The Great Gatsby Soundtrack LP on Third Man

Why cant soundtracks with artists that I actually enjoy put out something as nice as this Third Man release? Every single artist is a pass on this soundtrack minus Jack White of course.

And if all you wanted was "Love is Blindness" it was the b-side to "Sixteen Saltines" that was released last year on record store day and is still readily available. It is the track that is the "playable etching" of the Third Man logo.

That's what has me boggled.

Hey, whatever I guess. It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it.

It still just blows my mind that some people here are able to blow $300 on something that will just hang on their wall. Or just blow $300 period.

It still just blows my mind that some people here are able to blow $300 on something that will just hang on their wall. Or just blow $300 period.

i'm not necessarily defending it, cause you'd have to really want it to get it. but this is different than a hot topic splatter. it's an art piece. this is literally something you'd want to hang on your wall because it complements the room. it's no different than buying a $300 painting because you like the art. someone will buy it, but most people won't "get it". it blows my mind that paintings sell for thousands of dollars, but that's just not my thing.

Yeah, I mean it's their money so not my place to judge but jesus. I really don't get it. I'm not meaning to start something where people feel the need to justify their purchase. Different strokes.

I guess they really are put together by hand... The Great Gatsby limited edition vinyl assembly line

It's a stunning looking release, that's for sure.  If it had any music on it that I'd actually want to drop a needle on, I'd probably consider buying it.  That said, I've never been into rap or any of those pop artists on the compilation.

This is so mind-blowing. People would hang this on their wall??

Friend: Hey man, nice apartment. Oh, Gatsby, I love that book! Nice wall piece!

You: Yeah, it's got nothing to do with the book, though. That's the soundtrack to the movie that just came out!!

Friend: ...Oh. The one with Tobey Maguire? Alright. Is it any good?

You: Not sure. I don't want to play it because it's literally made from precious metals to document the monumental importance of this film! But it does have Fergie and will.i.am on it, along with movie dialogue, so you know, it's probably not a total piece of dogshit.

[Friend left mid-way through the previous sentence].

everything else aside, to advertise something as "limited edition" and then only press as many as people order is pretty deceitful.

I don't think I agree. It is a one time production run which will never be reproduced. Whether it is 100 or 4000 it is still limited in nature. You'll never have another opportunity to buy one direct again. It can't simply be repressed.

We also don't know if this is the case or if they have a cap and are just allowing themselves to press less if the demand isn't there. I get that some people want it to be hyper limited so they can sit high in the Superiority wing of Castle Smug but this all seems overblown.

Third Man does plenty of shit that is irritating to me. I'm fine with this personally.

who knows but it seems likely considering that they said only the first 100 have been produced.

and i realize price has something to do with this, but has anything else "limited" from third man lasted 8 hours before?

Where did you see that only the first 100 had been produced?

Swank clearly stated that these would be on sale starting on Friday, and would be on sale other days too, unless it sold out on Friday. I felt it was pretty clear that these weren't going to sell out today and that there would be plenty to go around for pretty much anyone who wanted the limited edition.

^^ I am beyond pissed that I didn't jump on Old Towne Ghosts' Kickstarter for that. I am hoping some will make their way to the band's webstore after their record release show. 

They will.  Apparently we will find out early next week.  Though, Horkey needs to make this a full-blown art print because that helmet is just off the fucking chain!!!