Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I've not heard any of the new range of Cambridge kit but have generally liked all that I've heard before and it is always good value for money in the UK. If you're getting it from Richer's I'd talk to them about what speakers you have and how well this amp will drive them, you might need to talk to a couple of guys there but some of them are very knowledgeable and if they are selling you the amp they are not going to want to get it wrong.

I know with the old phono stages (551p 651p) the MM/MC one on MM was not really any better than the MM only one but if you are ever thinking about getting an MC cart you do have that option with the better unit, the other option is finding any of the Musical Fidelity XLP type phono stages which are much better phono stages again

Also for a bit less than your £500 if you don't need the DAC inside the CX A60 you could search out an old Cambridge C500 and two P500's they would certainly drive your monitor Audio's. Of course the CX A60 does have a pre out so you could just add a P500 to it but they do look very different.

Also some amps are man enough for you to drive your speakers bi amped from their two sets of speaker outs so that's another question you could ask Richers.

Hi guys,

New turntable owner here.  I got a Innovative Technologies 6 in 1 entertainment center for my birthday a few days ago.  I've already done the research and read the forums and know that what I have is crap and I shouldn't use it to play anything.  I don't plan on returning it because it was a gift from my mom, plus it looks nice and the bluetooth connectivity is really handy.

Not surprisingly, I'm having some issues with it. Skipping, sliding, not spinning fast enough (only on 45 rpm though...), etc.  I've already gone out to the local record store and bought about $100 of records, some new, some used.  I absolutely plan on getting an actual turntable that's not crap, but I won't have $300-400 to spend until I get my tax return.

So, for the time being, is there ANYTHING I can do with my current turntable to help with these issues?  There's no weight adjustment and no anti-skate.  I already know not to put a penny on the tone arm because I'm not trying to destroy my records.  I just really would like to enjoy the few records I have until I can get something better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sadly anything you can do will require you to open it up which will invalidate any guarantee and also has a pretty low chance of success.

It's pot luck with these things, some work some don't but trying to fix them is only advisable if you can't return it and even if you can it will still sound average at the very best.

For now search Craigs list, ebay, the local 2nd hand/thrift sores and classifieds etc and see if you can find a separate turntable, amplifier/receiver and speakers but factor in you will probably need to replace the stylus and belt if it's belt drive so a bit of research on your phone when you are stood in front on any prospective purchase is a good idea. If you put in the time and research you might find you pick up some decent kit now but it does take time and research (a lot of it) and a fair amount of luck

One to look at is ex DJ tables that are not SL1200's there are a few about that are perfectly good but not what DJ's want so have very low prices and especially the belt drive ones, belt drive is useless for a DJ but just fine and quite often preferred for home use but just avoid the DJ tables with straight arms and straight headshells (the cartridge should always be angled in at 18 degrees so an S shaped arm or a straight arm with an angled in headshell) as these can be just as bad as your Chinese thing damage wise

Thanks for the response! 

But yeah, I figured there wasn't really anything I could do. :(   I have looked on craigslist already, but even so, used tables are still a couple hundred bucks or more.  And I'm a little weary of buying used electronics.  I'm pretty set on getting something new.  I've been doing my research (a lot of it) and will make a decision once I find out exactly how much I'm getting back.  I spent probably 6 hours just yesterday reading through a few forums. This thread is by far the best resource.  I couldn't find any other forum with or a thread with budget recommendations.  I'm looking at any of the <$400s.

I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not looking to get the highest of the hifi or anything, but I definitely want a TT that actually works lol.

Also, is SRC Vinyl a good site to buy from?  I see the ads on here, so I was just curious.  I really want that Walk Hard soundtrack, it's one of my favorite movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have been flirting with the idea of vinyl for a good while and am finally making steps (altho they are baby steps right now). This thread has been a great help to me but I have some questions (I feel a bit information overload) if you would be so kind to help with. I tried to use another forum but it was all 'use older stuff' and 'forget buying new' which is a scarier proposition for a newbie like me.

Basically I really want to get back to listening to music properly having grown up in the cd age (I am 28), I now just want a beer, chair and newly acquired record. Digital (itunes, spotify and computers) have ruined the fun of listening to music for me instead of listening I mind numbly flick through tracks, albums. So here I am.....

Turnable:
I have narrowed my search down to 3 what would be the best for me? a complete noob? and what are the differences:

Pro-ject essential 2 - £209
Pro-ject debut se3 - £265
Pioneer PL30 - £248

(all the above seem easily avaIlable in the UK or have I missed a better alternative in that price range?)

I would have loved the project carbon or rega rp1 with performance pack but I cannot stretch that much right now sadly.

Now I understand I would need a pre-amp also. Project Phono box any good? or cambridge audio azzur 551p?

