.  As pointed out above, the Def Tech SM350s are back up to $300,  You didn't mention budget, so I will assume you are extremely wealthy.  Perhaps use your considerable financial clout to get the  Epos Epic 2's for $400 instead.

Well the SM350 are $180 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000TD6REQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Saw em for the price below.

Still a solid deal.

Thanks.