Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I'm using some low impedance floor speakers right now. I haven't heard a set of bookshelf speakers I liked. They all have no bottom end

Uh, low impedance? Your receiver would need more power to drive them properly than high impedance speakers, so I'm not sure that's accurate considering the receiver you're using...

I'm using some low impedance floor speakers right now. I haven't heard a set of bookshelf speakers I liked. They all have no bottom end

Poor bookshelf speakers can favour the upper middle frequencies but there are quite a few that do a perfectly good job across the range and I've heard some pretty piss poor floor standers in that department so I think you just haven't tried enough speakers.

I have some small near-field monitors that will shake your fillings out and that's with very little power driving them, they've got more than enough bottom and they're not unique in that skill set.

It does depend how much and how low you want to go with bass but I can't see it being that hard to find a pair that suit your taste.

The other things to consider are placement (both you and the speakers) and room acoustics. I've heard plenty of systems where the room just sucks the bass right out of the sound, and seen some of the strange ways people overcome it.

Also not sure about the low impedance thing, what do you call low?

• 2 weeks later...

I think my preamp is the current low end of my chain, and I'm looking to upgrade. I'd love to try a tube pre-amp, but they all seem out of my current budget of $500. I know there are a lot cheap Chinese ones, but they seem to need a lot of mods to get working correctly. I'm sure all the others in that price range are hybrids as well. Any suggestions? The Vincent suggested in this thread seems quite nice.

I think my preamp is the current low end of my chain, and I'm looking to upgrade. I'd love to try a tube pre-amp, but they all seem out of my current budget of $500. I know there are a lot cheap Chinese ones, but they seem to need a lot of mods to get working correctly. I'm sure all the others in that price range are hybrids as well. Any suggestions? The Vincent suggested in this thread seems quite nice.

I've never heard one of these but there's a lot of info in the forums on Canuck Audio Mart http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=68 

I think the price is in Canadian dollars so it's around $486 US. Last Boxing Day (Dec 26) they were around another $150 off. Might be something to look into.

I've never heard one of these but there's a lot of info in the forums on Canuck Audio Mart http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=68 

I think the price is in Canadian dollars so it's around $486 US. Last Boxing Day (Dec 26) they were around another $150 off. Might be something to look into.

Looks interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks!

My opinion is you'll get much better performance on a solid state phono preamp unless you are spending over $1K. The sound of the $500-800 SS phono pres are that good compared to tube for the same price.

I think you're possibly into personal taste rather than better or worse territory there

although I do agree it's pot luck with the Chinese ones there are some good ones but unfortunately the price seems to have no real bearing on quality and yes you quite often need to finish the job with them. There used to be some very good kit based ones over here that were good value for money.

I will say though that the best phono stage I have heard at any price was solid state which was the Kinshaw Perception and I wish I still had mine.

Finally saved about $500 to get a new TT. Was leaning towards the Debut Carbon DC but I hate that I would need to remove the platter just to change the speed. So then I got to thinking about springing for the Debut Carbon DC with built in speed box and acrylic platter for $599

Question. Is there any other player in this 5-600 range with auto 33/45 selector that is a better option than the Debut Carbon DC SB? I am only interested in new players, had poor luck with vintage and don't feel like messing with them

Current setup: 

Pro‑Ject Debut Carbon 

Sherwood RX-4109

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350's

Just moved into a new house, and have a large basement for my music room, so I'm looking at upgrading to some floor standing speakers. But first I need to replace my lousy Sherwood Receiver. Looking for something in the $400 range that can power some floor standing speakers to high volumes. 

What are people using in their setups that you would recommend? Not too too many options for speaker shops to demo stuff near me, only a few brands have authorized dealers. Any advice on a few amps to look into would be much appreciated.

Current setup: 

Pro‑Ject Debut Carbon 

Sherwood RX-4109

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350's

Just moved into a new house, and have a large basement for my music room, so I'm looking at upgrading to some floor standing speakers. But first I need to replace my lousy Sherwood Receiver. Looking for something in the $400 range that can power some floor standing speakers to high volumes. 

What are people using in their setups that you would recommend? Not too too many options for speaker shops to demo stuff near me, only a few brands have authorized dealers. Any advice on a few amps to look into would be much appreciated.

I'm sort of trying to do the same and this is what I was thinking.

Cambridge - Azur 651P / $229 / http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Azur-651P-Preamp-Silver/dp/B007A0HAJC

Emotiva - Mini-X A-100 / $150 / http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

open to other suggestions though, thanks in advance. 

The Espirit? It looks like it is dropping by $50 right now. I don't know much about it, but the acrylic platter is supposed to be a really nice upgrade. You can always buy a speedbox down the road if you get too annoyed switching the belt.

https://www.nekoaudio.com/project-turntable.php?p=project-debut-esprit-sb

I thought straight tone arms were bad, though?  

I've been looking to upgrade my turntable, and one of the Project Debut's is what I've been considering.  

I thought straight tone arms were bad, though? 

No, straight tonearms fine, so long as the headshell is angled.

I was just about to say that, it's DJ tables with straight arms and straight headshells that are bad like those on any of the Stanton's with STR8 in the model number. Some of the modern Lenco's have these arms but use an angled headshell which is fine but I haven't as yet been able to find anywhere that sells these angled headshells on their own to use with something like one of the upper range Stanton's.

I don't find it annoying at all to remove the platter to switch between 33 and 45. It takes 10 seconds.

Yeah, but I'm the type of person to put the record on, play it, realize it sounds slow and then have to change the speed. Wouldn't want to take the record, then platter off just to change the speed