I have some ok powered PC speakers (phillips mms321) can I use these to get by with or not? and are headphones possible (via headphone amp)? so would I need an amp/reciever basically from day 1?

I want to add more improved kit as I can, speakers etc.

But I would like a starting point as a beginner really just to listen to some records and learn as I move forward. Its gonna be 45s and LPs only and no 78s.

Thank you for any help in advance, sorry about the rambling and all the questions (I imagine you've done this a million times).

Regards

Sean

I finally witnessed a great first post!!!

I'd say go with the Pro-jects, I'm a fanboy!...can't really say anything about the Pioneer TT, but I'm sure there are others around who can help!

Your setup will sound as good as the weakest link (your PC speakers, I guess)...I'd definitely change speakers as soon as possible.

I'm currently at work, therefore I don't have time to give you more details; but will try after work (although I'm sure in the meantime a lot of other people will suggest some good things).

Thanks.

I've done alot of reading and scrambled my brain a little going around in circles with the different project models haha.

Yeah the speakers are gonna be the terrible weak link but would hopefully upgrade them out within a few months to some thing more acceptable. I might even just scrap them and go straight with a headphone amp initially if they are that bad.

Hello Sean

Yes good first post for a change.

You are in the land that has made many of the greatest turntables the world has seen so you don't have to go new and because of this your budget used if well spent will wipe the floor with all of your new table choices.

The same is true for the rest of the parts of the system and I'm pretty certain I could suggest or put together a used system for the sort of money you are looking to spend on a new table quite easily.

Yeah the issue I have with used is that I wouldn't know a good deck if you cracked me over the head with it. Also any issues with setup etc scares me alot..being a complete newbie its a big step for me. I know its not new tech but to me it is completely foreign. I am guessing my mum felt like this when I gave here my old mac laptop lol

There is always a risk with 2nd hand and yes it does take a lot of research but the question of setup is the same for any turntable old or new.

If you read through the beginners thread (yes it is a lot of pages) I know I've given some broad guidelines on how to spot a good one quite a few times

What part of the UK are you in? And PM I might be able to help you out, if you are miles away from me I can at least point you in the right direction and give you some examples.

I just bought a new place last year and have been using money on furniture, etc. I am ready to start saving for a decent setup. Nothing too fancy. The search function doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'd rather not start a new thread. But what do people think about U Orbit turntables? Or Pro Ject? That's right in line with what my budget is ($250). I see these "acrylic plates". Do they really make a difference? I work at a place where I could cut my own acrylic plate if necessary. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I did read the first page of this thread and I thought it was amazingly helpful. I had no idea so much effort went into the correct setup. I'm excited to create my own.

Yes acrylic platters help quite a lot sonically provided you use it correctly and the rest of the equipment is good enough to pick out the difference. Don't get me wrong by good enough I don't mean expensive high end I just mean better than a cheap crap phono stage and computer speakers and that you don't put a mat on top of it. Also they help with static.

And if you can cut your own then there’s a business opportunity right there, especially for made to order platters for tables that don't usually get them made for them. Make a post advertising that sort of service on here and I bet you'll get a lot of PM's, I would if I were in the US I have a few I need made.

The Project and the Orbit is really down to choice, I haven't heard an Orbit so can't comment but looking at the two my instinct is the arm on the Orbit is nicer being a unipivot but please don't take that as advice as it might not be a good unipivot

For what it's worth, I just got a new Pro-ject Debut Carbon over the weekend...picked it up Friday night, and spent the entire weekend putting it through the paces. It's a bit inconvenient to change from 33 to 45 because you have to actually lift up the platter to access the drive belt, but that's about the only even minor complaint I've had.

For what it's worth, I just got a new Pro-ject Debut Carbon over the weekend...picked it up Friday night, and spent the entire weekend putting it through the paces. It's a bit inconvenient to change from 33 to 45 because you have to actually lift up the platter to access the drive belt, but that's about the only even minor complaint I've had.

What do you make of it? Its on my potential list

I love it. As I said, it's a pain it the ass to switch RPM settings, but I'm gonna pick up a Speedbox for that later. It sounds SO MUCH BETTER than my old turntable did, and it also looks really good sitting on my shelf.

I did notice a lot more static since upgrading, but I'm not sure how much of that is environment vs. the felt mat (I had a rubber mat on my old table)

Overall I'm very pleased with the Debut Carbon. Highly recommended

Or even an acrylic mat but yes give the felt one a ceremonial burning you'll feel much better for it.

Yeah, I'm getting rid of that felt mat ASAP. Probably just gonna go with the cork one for now, then upgrade to an acrylic platter later on.

Edit: just ordered the cork mat...should have it next Tuesday.