At least we're not as bad as r/vinyl

A lot of people talk about how VC has gone downhill, and how it's not as interesting as it once was. And for the most part, I agree. But Jesus Fuck, if we ever get to r/vinyl level idiocy, I just might snap. Current threads there include: A five month experiment to see if storing records in a tilted frame causes warping, an inquiry about where to purchase milk crates, a request for people to send in mp3 rips of their records so that someone whose "primary interest in Vinyl is to capture the sound onto a digital file so I can enjoy the rich sound in my car" can decide if he needs to upgrade his usb Ion, and 15,000 threads about shitty thrift store "hauls".

http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/1drchx/vinyl_on_display_my_5_month_record_warp/

http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/1drfzm/question_where_do_you_get_milk_crates/

http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/1dqnzq/what_am_i_missing_as_far_as_vinyl_music_quality/

http://i.imgur.com/1AxBLLm.jpg

There are some pretty dope records in that last picture, although they are pretty trashed.

For real though, people talk about how people on here are too mean to new posters, but /r/vinyl should be a cautionary tale in what happens when a community is welcoming to the point of allowing unchecked idiocy. And hey, if you're into recaps of thrift store finds, pictures of records on walls, and questions about Ion turntables, /r/vinyl is a large, active community that welcomes new users with open arms!

I learned more from getting called out for dumb questions/threads here then I would have ever learned on /r/vinyl. I would still be asking for pressing information, I would still think my old ION table into some logitech desktop speakers gets by just fine, and so much more. This board has 100x more information then the stupid threads on r/vinyl saying "hey, check out my haul!".

They have some pretty stupid posts, but I've noticed that at least their threads manage to stay on topic. They're also way less dick/elitist when people post stupid shit. 

I find elitism here just hilarious because the same people post "sounds just fine", "I'm not an audiophile", etc in regards to audio quality on a record (especially Universal Special Market records sold to HT).

And don't get me started on variant collectors....e.g. "I really need Thrice's [insert record title] in all the colors to complete the set".  /gag me

Try another band or another recording or even another pressing with a different master. 

Reddit is the worst place on the internet so this is not surprising to me.

Worse than 4chan? I hear ya though - can't stand that place. All my friends do is talk about the stupid crap they read on Reddit.

Reddit is only as good as you make it. If you just go to the default front page, it's all going to be dumb memes, pictures of cats, and quotes about god's lack of existence. I think some people mistake that for what the entire website is.

If you unsubscribe from the default subs, and find the smaller communities that are passionate about a specific topic, there's a lot of really solid information and discussion to be found on Reddit.