Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All, I've been lurking on this forum for about a week, mostly due to this thread. Just wanted to jump in and say thanks to Slinch for putting together such a thorough beginner's guide. I've been wanting to get back into collecting and listening to vinyl for a while now, but found the whole process of picking out equipment kind of intimidating. My girlfriend bought me a Crosley portable (I know) a few years ago, and that got me buying some records here and there, but I've known for a while that I would need to do a serious upgrade if I wanted to really get the most out of the hobby. 

After carefully researching all of the suggestions on this thread and some other websites, and doing a lot of hemming and hawing over how much I was really willing to spend at the moment, and where I should prioritize my spending, I finally pulled the trigger today. I ended up going with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, a Marantz PM6005, and a pair of Sennheiser HD598 headphones. I already own a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 30s that I'm hoping will get the job done for the time being, until I settle on some better speakers. I just bought a house about 6 months ago, and I haven't quite figured out where I'm going to set my system up, so I don't want to commit to a set of speakers until I know what size room I'm going to need to fill. It will most likely be my living room, which is about 400 sq ft., with hardwood floors, flat 8ft. ceilings, and a somewhat open layout in regards to the rest of the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get yourself properly set up in your house, let it all bed in, get used to the sound your system makes and then find somewhere you can listen to other equipment before you make an decisions.

Your Polk's are going to be a bit small for that room though but they will get you going, just don't sit too far away from them.

Thanks for the reply. I measured my living room today, and it's actually smaller than I estimated -- about 230sq ft., so I'm thinking my Monitor 30s will be ok for the time being. I do plan on buying some stands for them, though; right now they're too close to each other.

The rest of my stuff is being delivered today, and I'm looking forward to getting it all set up. Would you say I should also hold off on getting a powered subwoofer for now?

Polk should give details of the ideal distance from each other and from walls for your speakers and also room dimension limits etc so it might be worth going to their website and downloading the manual for your speakers or even dropping them a line.

Yes stands are a worthwhile addition and its always worth remembering that a properly set up average system will probably sound better than a badly set up expensive system because the basics do matter.

I got lucky & found two turntables at a thrift store. Got a Sanyo TPXIS for $10 and just recently a Kenwood KD-2RR for $15. I've been using the Sanyo for about 4 months now with no problems, didn't have to replace anything - just had to buy a phono preamp (Behringer PP400). There's an Audio Technica cartridge on the Sanyo. I tested the Kenwood and it works fine, but have no desire to use it because there isn't a pitch control. I don't have enough room to set two up either. But it's still nice to find vintage equipment in working condition.

I should prepare myself for the day my needle breaks. What would be a good replacement cartridge? 

If anyone can help me out with this, however: does the RP1 allow you to edit the speed of the turntable?

I'm assuming it must, but I have no clue.

Do you mean just changing between 33 1/3 and 45, or fine tune it like on DJ tables?

You can change between the two speeds, but it's not as easy as just pressing a button. You have to lift up the platter and manually move the belt to a different position on the pulley. 

Fine tuning isn't there, but it's also unnecessary as these things are made to be as accurate as possible.

Do you mean just changing between 33 1/3 and 45, or fine tune it like on DJ tables?

You can change between the two speeds, but it's not as easy as just pressing a button. You have to lift up the platter and manually move the belt to a different position on the pulley.

Fine tuning isn't there, but it's also unnecessary as these things are made to be as accurate as possible.

Yeah, the RPM speed. Well, while it sounds like more of a hassle, it should be tons better than what I currently have.

Thanks!

Decisions, decisions...

I'm also pretty torn on choosing the right amplifier.

It's all just gibberish when I'm trying to understand the differences between a preamp and amplifier.

Integrated amplifiers are pretty much a preamp that has equalizer settings??

I can't wrap my head around this.

This is stressing me out, haha.

Sorry for all the trouble guys. I don't know jack when it comes to all this.

I should, but I just thought you buy a turntable and play a record.

I do appreciate the help and if possible, a dumbed down explanation. Lol.

Pretty much what Ive been thinking so far to purchase is:

- Rega RP1 / Pro-Ject Debut

- Yamaha A-S300

- Pioneer SP BS22 LR

Personally, I'd go for a Debut Carbon DC at $450. They're pretty equal with the RP1 though, so it's hard to miss, fut for me it has a slight edge.

However, if you're comfortable with buying used, definitely consider researching the second and market a bit. You can get so much more for the same price.

As for what an integrated amplifier is, check the amplification section on the first page.

And regarding amp and speakers, again, buying used in that price range would be my first advice.

Or finding a nice RL copy of Zep II.

Hunting down the best pressings make it even more fun $$$$$$$$

I have a red label copy of Led Zeppelin II that I am playing now. The cover says it was made in Mexico for Polydor S.A. Everything is in English on the records label except for Lado A and Lado B.

The album is in surprisingly good shape but the cover didn't make the journey so well. It was my brothers who passed away in 1978. Not sure how he got a copy of the Mexican release unless it was when he was in the Navy and was frequently in California.

The cover doesn't open like the later releases did to expose what I always thought was a monument in tribute of the band.

Current setup:

Pro-ject Carbon Debut

Sherwood RX-4109

Definitive Technology 350's

Moving into a new house, so I would like to upgrade my shit amp. The Sherwood powers off when you turn the volume up too much, which doesn't make sense.  It's rated as 8 ohms, as are the 350's, and my cable connections are all solid.  Can't figure that out. (Help?)

But anyways, looking into an upgraded amp first, may eventually get some floor-standing speakers next. Would like something that can bring some noise, as I now have plenty of room.  Probably looking at a basement setup.  Anyone have a solid, powerful 2-channel amp they recommend at or under $500?

Looking at the Yamaha A-S500 and the Marantz PM6005 so far, based off of comments in this thread.

My local record shop has an NAD 2600 for $150. Should I snag it? Its tough finding any specs online so i feel clueless on it. Thanks!

Edit: think I got it answered. Talked to the guy working and was honest enough to say that the 2600s had some issues and suggested I avoid unless I find a 2600a or 2700. Open to any other feedback though!

• 2 weeks later...