Hawthorne PD kills dog of wrongly arrested citizen

I don't really want to watch it, but I was telling someone earlier about stuff like this happening. It seems like more and more departments are adopting policies that say "kill the dog first," when the necessity of that in a lot of cases is debatable. It's a quick way to establish authority in a situation, and you can always say the animal was a threat.

It's especially heartbreaking in cases where the police were at the wrong house or someone was falsely accused or doing nothing wrong.

you literally watch it go down from start to finish. dude is just recording it on his phone, they come up and arrest him for recording (which is legal), dog starts barking and comes at officer, officer shoots dog 1 time, it retreats, he shoots dog 3 more times, it dies in the street.

I didn't even have the sound on, so I didn't realize that many shots were fired. I wondered why the dog cowered away like that; I guess that was the initial shot. The dog was totally on the retreat at that point. This kind of stuff is harder for me to watch than a person being shot and killed.

Cue internet argument about police.

ACAB!

Cops are just regular workaday people like everyone else, trying to protect and serve!

Cops take away our rights!

I know a few and they're good people!

You're stupid!

No you're stupid!

Also everyone on the Internet is an armchair ACLU lawyer!

you literally watch it go down from start to finish. dude is just recording it on his phone, they come up and arrest him for recording (which is legal), dog starts barking and comes at officer, officer shoots dog 1 time, it retreats, he shoots dog 3 more times, it dies in the street.

This is what I'm talking about, though...I think that there's a growing idea that its an acceptable way to establish compliance from someone. I'm not saying there aren't times when it's warranted, but the more stories you hear about it, the more it seems like "kill the dog" is considered acceptable collateral damage.

Either it's happening more, or we're hearing about it more because of the Internet and because of how people worship dogs these days.

Which video did you watch? The one I watched had the dogs owner shouting something at the cops before they came over. It also had the cop trying to calm the dog (letting the dog jump at him mind you) before the dog jumped at him again more viciously. There also was no delay between shots unless you're seeing the bullets in some Neo bullet time.

Not saying any of this was ok at all, but describing it this way pretty ridiculous.

Which video did you watch? The one I watched had the dogs owner shouting something at the cops before they came over. It also had the cop trying to calm the dog (letting the dog jump at him mind you) before the dog jumped at him again more viciously. There also was no delay between shots unless you're seeing the bullets in some Neo bullet time.

Not saying any of this was ok at all, but describing it this way pretty ridiculous.

watch the video at the bottom of the page where he explains how it was from his perspective, aka right there, and then watch the top one again. the third cop literally runs at the dog with the gun drawn, as if with intentions already to shoot. 

obviously if youre gonna quickly jump forward at a dog like that, its gonna feel intimidated and natural instinct will take over.

also, the owner was taping, then as hes walking away shouts "civil rights violation", and then puts the dog in the car. i dont see how that is illegal? why did they need to come cuff him in the first place? they said in the report he was "obstructing officers"...i dont see him in the way at all, to be honest, just a guy walking his dog and sharing his opinion, from the sidelines, where everyone else is. 

watch the video at the bottom of the page where he explains how it was from his perspective, aka right there, and then watch the top one again. the third cop literally runs at the dog with the gun drawn, as if with intentions already to shoot.

obviously if youre gonna quickly jump forward at a dog like that, its gonna feel intimidated and natural instinct will take over.

also, the owner was taping, then as hes walking away shouts "civil rights violation", and then puts the dog in the car. i dont see how that is illegal? why did they need to come cuff him in the first place? they said in the report he was "obstructing officers"...i dont see him in the way at all, to be honest, just a guy walking his dog and sharing his opinion, from the sidelines, where everyone else is.

He's also yelling,"why are there no black cops?" he was clearly antagonizing the officers. Who at that point, were probably trying to just shut him up and get him out of the way. But, he had his dog and it escalated quickly, probably should have kept his fucking mouth shut and just went home.

The pigs in my hometown shot a UNCW student in the head through a closed door and then proceeded to kill his dog as well. They showed up with a full on SWAT team because they saw he had a couple of pics on Facebook with a gun. His family filed a lawsuit, subsequently winning the case and then donated all of the money to a scholarship fund.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1083279/

This man has no one else to blame but himself...

What's this?  A police standoff/hostage situation?  Oh cool, let me park my car right next to where it's all happening, roll my windows down, blare some music, walk around with my dog and verbally harrass the police.  Then when they want to detain me for being a public disturbance I'll be sure to NOT secure my dog by putting him in said vehicle with the windows down.

edit: be sure to read up on the entire story and not just the 2-3 minute video of the end of the incident.  The context of the situation is crucial.

He's also yelling,"why are there no black cops?" he was clearly antagonizing the officers. Who at that point, were probably trying to just shut him up and get him out of the way. But, he had his dog and it escalated quickly, probably should have kept his fucking mouth shut and just went home.

Yep. Everyone's gotta be all sensational about this situation. There are plenty of incidents to complain about but this isn't one.

no matter what the guy was doing, even if he was flashing his dick at the cops, and being an asshole, i still dont think that dog should have been shot for doing what basic instinct tells it to. there was a leash, the cop could have just put his gun away and grabbed it, rather than just automatically coming at the dog with gun drawn. dogs sense hostility and that cop that shot it just didnt handle that situation correctly and took the easy way by killing the dog. just not right in my opinion. 

I wathched on my phone so the video was a little slow, but does the dude just kinda throw the white towel in to get handcuffed? Also pretty sure the dude knows his dog is his best friend and should of rolled the windows up. I mean wether it's a dude with a knife or a dog that can kill I am defending myself.

no matter what the guy was doing, even if he was flashing his dick at the cops, and being an asshole, i still dont think that dog should have been shot for doing what basic instinct tells it to. there was a leash, the cop could have just put his gun away and grabbed it, rather than just automatically coming at the dog with gun drawn. dogs sense hostility and that cop that shot it just didnt handle that situation correctly and took the easy way by killing the dog. just not right in my opinion. 

I don't think anybody was really disagreeing or trying to justify the shooting of the dog. If anything, I would see this as the owners fault. Mind your business and go home and you won't have some dumbass trigger happy officer shooting your pets.