Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

You said a preamp only brings the signal to line level.  For the purpose of education, I thought someone needed to be pedantic and explain the rest. As I suspected, some people did learn from it.

No, I said a preamp brings the signal to line level.  Which is true.  

the application of RIAA equalization wasn't relevant and, some cases, false as there are flat phono preamps.  

Sorry, I couldn't find a Wikipedia article to reference.

I'm definitely going to check the other tables you recommended but is the Espirit the better option as opposed to the rpm1? Every time i try to compare i just get overwhelmed or i forget and i don't have much free time to really sit down and do research. I've been working 12 hour days like today right now lol. (Pizzeria life)

You can take others advice and read reviews but fundamentally you need to listen to this stuff to be sure

Please don't buy new out of fear.

As many people have suggested, well cared for used or discounted items can be found everywhere. One great thing about the upper entry level stuff is the market is soft, and people are constantly upgrading from it, and most people that love audio love to share that love with others getting interested in higher end equipment and great sound, so they offer great prices and are willing to deal with someone who generally shows a budding interest. Buy smart, but most defining rely buy used or B-stock items.

Please don't buy new out of fear.

As many people have suggested, well cared for used or discounted items can be found everywhere. One great thing about the upper entry level stuff is the market is soft, and people are constantly upgrading from it, and most people that love audio love to share that love with others getting interested in higher end equipment and great sound, so they offer great prices and are willing to deal with someone who generally shows a budding interest. Buy smart, but most defining rely buy used or B-stock items.

Sage advice indeed. And at the top end if someone spent a lot of money on something new the chances are they are going to look after it because of the initial monetary outlay regardless of it's second hand value.

There are some absolute bargains around at the top end of the hifi tree if you avoid the obvious over marketed names, you might still be spending a lot but you will be getting a hell of a lot for your money.

$1500 is a good budget.  

In fact, if you aren't afraid of going the used route there is a VPI Scout on ebay for $1000 right now.  It does not come with a cart but you could use the $500 to put a good cart on it and be very happy for a long time.

Actually, there is a Ortofon 2m Black on Audiogon for $500 right now as well.  

If you don't want to go the used route, then any of the manufacturers you mentioned put out a good product and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking for going from a M97xE Cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Red. Will this be an upgrade, or around the same level? I have a AT-PL120. Also if I buy one premounted to a headhsell, (like this one) will it fit my table?

I thought it would help with the cartridge loading someone has told me about, but he said it wouldn't. Im using a Sansui receiver at the moment and want to eventually replace it in steps. First a pre-amp, then an amp. Although the Sansui is supposed to be decent and is for me, I'd like something more simple and smaller and of course hopefully better in the end.