American Dream Records - Order Not Received and No Contact

Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me. I ordered and paid for The Graduate's Anhedonia 2 months ago, and nothing has been delivered and I've heard to contact from the company, after sending a couple of emails to them in the past few weeks.

Has anyone else been through similar problems and has anyone had a resolution? Any tips or contacts would be great. As long as I get my LP I'll be happy. Ended up paying £21 due to shipping but who gives a fuck, it's one of my all time favourite records.

Good luck. Guy is known to be a liar, a shady business man, horrible at keeping in contact, bad at shipping out records, etc.

Good reads:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/60724-po-i-can-make-a-mess-gold-rush-lp/

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/79540-po-rookie-of-the-year-goodnight-moon/

I feel like this dude is hit or miss.  I've had a lot of interaction with him back during the Gold Rush deal and he was super helpful to me.  I e-mailed him recently about the Mess test pressing info & he got back to me within 2 days.

I think there is some guy named Ryan who works with or at least knows Joe and has helped him out with American Dream Records from time to time. I only know his Twitter, though.  If you want to try to contact him, message me and I'll give you his Twitter handle.

Yeah this guy is pretty much the epitome of douchyness.

Quick story- A few years back I was looking to press The Graduates "Anehodonia" and "Only Every Time" on vinyl. Having no experience in pressing records I did a bunch of research on cost, laquer mastering, etc and than contacted The Graduate via their website asking if they were interested in me pressing their stuff. I got a response and it was from this guy who at the time was their "manager" who said they were definitly interested and wanted to start the process asap. So for months we had back and forth emails between him and I (and occasionally the band) where I researched and provided a laundry list of production costs/information for him and the band for pressing the album, cost differences between color labels and black and white, colored vinyl and black only, gatefold jackets compared to single, etc (and every other possible combination he asked for). So after months of set up, when we were in the "final stages" where basically all I needed to start pressing the records was the bands signature confirming they were giving me the rights to print the record for them he stopped responding to my emails.

Fastforward a few months later he comes up with "American Dream Records", whom he proclaims himself to be revolutionizing the music industry and kicks off his new "label" by releasing the 2 records I spent months providing pricing quotes, setting up all the paperwork and helping setup the artwork.

I know it sounds like sour grapes but honestly in the end I just enjoyed the records and wanted to see them pressed, so to me it really doesn't matter if it was by me or someone else. I just found his pompous proclamation that he was "changing the music industry" laughable considering I don't think the idea even crossed his mind untill I naively set it in front of him on a silverplatter.

Honestly though it probably worked out well for me since I was going to pay for all the upfront costs and had serious doubts I would be able to move them all and at least get my money back...I was looking at selling them at $11-$12 each (which if I remember correctly meant I would have to move around 300 copies of each before I got out of the red), he started off selling them at $19.99 each + $5 dollars shipping (wtf?), which he eventually moved down to $9.99 after they wouldnt sell.

Basically the moral of the story is i'm a horribly naive and gullible businessman and this guy is a pompous dousche :)

Yeah this guy is pretty much the epitome of douchyness.

Quick story- A few years back I was looking to repress The Graduates "Anehodonia" and "Only Every Time" on vinyl. Having no experience in pressing records I did a bunch of research on cost, laquer mastering, etc and than contacted The Graduate via their website asking if they were interested in me pressing their stuff. I got a response and it was from this guy who at the time was their "manager" who said they were definitly interested and wanted to start the process asap. So for months we had back and forth emails between him and I (and occasionally the band) where I researched and provided a laundry list of production costs/information for him and the band for pressing the album, cost differences between color labels and black and white, colored vinyl and black only, gatefold jackets compared to single, etc (and every other possible combination he asked for). So after months of set up, when we were in the "final stages" where basically all I needed to start pressing the records was the bands signature confirming they were giving me the rights to print the record for them he stopped responding to my emails.

Fastforward a few months later he comes up with "American Dream Records", whom he proclaims himself to be revolutionizing the music industry and kicks off his new "label" by releasing the 2 records I spent months providing pricing quotes, setting up all the paperwork and helping setup the artwork.

I know it sounds like sour grapes but honestly in the end I just enjoyed the records and wanted to see them pressed, so to me it really doesn't matter if it was by me or someone else. I just found his pompous proclamation that he was "changing the music industry" laughable considering I don't think the idea even crossed his mind untill I naively set it in front of him on a silverplatter.

Honestly though it probably worked out well for me since I was going to pay for all the upfront costs and had serious doubts I would be able to move them all and at least get my money back...I was looking at selling them at $11-$12 each (which if I remember correctly meant I would have to move around 300 copies of each before I got out of the red), he started off selling them at $19.99 each + $5 dollars shipping (wtf?), which he eventually moved down to $9.99 after they wouldnt sell.

Basically the moral of the story is i'm a horribly naive and gullible businessman and this guy is a pompous dousche :)

Wow. Definitely didn't know this story before! That's a bummer but also kind of hilarious.

Wow. Definitely didn't know this story before! That's a bummer but also kind of hilarious.

Nah it's not a bummer at all,  it was actually a blessing in disguise...at the time it sounded fun little project but looking back now the prospect of packing and shipping 1k records to maybe see a profit (and most likely lose money) doesn't sound quite as appealing lol

I'm just glad the albums got pressed on vinyl even if they were released by a somewhat shady dude like him ( I still bought both of them from him and tbqh I was pleasently surprised at how well they turned out)

I had no problem with my Graduate purchases... but now I can't get a response about my Rookie vinyl.

I plan on spamming him on twitter til I get a response. He loves his twitter:

@anamericangod

Thanks for this, I'll send him a few tweets. Interesting responses, will be cautious of any further direct involvement with them!

This "label" is one of the absolute worst. I echo everybody in saying this guy is a total joke.

I think my favorite story about him is how when Company Ink let Property Of Zack give away a copy of Hidden In Plain View he just happened to be the winner. When we all know Zack just passed the copy over to his buddy (or so I assume...but the chances of him winning fair and square I'd say were slim). Most everyone in that thread had a huge eye rolling moment haha.

This "label" is one of the absolute worst. I echo everybody in saying this guy is a total joke.

I think my favorite story about him is how when Company Ink let Property Of Zack give away a copy of Hidden In Plain View he just happened to be the winner. When we all know Zack just passed the copy over to his buddy (or so I assume...but the chances of him winning fair and square I'd say were slim). Most everyone in that thread had a huge eye rolling moment haha.

Yeah that was pretty bogus

I don't have the time to type my entire story.  Long story short, he told me (the customer) to basically fuck off, and the reason I didn't receive my order wasn't his fault.

It was clearly his fault and I have literally never had a worse customer service in any industry in all my years of living.  He proceeded to act like the biggest asshole, I never got my product (he never shipped it), and he kept my money.  Under no circumstances should any music lover support this asshat.

those are the perks of being a part of ABSOLUTEVOICES bro.

the I Can Make A Mess Gold Rush thread was pure gold. every single thing he could fuck up he fucked up. and made zero apologies while sitting atop the highest of high horses. this guy gives RJ and MTS a run for their money for biggest douchebag and worst "label." it's pathetic that this douche is still doing the same shit he's been doing since day 1. oh to think you're cool because you have 50 trillion posts on absolutepunk.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/60724-po-i-can-make-a-mess-gold-rush-lp/