SamSung Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 (Verizon)

So, I thought I night find another thread like this on here, but since the search function is garbage, I just looked over the last few pages and didn't see one. Anyways. I'm currently in the market for a new phone, upgrading from my Droid Bionic. I've been trying to make this descision for the last few months, since February, and it's become a very hard choice... I thought I might get some more personal thoughts from people on here. Most reviews and articles online just say "it depends on your preference."

The Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out at the end of May for Verizon, and it has a 5" 1080p screen and crazy processor. If it didn't have those, I wouldn't even consider it, but the screen is so much bigger than the iPhone. I know some people who have the iPhone 5 and love it, and I know I would love it too, but I also love having a huge, beautiful screen. There's obviously some pros to Android, like customization and such, but iOS is just so pretty and easy to use.

One thing that is sort of an X-Factor here, I love my iPod Touch, and am currently writing this from it, which means I'm very familiar with iOS and I know it'll run very fast and seamlessly. But I'm also familiar with Android, and do enjoy tweaking things and stuff. But the biggest thing is the huge screen at full HD, instead of the iPhone's 4" screen that's a fairly low resolution.

Do any of you have the iPhone 5? Do any of you have the S3 or have/are getting the S4? My current phone is an Android as well, and I don't use it for a whole lot, and I know if I had an iPhone, I'd use it much more. That's another plus. Someone please give me some pros and cons and help me decide? It's becoming frustrating!

Me, as well as several of my friends/coworkers (some of which previously had iPhones) have the Galaxy S3 and we all love it. 

I got it as soon as I could get my hands on it last year and it has worked flawless for me the entire time. I do SO many things on it, including dragging music I download to my phone from my computer and using it as an MP3 player, using it for navigation, my email, MLB.com, the internet, the list goes on and on. The response to the touch screen is amazing, the details on the screen are jaw dropping.

There is SO much customization that can be done on this phone, and I think that is what sets this apart from the iPhone and what makes people leery about getting an Android. But honestly, I'm not that phone savvy, and it's not that complicated. Most of the questions you may have come up can easily be searched and answered on Google. 

The camera is also amazing, there are so many options to take good pictures, and the details are unbelievable. I think I have over 1500 images on my phone, a ton of apps, and still, the phone operates like day one, it moves fast with no lag. 

I would consider getting the S4 if my contract called for it. I am going to wait another year and then probably purchase the S4. I am a very picky purchaser and honestly, this is probably the most perfect phone I've ever owned. 

Just get a case for it! They say the phone has "Gorilla Glass" but I have seen several S3 screen cracks, on what i am told have been very minimal drops. This is the biggest flaw IMO of this phone. However my friend dropped his from a balcony and it only had a scratch. So it really depends on how it hits the ground. 

Any specific questions? Go ahead and ask! Hope I helped!

I have the iPhone 5, and I have loved every second I've had it; since December. Then again I did upgrade from a 3gs. So, I'd probably love anything after that for so long. haha. The screen resolution is beautiful, and the speed of the phone is unbelievable. But honestly, like you said it ultimately comes down to personal preference. 

Yeah, I know a lot about the phone already. I've read a dozen in-depth reviews, but they all mostly say the same thing. I don't use the camera all that much on any phone, but I guess it could be a reason to use it more. I do have a $700 camera, though, that I never use, either, so I dunno. The biggest thing is how much I'll use it, like I said, I spend hours and hours on my iPod Touch every day, and I only use my phone for texting, calling, and when I'm out, I use it for GPS and Internet. One of the main things I like about iOS is the safari app. It's so used friendly. On my current phone, the Internet app is very slow and buggy and awkward to navigate. I also have to press the unlock button two or three times to get the screen to come on, partially cuz of my custom lockscreen. Another thing is the notifications. iOS is fast and easy to see, while my current phone requires you to press like three different buttons, and I have to use third-party apps for most things to function. I think I mainly just haven't used to S3/S4. The most annoying thing about my phone is how long it takes to get to and reply to texts. I think I just hate my current phone, even though it was amazing when I first got it. I had the first Galaxy phone, but only for a few months before I dropped it and had to get a new phone.

If you're already an Android user, I would not recommend going into an iPhone, as you would most definitely hate it.  I work at Sprint, and though the iPhone 5 is a pretty solid phone, those who are used to Android tend to return the iPhone when switching to OSX because of how limited it is compared to Android.  Overall, I recommend the HTC One right now. 

