Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

What's wrong with straight? Does it not catch the groove right?

So long as the head shell is angled, nothing. If the arm and head shell are straight, like some of the stanton DJ tables, the tracking angle won't be correct. Would make sound quality suffer, and potentially damage records from mistracking. 

So long as the head shell is angled, nothing. If the arm and head shell are straight, like some of the stanton DJ tables, the tracking angle won't be correct. Would make sound quality suffer, and potentially damage records from mistracking. 

To some extent they are worse than a Crosley that is tracking properly because at least the Crosley has the cartridge somewhere near the correct tracking angle, but if you can find an angled bayonet fitting headshell the Stanton is easier to make right.

You can of course angle the cartridge in the headshell but you need a shell with pretty long slots to get close and it's still difficult to get it right and you also restrict the forward and back range you have to set the correct overhang.

You people are nuts.  You don't just install a cartridge and line it straight with the head.  You adjust the cartridge to an angle using a protractor. Therefore, you don't necessarily need the arm or the head to be angled.  This is turn even with the Stanton.  Look at picture and note that the cart is mounted on an angle.  This is infinitely better than a Crosley.

5175JHGSRZL.jpg

Have you tried putting one of those on a protractor then trying to get the correct overhang? or even two point alignment? They are just wrong on every level.

When all of these tables are made they use the same basic Sl1200 geometry and then balls it up with a straight headshell. All you need to do though is fit one of the angled ones and hey presto it's perfect and a good table.

I'm no fan of the Crosley and was being a tad sarcastic, I think it's the Devils work but it does have a chance of having the needle going in at something like the right angle, everything else about them is about as crap as it can be and it will still sound shit and wreck your records  but they did manage to get the tracking angle close.

The straight arm/straight headshell is for scratching and no friend to the vinyl record.

Have a read of the KAB page on it.

https://www.kabusa.com/str8_doc.htm

Have you tried putting one of those on a protractor then trying to get the correct overhang? or even two point alignment? They are just wrong on every level.

When all of these tables are made they use the same basic Sl1200 geometry and then balls it up with a straight headshell. All you need to do though is fit one of the angled ones and hey presto it's perfect and a good table.

I'm no fan of the Crosley and was being a tad sarcastic, I think it's the Devils work but it does have a chance of having the needle going in at something like the right angle, everything else about them is about as crap as it can be and it will still sound shit and wreck your records  but they did manage to get the tracking angle close.

The straight arm/straight headshell is for scratching and no friend to the vinyl record.

Have a read of the KAB page on it.

https://www.kabusa.com/str8_doc.htm

I've never attempted to set up a Stanton, but aligning a cart is never a fun, easy experience.  I'm sure it can be done.  At the end of the day, they make DJ tables and I would never recommend one to some for listening.  

I've never attempted to set up a Stanton, but aligning a cart is never a fun, easy experience.  I'm sure it can be done.  At the end of the day, they make DJ tables and I would never recommend one to some for listening.  

The problem is as you say people are dumb and buy these for home use which was never what they were intended for or at least I hope they weren't, and they have no idea of the damage they can potentially do, don't forget most DJ carts have a very stiff cantilever and suspension so are much less forgiving when it comes to alignment and resist trying to track properly if not properly aligned which is where the groove wall wear comes from

Sad thing is the St150 with an S shaped arm is a good table as are a few of the better DJ tables, whether they are worth the values some of them go for is a different matter but then how people justify what they pay for stuff is their own business.

Okay so I'm new to this whole record vinyl thing. I'm going to purchase a LP-120 and Logitech Z623 speakers. I know they are computer speakers but i thought i could use them for my PC and my turntable until i can afford some speakers and a amp or what ever i would need. Now my question is will the LP-120 work with the Z623 or is there something else i will need. I know this is probably a dumb question but i know nothing about this stuff and would really love some help.  

Just got an acrylic platter. Do I need a clamp or am I alright just placing the record on there without a clamp?

No you don't need a clamp or a slip mat for that matter just put the record straight on the platter.

You can add a clamp if you like as it will couple the record to the platter better and personally I prefer a clamp rather than a weight.

Quick question.  I'm hoping to pick up some Wharfedale Diamond 220's in the near future.  I'm currently using a Harmon Kardon amp that was my parents old amp for their surround sound system.  It is the AVR 3600.  Will it be okay to use with the Wharfedale's until I am able to get a proper receiver for my setup?  Thanks.

My current speakers are the Harmon Kardon speakers that were used for the surround sound system (2 of them), and a massive cube like sub that was also used with the system.  And the receiver is set to "AUX: Logic 7 Music".  

So maybe I would be better off with a new receiver first?

AV receivers are not really ideal for stereo set-ups, since they are made for multi channel sounds primarily. If you think it sounds fine, you might be able to grab speakers and a new one later on if you want. I suggest a proper stereo amp before a speaker upgrade though.

I got the speakers in today and they have four posts on the back instead of two. Which set do I plug the power in?

Using a Marantz 2225 and Polk TSi400s

Doesn't matter.  Just make sure that the bridge is in place between the top and bottom set of posts and that you don't mix/match between the 2 sets of posts.