Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I reset it to 1.5, which is what my VTF is. He had it at 2.5.

Edit: I almost meant to mention, that I tried the onboard phono stage in my music hall intergrated and it sounded pretty lifeless compared to my Schiit Mani. There goes that idea of selling it to save for a better one. Will save, then sell once I get one I want.

I see the Audioengine A5 speakers are recommended, but I'm curious about the A2+ powered to complete my set-up.  I have also seen reviews of the 2+ and it seems to be my favorite so far for the price.  Has anyone had any problems with them or any input besides they won't have as much bass without an external woofer?

I reset it to 1.5, which is what my VTF is. He had it at 2.5.

Edit: I almost meant to mention, that I tried the onboard phono stage in my music hall intergrated and it sounded pretty lifeless compared to my Schiit Mani. There goes that idea of selling it to save for a better one. Will save, then sell once I get one I want.

Always the best idea if you can as the next thing you buy might not be better to your ears than the thing you just sold to pay for the new thing

Always the best idea if you can as the next thing you buy might not be better to your ears than the thing you just sold to pay for the new thing

That was certianly my realization after heaing the onboard pre-amp in the music hall. It's a great amp otherwise, but the pre-amp lacked a lot of details.

Be aware that there's a good chance you will get slapped with an import fee if ordering from Canada.

Anywhoo...

This isn't a bad deal either

Marantz PM6005 (factory refurb) - $499

I had really good luck with a B stock turntable from Music Direct/Marantz.

I don't think there's really a value to that, honestly. The price of a 651p + a A-S501 puts you right up near the cost of a much better integrated amp combo. Funny enough I actually had a 651p paired with my A-S500 for a while - it's what I bought when I couldn't get over the bad preamp on the Yamaha. I liked the combo pretty well, it was definitely an improvement from just the A-S500, but I sold the 651p and A-S500 for enough to buy a used Rega Brio-R integrated, and that thing blows the other combo out of the water.

There's no right or wrong answer really because with all hifi there are are a lot of generalities but also some exceptions and when you talk about a price range it will vary a lot depending on whether you are talking about brand new, nearly new or a bit older.

Thank you guys so much for your responses and helping me out! I think I'm going to run with the Marantz PM6005 factory refurb at $500 recommended in the top post I quoted. Thoughts?

Looking at the Marantz PM5005 and PM6005, does anyone know if there is a real difference in the amp part of these? I'm seeing 40 watts vs 45 in the 6005, but otherwise the only difference appears to be the DAC. For $500 I think I'd rather have a new 5005 than a refurbed 6005 just for the warranty alone if there isn't much of a difference between the two. I don't have a need for the DAC.

Looking at the Marantz PM5005 and PM6005, does anyone know if there is a real difference in the amp part of these? I'm seeing 40 watts vs 45 in the 6005, but otherwise the only difference appears to be the DAC. For $500 I think I'd rather have a new 5005 than a refurbed 6005 just for the warranty alone if there isn't much of a difference between the two. I don't have a need for the DAC.

I had both a PM5004 and PM6004 and didn't really find them to be very different for my purposes.  I mostly played music at a moderate volume in my small living room using somewhat efficient speakers (something like 90db at 6ohms).

THAT SAID.  If you don't care about the DAC, I would go with the Rega Brio 3 linked a page back.

http://www.lpgear.co...t/REGABRIO.html

If you had to go with one of these speakers which one would be the most recommended? All get favorable reviews and I have to idea what to look for in this aspect. And no I really don't want to spend more at this time, the difference in sound quality wouldn't be that noticeable with my current setup anyways. 

Micca MB42 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IUIV4A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Monoprice http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108250-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B005E2YFT6/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Dayton B652 http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=zg_bs_3236451011_3

If you had to go with one of these speakers which one would be the most recommended? All get favorable reviews and I have to idea what to look for in this aspect. And no I really don't want to spend more at this time, the difference in sound quality wouldn't be that noticeable with my current setup anyways. 

Micca MB42 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IUIV4A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Monoprice http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108250-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B005E2YFT6/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Dayton B652 http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=zg_bs_3236451011_3

I guess if sound quality doesn't matter, just get the cheapest.

Nice post, friend.

At least look at the Dayton B652-AIR version.  What is your current set up?

Its a uturn orbit with a pyle preamp and lepai amp. The preamp and amp are next to be upgraded. I feel like with my current turntable and cart any speakers over $100 wouldnt really make a difference

You'd be surprised. There's nothing wrong with the Uturn as far as I know and you could do a lot lot worse, it's not the limitation in that list of equipment.