Yeah, I know a lot about the phone already. I've read a dozen in-depth reviews, but they all mostly say the same thing. I don't use the camera all that much on any phone, but I guess it could be a reason to use it more. I do have a $700 camera, though, that I never use, either, so I dunno. The biggest thing is how much I'll use it, like I said, I spend hours and hours on my iPod Touch every day, and I only use my phone for texting, calling, and when I'm out, I use it for GPS and Internet. One of the main things I like about iOS is the safari app. It's so used friendly. On my current phone, the Internet app is very slow and buggy and awkward to navigate. I also have to press the unlock button two or three times to get the screen to come on, partially cuz of my custom lockscreen. Another thing is the notifications. iOS is fast and easy to see, while my current phone requires you to press like three different buttons, and I have to use third-party apps for most things to function. I think I mainly just haven't used to S3/S4. The most annoying thing about my phone is how long it takes to get to and reply to texts. I think I just hate my current phone, even though it was amazing when I first got it. I had the first Galaxy phone, but only for a few months before I dropped it and had to get a new phone.

on a sort-of related note, I think the Safari browser is god-awful. I use Chrome on my iDevices and computer. Assuming your iPod touch is in decent condition, you could sell it for a decent amount on eBay and use that money towards an iPhone. I have sold a few iPods and iPhones over the past six months or so and have been surprised at how much money I get for them. Either way, I think iOS is a much cleaner and simpler put mobile OS as compared to Android or Blackberry. iPhones from the factory do not give you as much customization, but as you said you barely use your phone as it is. 

Just for shits, here is my iPhone (4S but that doesn't apply) homescreen. 

kXlp7mW.png

on a sort-of related note, I think the Safari browser is god-awful. I use Chrome on my iDevices and computer. Assuming your iPod touch is in decent condition, you could sell it for a decent amount on eBay and use that money towards an iPhone. I have sold a few iPods and iPhones over the past six months or so and have been surprised at how much money I get for them. Either way, I think iOS is a much cleaner and simpler put mobile OS as compared to Android or Blackberry. iPhones from the factory do not give you as much customization, but as you said you barely use your phone as it is.

Just for shits, here is my iPhone (4S but that doesn't apply) homescreen.

kXlp7mW.png

I despise Safari on desktops/laptops, but I love the mobile version. It's just so sleek and easy to use. If I got an iPhone 5, I might jailbreak it, but I doubt it. Haven't jailbroken any of my iPods since my third gen. As far as selling my iPod, I wouldn't do that. I like having two seperately devices. I have almost 55GB of music on my iPod, and I'm not paying $400 for a 64GB iPhone just to fill it up again. :P That's a pretty cool homescreen, though.

Here is a very good/unbiased review of the S4. If I didn't get the S3 last year it would definitely be my Android choice of 2013. I really like Samsung devices:

Thanks for the review!

If you're already an Android user, I would not recommend going into an iPhone, as you would most definitely hate it. I work at Sprint, and though the iPhone 5 is a pretty solid phone, those who are used to Android tend to return the iPhone when switching to OSX because of how limited it is compared to Android. Overall, I recommend the HTC One right now.

Well, like I said, while my current phone is an Android, I've had three generations of iPod Touches, and loved every single one. I used to jailbreak my iPods and then I got tired of always having to fix it and all that mumbojumbo. So iOS is far from a new experience to me. I like Android cuz it's more customizable, but it crashes and has a lot more bugs and unreliable apps and a slew of worthless phones. I can't get the HTC One, since I'm on Verizon.

I use my Galaxy S3 a lot, and a full charge lasts me the whole day. I do charge it every night before I go to bed.

I rarely have the phone die on me before the day is through.

From what I've heard, I wouldn't doubt that the iPhone battery life is better, though I have no proof.

The S4 has a bigger battery, but the S4 also will probably drain the battery faster. Not sure, though.

the fact that you can add 64 GB of storage to the s4 is huge.

I really only use Android phones for apps and pictures. I've yet to find a method of listening to music on my phone that doesn't make me wanna break it. 16GB would be fine. I also already have a 16GB card. So that's 32GB already. I have my iPod, so I wouldn't need bigger than a 32GB iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...

iPhone > everything else. I can never understand why people want giant droid phones. I mean, I don't carry a purse and absolutely loathe having bulky shit in my pockets. Another huge advantage is the resale value of apple products. They maintain a good resale rate while all other phones aren't worth a fraction of retail.

If you're already an Android user, I would not recommend going into an iPhone, as you would most definitely hate it.  I work at Sprint, and though the iPhone 5 is a pretty solid phone, those who are used to Android tend to return the iPhone when switching to OSX because of how limited it is compared to Android.  Overall, I recommend the HTC One right now. 

This.  I screw around with other people's iPhones to check out its capabilities and hand it back terribly disappointed.  Just way too limited and basic for the things I've found I can do with my Nexus.

I really only use Android phones for apps and pictures. I've yet to find a method of listening to music on my phone that doesn't make me wanna break it. 16GB would be fine. I also already have a 16GB card. So that's 32GB already. I have my iPod, so I wouldn't need bigger than a 32GB iPhone.

Poweramp and Google Music.  Poweramp plays every imaginable file you can think of and Google Music lets you upload 20,000 songs to their cloud server for FREE.  Androids are so fucking clutch for music.  Being able to add 64 extra GB's to the S4 is also huge as well.

Go with the S4 all my friends who have had Apple have broken their screen numerous times and say that the screen is way to small. Apple is losing a lot of business dueto the tiny screen still. I guarentee they will make a bigger screen soon to keep up with everyone else. I have the S3 and love it, great phone with a lot of options.