You don't say what speakers you have now but from what you list your amp is the weakest link in that chain and anything with the name Pyle written on it doesn't usually shout quality.

All of the speakers are designed as rear channel surround sound speakers so not really for hifi use and will be perfectly adequate if driven with a half decent amplifier but no better than that and I suspect your Uturn will cope with a lot better phono stage, amplifier and speakers.

Of the speakers you list my instinct would be the Dayton's basically because the bass drivers look to be a half decent size and they look slightly better made than the Monoprice but there will be next to bugger all in it. The Micca's look to be the better made of the three and look to have the better tweeters but the bass drivers are very small

Its a uturn orbit with a pyle preamp and lepai amp. The preamp and amp are next to be upgraded. I feel like with my current turntable and cart any speakers over $100 wouldnt really make a difference

I think you're selling the Orbit a bit short.  It's not a top of the line table but you should be able to get some nice sound out of it.  I think if you buy any of those speakers now and upgrade your preamp later, you're going to wish that you got some nicer speakers.  

FYI, for some cheaper speakers check these out

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445965348&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+andrew+jones+speakers

They can get pretty low in price so I'd keep an eye out.  These are what I run my Orbit through.

That amp and preamp are most certainly the weak point in your system. As Allen said, you don't state what speakers you have now. I'd looking into a decent intergrated with a phono stage, and that should be a good start. The Rega Brio linked a page or two page in the thread would be a huge jump in quailty, for a great price.

I ended up grabbing the Marantz PM5005, and I'm really loving that in combination with the Music Hall mmf-2.2. Thank all of you for all of your help and suggestions, I've really learned a lot! Now I'll upgrade from the low level speakers I have around Christmas and hopefully really notice the change then.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway, if not here, then where, right?

I have an RCA to 3.5mm cable, would I damage my amp if I plugged that in to the CD input and played an ipod? I would think it should be fine, but I wanted to ask and make sure before doing something dumb.

I ended up grabbing the Marantz PM5005, and I'm really loving that in combination with the Music Hall mmf-2.2. Thank all of you for all of your help and suggestions, I've really learned a lot! Now I'll upgrade from the low level speakers I have around Christmas and hopefully really notice the change then.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway, if not here, then where, right?

I have an RCA to 3.5mm cable, would I damage my amp if I plugged that in to the CD input and played an ipod? I would think it should be fine, but I wanted to ask and make sure before doing something dumb.

You'll be fine. Any input more or less would probably be okay other than plugging something line level into a phono input on an amp.

Dropped my new table off at the shop to get the Grado installed. They use some crazy computer alignment tool, with lasers and stuff, so you know it's pretty much perfect. $30 to do, seems high, but I bet it'll be worth it. No table for 3 days though :(.

Dropped my new table off at the shop to get the Grado installed. They use some crazy computer alignment tool, with lasers and stuff, so you know it's pretty much perfect. $30 to do, seems high, but I bet it'll be worth it. No table for 3 days though :(.

$30 seems extremely cheap to me.

Really? Well that's good then. I have no problem helping them out, he is a really nice guy, and obviously needs to pay his employees. I wish I had more confidence in myself to align it, but damn shaky hands. I am going to get a 2nd headshell soon to try to get better at it.

Really? Well that's good then. I have no problem helping them out, he is a really nice guy, and obviously needs to pay his employees. I wish I had more confidence in myself to align it, but damn shaky hands. I am going to get a 2nd headshell soon to try to get better at it.

The way I look at it, setting up a turntable is more finicky than setting up a guitar and I would expect to pay at least $50-$60 for that.  If the shop had a Plek machine, the price would probably go up. 

You could easily spend 1-2 hours dicking around with it on your own if you were inexperienced and you may not even know if it was right when you were done.

Plus if they screw something up, I assume they're on the hook for it.  Though, less scrupulous shops may not.

All very fair points, I won't fret over it. I'm really excited to get it back and hear the Grado green. Hopefully the 8MZ stylus does not go up in price a lot by the time I need to replace the one on the green.

Anyone have a digital scale recommendations for tracking force? I just picked up my TT, guy had the Grado set at what looked like 2.5 g, so I adjusted it to 1.5 according to my Shure scale, and it skipped across the record.

Also Grado users, what loads do you have your preamps set at? I had 42dB and it was kind of quiet, so I upped it to 48dB and now it sounds really damn good.